Pro horns in the home?

MikeSt

Standing the MWM on end might be unwise unless you brace it so the motor board remains vertical. Woofer sag over time might be the result of storing or playing any bass bin in less than vertical plane.

I always knew that under the rough exterior, the pro stuff is pretty whimpy.

Standing the MWM on end might be unwise unless you brace it so the motor board remains vertical. Woofer sag over time might be the result of storing or playing any bass bin in less than vertical plane.

I have several KP680SW woofers that are ruined from storage in the wrong plane.

I guess that wouldn't say much for the bazillion cabinets that have their drivers on an angle. So... do you rotate your woofers now?

Don't worry Richard... the toes will be fine.

Bruce

You can get woofer sag with your drivers in a vertical alignment too...

I've found that rotating drivers is a good short term solution, but it seems that after a while the suspensions start to get so loose that even rotating doesn't fix it for more than a few hours. But when a driver gets that old, a recone should probably be considered anyway since the diaphragm starts to lose its rigidity too.

Woofer sag. Now there's something I'm going to worry about. [:D] It would probably take many years. My 1973 cornwalls sound excellent still. So should I lay them down a certain way so they don't sag on me? I would just stand the MWMs up and be done with it, and not give a second thought. They probably sound good in a room standing up like that too. Just my $.02

The big problem I would have with that would be a center

Ya know... I never thought I'd see the day when I suggested to someone they use a Jubilee as a 'filler' speaker Surprise

That's funny, that would be a mean filler speaker but it would not fit............but you just gave me an idea, that will probably get me in big trouble.

Build one more MWM single bin, do away with the TV cabinet and set the TV on the single bin which would leave room for a 402 horn above the TV. Idea I am dead meat, she likes the TV cabinet it has little shelves to hold little things she has on them.

It is an idea to remember for when the Tv dies and I am forced to get one that can hang on the back wall, I will just say Coytee said it would sound good !

Yo, Eldon,

I'm down to a single bin on my R and L channels. Other than adding 3 db more power to the remaining woofer on each side, there is not difference in sound quality (IOW I'm using 2/10 of a watt instead of 1/10 of a watt for normal detailed listening). Other than holding up your 402 at ear level, your top bin just 'aint doin' much. So, I suppose you could "suffer" with just a single MWMs in the center and a smaller treble horn.

• Moderators

After thinking about it a little I might try just using phantom and see how that sounds. It's not a big deal to leave the all forte Ht, but in the long run I may do something.

I have a feeling after I hear the MWM/402 sounding much better than the fortes I will want to do something different.

I'm down to a single bin on my R and L channels. Other than adding 3 db more power to the remaining woofer on each side, there is not difference in sound quality (IOW I'm using 2/10 of a watt instead of 1/10 of a watt for normal detailed listening). Other than holding up your 402 at ear level, your top bin just 'aint doin' much. So, I suppose you could "suffer" with just a single MWMs in the center and a smaller treble horn.

If a single bin sounds fine for each main speaker, that frees up a pair of bins for surround duty. Imagine, an all-MWM 5.1 system, with maybe a Jubilee as centre! Could it get more decadent/extreme than that? [:P]

• Moderators

If a single bin sounds fine for each main speaker, that frees up a pair of bins for surround duty. Imagine, an all-MWM 5.1 system, with maybe a Jubilee as centre! Could it get more decadent/extreme than that?

It would take a big room but if your going that crazy just use double bins there easy enough to make, and a nice giant folded or taped horn sub. A nice 30' X 40' room would do nicely with about 25 seats or just pillows so they can be removed and make a big dance floor.

I would just stand the MWMs up and be done with it, and not give a second thought. They probably sound good in a room standing up like that too. Just my $.02

Standing up or laying down, the driver will still be verticle.

These altecs gave me the idea for standing them up. I already have the drawings for stands (sketches, anyway...).

post-7149-13819475363978_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

That's nice looking Altecs !

If you were sure you wanted to stand them up all you would have to do is not cut off the extra wood from the top and bottom sheet of each cabinet (one end only) and it would make like legs. Add a brace between the two ends, just to stop any vibrations, you would have a 67'' tall bass cabinet !

They would look just like the Altecs if you were to cut the back top off at the angle like the MWM cabinet.