Custom build

jason str

i went down the path of "sub-dum" in '07 and '08. it will drive you nuts. i am bored now, sohere is my diatribe:

my 2 cents, in brief (see the profile below for this king of bass). you need to decide:

1. how much real estate can this stuff take up? major issue in my bedroom. currently resolved with an rsw-15. plan to add a behr 18 this summer, if i can find space. i do want 2 subs to even out the bass. given that you will likely use the sub up to at least 80 or 100 hz, the sound WILL be directional. real estate is not an issue in my large main room. ***remember-physics is physics. a 3 sq ft sub cannot go very low regarless of spec sheet mis-information. if you want real sub 30 hz tones, your sub will have to be big.

2. do you need a premade solution, can you build a sub-even with some help as needed, etc. the more you can build the less expensive the solution. my commercial subs also have separate amps. this stuff is butt ugly with WAF of -10 (=frying pan aimed at your head). sort of like asking do you want a lascala or a belle. to me the belle is furniture-and costs it, the LS (like my old ones) is a speaker (kinda ugly too), but less costly. if you don't wanna go klipsch new or used, but want premade, i suggest reading the voluminous posts under craigsub's list at avs forums from '07 and '08. for diy, there are tons of other links and forums.

3. how big is your space? you need to figure cubic feet. how harsh is your space. "soft" spaces will absorb more sound. in my 15 x 15 x 14 bedroom a single rws 15 is sweet. in my 17 x 40 x 14 main room, i need my 18" drivers. i think subs are the only speaker component largely driven by room size.

4. speaker matching. not an issue to my ears in my rooms. you have to decide this ahead of time. if you desire to match the tonal qualities of your main spkrs, and cannot afford new, bide your time and buy used. o/w, follow the advice below or diy.

beyond klipsch - av123, epik, and eD have good reps at moderate prices. EG, a single 15" with amp at av123 will cost ? $600-800; that is a rock bottom price for this field in a highly rated sub. none of them are household names. they might all be internet only retailers. they are all well rated on craigsub's and other lists. svs, hsu, aci are other good names, but pricier. there are many others worthy of mention too.

ports: my behringers are ported. my madisons have a 2' x 8" slot, kinda like a port. the 9 yr old 2 single driver behrs are louder than a single new 2 driver cabinet madison - go figure. but the "tonal" qualities are similar. it's not the port per se, but the tuning, that likely crapped out on you in the past.

foam: the partsexpress kit subs have it, but many if not most larger driver diy subs do not use foam. my madisons do not, i think my behrs have a thin rim of foam encircling the driver-not the cabinet, i don't think the rsw is foamed.

hope this helps you and others :))