No NHL playoffs thread yet?! Go WINGS!!!

dkp

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK folks. I'm starting to have a problem with the crowd at the Joe. They seem to have a sense of entitlement a la Yankees baseball fans. This is not a good thing. Especially when the Yankees of hockey are the Canadiens anyway. Totally (well mostly) off the subject, if you want to record a hockey crowd Montreal is THE place to do it, but don't get me wrong, I'm not a habs fan, especially the way they treated Guy Carbonneau this year.

Good game, way to go Wings!

Helm, Kronwall and Ericson are going to be studs for the Wings in the very near future. These guys have a HUGE upside! Helm reminds me of Datsuk when he first came into the league.

NHL vice president of operations Colin Campbell has rescinded the
automatic one-game suspension Pittsburgh star Evgeni Malkin was facing
for receiving an instigating penalty with 19 seconds to play in the
third period, when he started a fight with Henrik Zetterberg.

The rules state a player who receives an instigating penalty in the final five minutes shall be suspended the following game.

Here's the NHL's explanation in its release:

DETROIT (May 31, 2009) -- National Hockey League Executive Vice

President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell issued the

following statement regarding the instigator penalty assessed to

Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin at 19:41 of the third period of tonight's Game 2

of the Stanley Cup Final:

Rule 47.22 states: "A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an

altercation in the final five minutes or at any time in overtime shall be

suspended for one game, pending a review of the incident. The director of

hockey operations will review every such incident and may rescind the

suspension based on a number of criteria. The criteria for the review shall

include, but not be limited to, the score, previous incidents, etc..."

Following that review, Campbell said: "None of the criteria in this

rule applied in this situation. Suspensions are applied under this rule

when a team attempts to send a message in the last five minutes by having a

player instigate a fight. A suspension could also be applied when a player

seeks retribution for a prior incident. Neither was the case here and

therefore the one game suspension is rescinded."

NHL Hockey Operations also determined that Malkin should have been

assessed a game misconduct for not having his jersey tied down.

GO WINGS!

Let's hope we get Pavel Datsyuk and Kris Draper back for game 3.

File:Icing.PNGIcing in ice hockey occurs when a player shoots the puck across at least two red lines, the opposing team's goal line being the last, and the puck remains untouched. When icing occurs, a linesman stops play. Play is resumed with a faceoff in the defending zone of the team that committed the infraction.

For a puck shot towards the top of the diagram, example "A" is not icing. Example "B" is icing.

post-18740-1381947529044_thumb.jpg

what's the point of this penalty? to keep teams fro slap shotting the puck into open ice, to make play more interesting by forcing teams to pass or handle the puck more as it crosses from defense to offensive side?

Yes, that is precisely it. Without icing, a team could resort to a purely defensive mode by just shooting the puck accross to the other end of the ice, instead of actually attempting an offensive play down at that other end. Like you said- it is to keep play more interesting.

Watching it tonight via satellite on the Versus channel (in full HD - of course) insteaf of OTA via NBC (also in full HD). So far, tied up 2 to 2 with just shy of two minutes in the 1st period. Detriot just chalked up a penalty, now leaving Pittsburgh with a power play. Interesting that Pittsburgh had too many men on the ice at one point, that went uncalled. But hey, whats an extra player or two, eh? Spices up the game that much more [;)]

Now, with the big thunderstorms rolling through this area, I am wondering if I'll lose my TV signal (severe thunderstorm warnings in effect).

Well, 1st period is done with a score of 2 to 2.

Finally go my signal back during the third period.

Well, the Pens took this one with a 4 to 2 win!!! Wow, what a friggan game! Was tied up pretty much until the last 6 minutes or so of the third period until the Pens managed to rocket one right into the net.

GO PENGUINS!

Series stands as follows - Wings 2, Pens 1. On to game #4 Thursday night!

The one thing I really hate about satellite! F'ing rain fade! Well, watching the game was fun while it lasted (and just when it was getting really good!)..... Angry

yeah, isn't digital GREAT! [8o|] What a load of $^&*(, thank God they're taking away the airwaves soon, so I won't even be able to switch over to standard antenna with the storms hit. What will people do for extreme weather information when their digital TV's are out?

Icing makes line changes harder to do too since you can't just dump and switch...

in English please LOL

Dump and switch: dump the puck deep into the opponents' zone (behind their goalie) while your team conducts a line change.

yeah, isn't digital GREAT! Super Angry What a load of $^&*(, thank God they're taking away the airwaves soon, so I won't even be able to switch over to standard antenna with the storms hit. What will people do for extreme weather information when their digital TV's are out?

It's not the fact that it is digital, but the fact it is coming off a satellite. My over-the-air digital was still coming in perfectly fine during these storms (how I wish they could've kept the game on NBC as I would've not lost the signal, as I get my local channels OTA via a roof antenna).

Reguler over-the-air digital is no more effected than over-the-air analog. At least I won't be seeing constant static due to lightening like I did with analog.