Reference series woofer damage?

Newless

Hey guys, I need some input.

A couple of weeks ago I blew a tweeter in one of my RF-82's. I took it apart and seen that the mid-range had two small wires leading to the woofer itself. One of these wires was not touching the woofer at all. It looks as if it should be.
I knew the tweeter was blown, and that was replaced.
I picked the speaker up today from the AD, the salesperson said that yes it was indeed the tweeter. I inquired about the midrange as well, of course I didn't want to tell them I had opened the speaker myself to avoid any warranty problems.
She had said that after the tweeter was replaced and everything sounded fine.
So...and I haven't listened to it yet, what is this wire and will it affect my SQ?
I know this post is probably premature since I haven't hooked it up yet, but I thought I'd start things rolling.
Anyone?
Thanks

Its not terribly uncommon for an input wire to come loose while a speaker is in transport. I had that happen to the RF-7s I used to own when I brought them home from a local seller.

You should really take the woofer out and reconnect the wire. If that stray wire touches anything metal inside the speaker while its hooked up to your receiver and your receiver is turned on, it will cause your receiver to go into protect mode for sure and could even damage your receiver.

It probably would be easier to take out the woofer carefully so that you can see where the wire needs to be hooked up.

The speaker probably still sounds ok and if the AD wasn't told about the loose wire in the woofer they probably wouldn't have checked the woofers if you didn't mention the loose wire. But, like I said, you definitely want to hook that wire back up!

Its not terribly uncommon for an input wire to come loose while a speaker is in transport. I had that happen to the RF-7s I used to own when I brought them home from a local seller.

You should really take the woofer out and reconnect the wire. If that stray wire touches anything metal inside the speaker while its hooked up to your receiver and your receiver is turned on, it will cause your receiver to go into protect mode for sure and could even damage your receiver.

It probably would be easier to take out the woofer carefully so that you can see where the wire needs to be hooked up.

The speaker probably still sounds ok and if the AD wasn't told about the loose wire in the woofer they probably wouldn't have checked the woofers if you didn't mention the loose wire. But, like I said, you definitely want to hook that wire back up!

Yeah, but I think I would have to solder it back on?? I not sure I trust myself to do that.

I'll take a look later tonight.

Klipsch didn't solder all their connections, they a lot of times used the clip-on type. That's probably what yours is and if you want to crimp the connector slightly to make a tighter fit that might not be a bad idea. Don't crimp it too tight though.

Wuzzer, I think he is referring to the tinsel leads from the voice coil to the cone itself, and not the wires feeding the woofer from the crossover (crimped connectors) from his description.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

I've tried a few of my well know cd's and watch a movie the other night. It all sounds the same.

Wouldn't it suck it I couldn't tell the difference between that driver producing the propers freqs, or not?

I guess if it sounds the same to me then it's all good. I didn't open the speaker up again because I didn't feel that I had to.

I'll let ya know if the sound makes a change.