Well� I�m devastated. My system has been critiqued by�

jhoak

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell him Klipsch makes up in sound quality for what bose makes up in advertising money.

Perhaps even more insidious... bring your friend back over... get some LaScalas, Khorns... or even MWM's... put your friend in the sweet spot. Make sure to put YOUR hearing protection on. Take the volume to about...oh... 11 and ruin his hearing.

Now his speakers will sound the same as yours.

A Bose factory store opened near my office.Everybody(except for me) rushed out and bought one of their Surround garbage systems. Everybody without exception totally hates them and would love to dump them on some poor unsuspecting victim.

The Bose system in my Porsche sucks so bad that I installed Borla exhaust system so I would not have to listen to the audio.

The Bose system in my Tahoe sucks so bad that I listen to Rawdog comedy on XM radio. Music is completely out of the question,

As for your resident audio critic- I would feel honored rather than insulted.in his case- ignorance is bliss.

He says "Half the price..." referencing 1000.00.

So he had vintage Dynaco, Heath, Scott, Leak, and the famous "More!" for 500.00???

When was this?

Where was this?

Dave

This was early 90's. His shop was in New York City on 30 Watts St. He closed his store front later and just builds in his home. There is no website just a collection of documents he can mail to you. I'd love to have some of his gear.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/fi/mono.html

Fascinating.

Thanks for the
link. I had not heard of Herr Professor Garber. He must have been the
realization of PWK's famous "What this country needs is a good 5 watt
amplifier."

Dave

Yup

I'd like to try his Y preamp and 300b X amp.

His new prices aren't too high. The used prices on audiogon are really good when they show up.

I've kind of sat back and watched this thread unfold. Let's just say it's been VERY interesting :)

I guess that there's a couple of things that I need to clear up...

1) I'm not actually "devastated" by his evaluation of my system. That's called "sarcasm". I knew going in that he was going to be critical. How else can he justify a mega-dollar investment in something that sounds like total crap. Tis the nature of Bose-aphiles. I'm pretty happy with my current system but I know that there's room for improvement. Improvement that I'm always in pursuit of. That's whats great about this hobby. There's always and I mean ALWAYS one more tweak.

2) I have no intention of attempting to help him find a better path. It's completely up to him to educate himself. If he feels like his bloze system is the end-all-be-all of audio good for him. That means he's happy with his choices. After all isn't that what all of us are looking for? To be happy with the choices we make?

In answer to a few questions... He's a coworker. We're "friendly" but not "friends". He knows EVERYTHING, he's done EVERYTHING, and he's been EVERYWHERE. If he owns it it's the best that's ever been... PERIOD. I'm sure all of you have come across this person at some point in your life.

I make my living in the IT world. In my world we speak often of "three nines" or "four nines" and the costs associated with that last .01% or .001%. The audio world is very much the same. You can fairly easily get a system to 98% of "perfect" but that last 2% comes at a HUGE cost. At least in my case "happiness" comes from breaking a big smile when a song I know and love comes out of the speakers. The last 2%... I'll leave that for th folks that can afford it.

On the other hand... There's a pair of Belles in MA that I'l give my left nut to own. MUST MAINTAIN CONTROL... MUST MAINTAIN CONTROL... Where's the xanax? :)

I've kind of sat back and watched this thread unfold. Let's just say it's been VERY interesting :)

I guess that there's a couple of things that I need to clear up...

1) I'm not actually "devastated" by his evaluation of my system. That's called "sarcasm". I knew going in that he was going to be critical. How else can he justify a mega-dollar investment in something that sounds like total crap. Tis the nature of Bose-aphiles. I'm pretty happy with my current system but I know that there's room for improvement. Improvement that I'm always in pursuit of. That's whats great about this hobby. There's always and I mean ALWAYS one more tweak.

2) I have no intention of attempting to help him find a better path. It's completely up to him to educate himself. If he feels like his bloze system is the end-all-be-all of audio good for him. That means he's happy with his choices. After all isn't that what all of us are looking for? To be happy with the choices we make?

In answer to a few questions... He's a coworker. We're "friendly" but not "friends". He knows EVERYTHING, he's done EVERYTHING, and he's been EVERYWHERE. If he owns it it's the best that's ever been... PERIOD. I'm sure all of you have come across this person at some point in your life.

I make my living in the IT world. In my world we speak often of "three nines" or "four nines" and the costs associated with that last .01% or .001%. The audio world is very much the same. You can fairly easily get a system to 98% of "perfect" but that last 2% comes at a HUGE cost. At least in my case "happiness" comes from breaking a big smile when a song I know and love comes out of the speakers. The last 2%... I'll leave that for th folks that can afford it.

On the other hand... There's a pair of Belles in MA that I'l give my left nut to own. MUST MAINTAIN CONTROL... MUST MAINTAIN CONTROL... Where's the xanax? :)

For a man with all of 25 posts I must say you are very wise indeed. Keep the attitude. Between being an audiophile and an IT person in the modern world you have a tough row to hoe.

Dave

PS - Get the Belles.

We must work with the same guy, when i bought my Heresies he asked if they were as good as Bose. I told him I like the sound of these over anything I've herd in my life, so in my opinion they were better. So he went home and check out the specks on line, and decided it was time to get rid of his unused electronics,TVs, radios, Bose, etc... Decide to build (buy)a car faster than my stock Dodge Charger. I told him good for you, I am sticking with audio, for now.

nick

Klipsch speakers can provide the sound of a live performance and it seems like most of us like to hear live music sometimes, so we value what our speakers can give us. However, there are quite a few people who just want "the sound of music" in their home, not the sound of musicians performing. Those are the people who find Klipsch speakers "too revealing", which is a bit odd, since they rarely complain if their TV picture is "too clear"...

So he had vintage Dynaco, Heath, Scott, Leak, and the famous "More!" for 500.00???

When was this?

Where was this?

Dave

This was early 90's. His shop was in New York City on 30 Watts St. He closed his store front later and just builds in his home. There is no website just a collection of documents he can mail to you. I'd love to have some of his gear.

Hey Seti, I remember that shop, it was right down the street from the Manhattan Brewing Company. Great place for a high end audio shop-Watts street. I stopped in there and was talking to him when I mentioned that I owned Klipsch Chorus II's and how much I loved them. He slid a book off the counter and there taped to the glass was a photo of Paul Klipsch!

When was this?

Where was this?

Dave

Hey Seti, I remember that shop, it was right down the street from the Manhattan Brewing Company. Great place for a high end audio shop-Watts street. I stopped in there and was talking to him when I mentioned that I owned Klipsch Chorus II's and how much I loved them. He slid a book off the counter and there taped to the glass was a photo of Paul Klipsch!

Wow very cool. I've never been there but talked to him on the phone once. The way his gear looks harkens back to the bauhaus movement imo. Even if it sounds like crap it is great looking art. Now I have to hear a pair.....

His critique used words like “muddy bass”, “overwhelming bass”, “shrill” and “tinny”. The comment that cut the deepest was “Hell… I had an AM radio in my 66 VW beetle that sounded better than this.

I'd have used the usual reply, "that's nice." Which as we all know is Southern Belle for F**K You!

I would have followed that with a good "Bless Your Heart."