Compatible SACD formats for Marantz SA-8001 SACD player

Hello gang. The good news, is that my sound equipment I ordered has arrived. The bad news is I'll probably have to wait a couple of pay periods until I have the balance owed. Drat.

Pending receipt are a pair of Heresy III speakers, and the following Marantz separates: ST-7001 tuner, PM-7001 integrated amp, and SA-8001 SACD player.

Questions please, about recommended SACD formats to buy, for the SACD player, as I've never used an SACD player. The only source for SACD disks that I'm aware of, is "Acoustic Sounds" (AS). Here are some specs i saw, that AS offers for SACD formats: (1) Hybrid Stereo ... available on six pages of the AS-catalog. (2) Hybrid Multi-Channel ... available on twenty four pages of the AS-catalog. (3) Single-Layer Stereo ... available on four pages of the AS-catalog. Questions follow:

1. The AS-catalog only lists three types of SACD formats, so are there only three formats?

2. Will the Marantz SA-8001 SACD player play all three of the SACD formats offered in the AS-catalog?

3. The system I bought is only for stereo music (left & right speaker). It would appear from the description of the three SACD formats, that the Single-Layer Stereo format would be the best designed format for the SA-8001 SACD player. Is this correct?

4. Would the Hybrid Stereo format sound just as good as the Single-Layer format ... when played with the SA-8001 SACD player and two Heresy III stereo speakers?

5. The bigger slice of the pie appears to be the Hybrid Multi-Channel format. However, would it be a waste of money, to buy a Hybrid Multi-Channel format, if you just have a pair of speakers (for stereo)?

6. Other than the AS-catalog, what are other good sources for SACD recordings?

Your friend, Steve

Thank you for the tip, Crossman. I'll check out Amazon and music direct.

PS: I've received more clarification about the Marantz SA-8001. Following is cut-n-paste from a website, that repeats other comments about this Marantz player being a 2-channel player only: "It can only play I found the CD performance of the player to be outstanding: all new life and clarity for my existing library of CD's, and still the ability to play SACD's (in 2-channel stereo only)."

With the understanding that the SA-8001 is only a 2-channel player, does this rule out playing Hybrid Multi-Channel SACD format? Does this narrow the format-choices to hybrid stereo and to single-layer stereo, for the SA-8001?

Thanks Schu.

PS: Please don't forget that the OP is questioning about compatible SACD formats ... for a 2-channel only ... Marantz SA-8001.

If the system is 2-channel only, does this mean that hybrid multi-channel formatted SACDs would be a waste of money?

Or ... can hybrid mult-channel formatted discs be played on 2-channel stereo systems .. as a left/right stereo? It just seems odd to me on how much the available mult-channel formatted discs far outweigh the single stereo & hybrid stereo formatted discs ... with the assumption that there are a lot of folks that are still using stereo systems that they've owned since before 5.1 became so popular.

IC... sorry about that.

by nature the hybrids are the units you want more so than the single layer sacd's... hybrids, as I am sure you know are two layers with two distinct playbacks...5.1 and 2.1

All I can tell you for sure is that I play BOTH types on my ps3 and I do it throug 2 channel setup and it sound wonderful. I think it would probably sound even better in 5.1 though