Amp for RB-61

aaronram

I am brand new to the Hi-Fi world. I have been saving my pennies and have finally saved enough for a new stereo. After extensive research, I have decided to buy a pair of RB-61's, but now I have no idea how to power them. My budget is a bit small, $400, but I cannot afford much more. What would you suggest?

Welcome to the forum....

A few questions to help you get what you need.

What equipment do you currently have? What kind of connections do you need, HDMI, RCA? Are you hooking up a dvd player, game console, tv to this also? If you don't currently have other equipment, what are you planning on getting to hook up also?

It's great that you stated the price you are looking to spend. As mentioned above Onkyo receivers plus Denon and Harman Kardon. H/K has factory remanufactured items for sale on their site, here is a link.

James

I currently have a cheap Panasonic 5.1 surround sound system with a set of B&W 220 set up as stereo and Panasonic speakers set up for the surround. I am looking to have two different stereos so I am, for all practicality, starting from scratch.

I do intend to hook up DVD and a TV, but mainly through RCA stereo inputs. I am more interested in a quality stereo sound than I am in good movie sound. I am also planning on listening to my ipod on the system quite often. In this case, would it be wise to invest in a dedicated port for the ipod? I can scrape out another $100 for the dock if it is crucial for listening to the music.

Is it better to buy a stereo receiver from the above-mentioned bands or go for the 5.1, which seem to be less costly? Do I need to worry about getting something with more than 100W per channel? Or is it best to get a something like an integrated amp with fewer watts per channel?

Thank you so much for your help,

Aaron

Aaron,

Just trying to see what other connections you might need in the future to make sure that something suggested has all the connections that you will need and not have to upgrade. It's always better to upgrade because you want to not cause you have to.

For 2-channel might I suggest an Outlaw RR2150. It is over you budget but you might be able to find it used, if you don't mind used gear. The good thing about this unit, it has pre-out with a sub-out. So you can connect an external amp later if you want and the sub-out can turn your 2-channel into a great 2.1. It also has a front mini-jack for your I-Pod connection.

Is it better to buy a stereo receiver from the above-mentioned bands or go for the 5.1, which seem to be less costly?

That is totally up to you, plus it will give you some options if you want to add more speakers later. Also take a look at the used market, AudioGon, Craigslist, and here in the "Garage" area. As always with purchasing used gear, if you are not comfortable with the deal don't do it.

Do I need to worry about getting something with more than 100W per channel?

No, the great thing about Klipsch is the are efficient, doesn't need a lot of power to crank them. On the same note the more power the louder you can take them without clipping. Some people run 10 watt tubes and others run 300 watt amps, it's all about head room.

Or is it best to get a something like an integrated amp with fewer watts per channel?

If you really want you can look for something that has pre-outs so later down the line if you want more power you can add an external amp and use the receiver as your pre. This way you can switch your external amp all you want as long as you still have all the connections that you need for your gear.

Just remember whatever sounds good to you is the best out there.

James

I had a set of Rb61s for several months. Very efficent speaker that will run fine on just about anything. Good choice.Suggest crusing the bargain basement lists at Crutchfield or Vanns for a closeout or discontinued receiver. Also open box specials at BB. Lots of bargains out there now