"Never pair Klipsch with a Yamaha receiver" Is this true?

syzygy

Michael,

Is that a JBL horn in your avatar? A 2365?

Bruce

I think that's the number- it's the 60x40 one. I have the cast throats and am currently using a spare set of K69A (Jubilee) drivers. Looking to get a heavier duty set of K1132's or JBL's though. See my thread under Pilgrimage/IndyFest for details on how this stack is set up.

Try reducing the speaker toe-in, maybe even aiming the speakers straight ahead, rather than toward the listening position. That may reduce and soften the treble a bit.

The newer Yamaha receivers sound less "lush" than the older models, but they're also more clear. Once you get your setup dialed in, you may prefer the more detailed sound.

if it's too bright- it's probably the ROOM!

How come no one ever wants to consider the speaker/components are only about 70% of what your hearing ?

Everyone wants to just skip past it like it doesn't exist and change everything else to get a decent match to the room, it's just crazy when sometimes a couple rugs or minor things can make big changes.

Sorry for the rant but probably half of the claimed speaker problems are not the speakers.

i hear what you are saying and makes a lot of sense - maybe many blame the speaker or amplification than the room treatment - as it is much easier to treat the speaker than it is to treat the room, especially if one has to consider WAF.

• Moderators

It all depends on how you treat the wife. [:D]

Just kidding I have seen some wives that are only happy making someone else miserable, or thats how it appeared, I don't know how people put up with it ?

Some people consider Yamaha audio equip. to be "bright"

Some people consider horn loaded speakers to be "bright"

So its certainly concievable that bright + bright = double bright.

You decide. For me horns need tubes on the uppers. No way around it.

Those are generalities that certainly don't apply in every case. With my newest Yamaha receiver, once I got it dialed in and got used to it in the living room, I came to prefer its more detailed sound over the sound of the older model, which serves well for casual listening in the bedroom.

As for the JubScalas, I'd call them "accurate and smooth", rather than "bright". The Yamaha receiver/preamp combined with the Yamaha power amps gives a sound that's clear and pleasant and that has impressed every listener so far.

Those are generalities that certainly don't apply in every case.

Exactly. Which is why I carefully used the " some people" in those statements. In audio I have determined just about NOTHING is true for everybody.

As for the JubScalas, I haven't had the honor, but, I bet they are smooth. Every livingroom should have a pair. [<:o)]

Newbie, first post . . .

FWIW, my post-divorce "man cave" is the family room in my home. Basically, my HT audio setup (7.2) consists of a Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver, driving four Quartets (front mains and rear surrounds), a Boston VRC center channel speaker, a pair of Boston VRB bookshelf speakers as front surrounds, and a pair of Velodyne SPL800 subs. Admittedly a mix-match of speakers which I set up in my new home after the divorce. The room is oddly shaped and not the best to be using as a "home theater", but it's all I've got.

My system is used mostly for watching HD cable and Blu-Ray movies, and it sounds AWESOME! Definitely NOT too bright.

Years ago, with my first "serious" system (strictly 2-channel), I bought my first pair of Quartets which were powered by a MUCH older Yamaha receiver. That system was most definitely too "bright". Never could get it set up or adjusted to my liking. That was some 20+ years ago.

welcome Lloyd, this thread must of really got your attention for it being your first post. again welcom and post lots. This is truly a great and fun place.

When I first brought my Klipsch which was married to Yamaha AVR admittingly I found it bright, but now totally love it. Totally. But I must say thanks to these people here I have made many changes to my system, including many changes to the settings on Yamaha, added power amp, now using yamaha as pre, better dvd player, RC7 and now I am loving it.

I once wrote "i would never be truly happy with my HT" as we always want what we dont have. but now I am truly happy. I am loving it, thanks to these people spending my money [:P] One thing for sure around here we love spending other peoples money.

So at this stage I havent resorted to moving couches, coffee table, rug and gold fish just yet. but you never know one day that gold fish might just have to go. But in saying this I know, not really know but if the people here say so then i believe it, that room treatment plays a huge part on the way it sounds.

Finally, from my listening and tweaking this system I find the HT performs very well and 7 channel music is good too..but put vocally strong music in 2 channel like R. Plant, Seal, even Tracy Chapman or classical music and there is some harshness and brightness that is taxing especially at the volume I normally listen. So, if HT is OK its probably me but after coming across the Klipsch/Yamaha Oil/Water opinions before I thought I would see what you think. I know these aren't heritage speakers but they should be sounding better than they do and I don't know why. FYI, I have tried all three EQ settings offered by the receiver, low seems to work best.

Probably should just keep it for movies and parties and have a separate 2 channel for music I dunno.

I had a Yamaha HTR 5790 for several years. It was my first surround sound receiver. I thought its equalization with YPAO was excellent and really enjoyed the movies I played. However, I just upgraded to a Denon AVR 3808CI and have been knocked out with the difference. The tonal balance is much better and the equalization is better. Surround sound is VERY much better. If you want the best of both worlds you won't do bad with a Denon.

Your particular Yammy is rated at 120 wpc x 7 -- but it's not an "all channels driven" specification. Depending on far away you sit and how loud you're playing, the "brightness" you're hearing could very well be clipping. Does it sound bright at low to moderate listening levels? Try attenuating the horns with the Yammy's eq and then drive up the volume. If bringing down the horn doesn't alleviate the brightness issue -- then you're probably overdriving the amp section of the receiver.

I'm also a Denon 3808ci user, and I was actually quite disappointed with the sound when I first put it into the system. I was pushing a pair of RB-5s, and though it wasn't horrible, it was the worst sound I'd ever heard out of the RB-5 -- which I consider to be a great monitor. When I got the Definitive towers (92dB/2.83v) into the system, it wasn't much better. I wanted to drop kick the unit to the curb. The Denon is rated at 130 wpc, and in 2-channel direct mode I thought it sounded pretty weak, especially the imaging, which was as flat as wallpaper. Out of shear boredom one night I decided to pick up the manual and read about the features I knew I'd probably never use. I ran across a section where I learned I could biamp the mains with the unused surround channels if I was only doing 5.1. The Definitives have a lot of drivers running in parallel, and they dip down to almost 3 ohms is places -- so I decided to biamp to see if it would make any difference. It made a big difference. Even at lower volume levels, the sound opened up quite a bit. It certainly played louder without strain because of the extra power -- but the improvement in imaging was pretty noticeable. I don't think the extra power was responsible for the improvement -- but probably due to splitting the difficult load between two amplifier modules. I wish I still had the RB-5s to see if it would have made a difference with them. The RB-5 doesn't dip low, but impedance swings all over the place (attached). At any rate, the Denon became a keeper and I've been pretty happy with it.

The 3808ci retails for $1700, whereas that Yamaha retails for $850. With all of these receivers, most of the money goes into the front end. I had a Denon rep tell me that if they made a processor using just the front end of the 3808ci, it would cost almost as much as what they're charging for the whole amp. Anyone with a bigger room or who likes to jack on the volume really needs to invest in a good amplifier to help take the load off of the receiver.

post-3205-13819475090568_thumb.jpg

Dean,

Thanks for the reply and info. I will try and tweak and then bi-amp. The KSP can actually be tri-amped/wired. But I'll go with the bi-amp first.

I don't think clipping is the issue but lightening the load may help.

Jeff

Could you provide pics of your setup?

For starters I would highly recommend turning off the YPAO - at least for the troubleshooting process. And can you check your speaker polarity? (looking at the wires, not at what the YPAO tells you).

Is there any particular reason why you think the highs are the problem? A lack of bass will sound every bit as bright as extra highs...it's all relative.

Compared to other receivers the yamaha's tend to lean towards the bright side, but I would be very surprised if changing the receiver will achieve the difference you're looking for.

I've read this thread a couple time through over the last couple days. Everytime I see the title... it really bugs me. I have heard statements similar to "Never pair Klipsch with a Yamaha." I use a Yamaha CR-1020 amplifier to power my LaScalas and my Cornwalls. I absolutely love the sound. I just don't think it is a valid blanket statement. Of course, my experience with the newer Yamahas is very limited. Sorry to interrupt the discussion and rant.... now back to business. [:P]