FUNK YOU...

thebes

So are we only going with a certain type of funk, cause I just picked up a few new Rolling Stones albums. And some of it sounds funky to me, boy am I digging it. Keep in mind this is coming from a 27 year old metal/deathmetal head.

nick

Pick up some George Clinton and Parliament. I'd pick up their albums Chocalate City or Mothership Connection or Maggot Brain. Psychedelic Funk!!! http://www.georgeclinton.com/

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So back in the day a drinking buddy and I are dating these 2 ladies that are a little on the uppidity side. Their idea of getting wild and crazy was sipping 1 or 2 fruity drinks at the local disco and dancing to the Average White band. Another buddy offers me his beach house for the weekend. We ask the girls to go and that idea get shot in flames- but THEY suggested that we go to a music festival in a nearby town featuring some local funky music talent. Sounds like a plan. We get there and the crowd is a little sketchy but nobody is bothering us and my buddy and I have 2 1/2 pints of jack Daniels hidden so we are having a great time. The girls are overdressed and a little nervous. About half way through the show this wild man wearing a ridiculious costume consisting of a ski mask and a Spiderman suit runs out on the stage. His name was Disco Blowfly or something like that. He grabs the mike and yells" IS EVERY BODY GONNA GET F- - - ED TONITE???? I SAY YEAH!!!!!. He breaks into a song with the with the most obscene lyrics that I have ever heard in my life. My buddy and I are hollering and laughing our a--es off and the girls are F R E A K I N G O U T . The girls literally dragged us out of the show. It was OUR(the guys) fault- we should have known. The louder we laughed the madder they got. Things went downhill from this point.

Priceless memory.

You should check these guys out http://www.bootyband.com/

When we were in Asheville last year we ate here http://www.edbbq.com/asheville-restaurant.php as they had a nice selection of microbrews to go with the excellent BBQ. Anyway, we got to talking to our waiter, and learned that he was a horn player for Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band and he just happened to have a copy of their CD on him........ which he threw on the CD player...We had a good time there, and plan to go back again.

• Moderators

Funk is ths shiz!

Seti i am surprised JWC hadn't had more to say about this, he is the king of funk, probably has more than everyone here together, it's his favorite.

So are we only going with a certain type of funk, cause I just picked up a few new Rolling Stones albums. And some of it sounds funky to me, boy am I digging it. Keep in mind this is coming from a 27 year old metal/deathmetal head.

nick

I'm thinking of Some Girls- yes it had the FUNK

After a search of my old vinyl and CDs I find myself Funkless. All of my Al Green CDs were stolen a few years ago and it looks like the Funkadelic stuff was in the same case- gone as well. Off to the CD store to regroup. Some stuff from this thread will soon be blaring through the Macintosh and the K horns. Maybe I will open the windows and let the neighbors enjoy it as well -

nick

I'm thinking of Some Girls- yes it had the FUNK

Far Away Eyes??

Wow, they're great. Robbed blind by Sique Sique Sputnick -

I'll see your Kraut pop-electronica & raise you with Klaus Nomi -

Of course the shadow of Giorgio Moroder can be seen all over this stuff.

I like all these bands better than Kraftwork. I have a theory that they are just a joke band and the joke went too far. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate them for what they are and when they did it but it is dull to me. My friends chastise me for my opinion but oh welll.

Sique Sigue Sputnick lol 3 chords, 2 drummers, 1 lyric. Simply brilliant.
Iistened to AtariBaby on vinyl last night!!!!!! I love them. I love to hate them. Rip off artist and they are proud of it. Topny James recently remixed alot of their second album which was better than I expected.

Oh yeah man Klaus Nomi is nutz in a good way :) Almost the male Nina Hagen.

Almost the male Nina Hagen.

15 degrees of separation, I was just talking about Nina last Saturday to a friend. Probably the 1st time I'd thought about her in 20 years! I used to have a great Nina Hagen, Europe '79 tour t-shirt.

People confuse Nina with Nena (her of 99 Luftballon), not the same thing at all!