Need suggestions for Movie Nite tonight

Youthman

• Moderators

I've invited 5 friends over for a Movie Nite but need some suggestions. I'm looking for some form of action flick but fairly clean. Are there any good new or semi-new Bluray's that are good?

I currently have:
Transformers
Kung Fu Panda
Ocean's Thirteen
Ironman
Pirates: Curse of the Black Pearl
Cast Away
The Dark Knight
Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Leatherheads
Narnia: Prince Caspian
Ratatouille

• Moderators

It will be only adults, I can handle violence as long as it isn't blood and gore and I personally don't care to watch a movie that is filled with vulgarity. Dropping the F bomb every few sentences just seems like the script writer has a limited vocabulary.

Most of the movies I listed I got when I bought my PS3 from a forum member. I have not yet watched Ocean's Thirteen, Indiana Jones, Leatherheads or Ratatouille.

• Moderators

Rescue Dawn

3:10 To Yuma(one brief non-revealing "scene")

Flight of the Phoenix(great sub workout)

Thx for the recommendations. I haven't seen any of them, not big on westerns but Rescue Dawn and Flight of the Phoenix looks good. Think I'll pick up Flight of the Pheonix.

• Moderators

Best part about it, my company says they have not seen it either. Do you know how hard it is to find a movie that 6 people have not seen? LOL. Usually someone has seen it. Even if the movie stinks, we can say it was worth the price of admission. [:P]

• Moderators

Just looked up the content on the Pheonix.

One f-word. About 25
uses of the s-word. "A--," "h---," "bloody" and "d--n" (used once with
"god") all make appearances as well. God’s name is abused more than a
dozen times; Jesus’ more than a half-dozen.

Rescue Dawn has about the same.

Why can't they make action movies without so much language? Frustrating. Probably going to pass and look for something else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSy96KB7Dh4 Valkyrie

I dont know if your into WWll Movies but i thought it was a great movie..Just my 2 cents.. I dont think swearing was an issue...There was a scene in the movie (where he take the family in the bomb shelter) that hit pretty hard (LF).I think it was at the 23:00 minute mark... It made me turn it down a knotch..when 2 pictures fell off my wall...lol...oooops

BN

If youre not a fan of the vulgar language than you may want to look into one of the censorship devices. My minister uses one in his Klipsch based home theater and it does a decent job of filtering the langauge. At times it is comical how it filters. I am not sure what the box is called.

NOT Dark Knight if there are any children in attendance.

Ocean's Thirteen is pretty harmless as I recall. Neat action flick, not too loud.

Pirates is long but ok, Transformers is just plain bad unless you love terrorizing your guests with sound effects.

Hello Youthman,

I'm a big fan of "The Last Mimzy".. As impressed with it as I was ET when it first came out.. Very exciting, decent action, good story, great sound.. And best of all everyone can watch it.. Kids may stray as the music in a good theater can get entence, but that's half the fun.. They're out of the room before anything even happens.. Especially with a good sub. :-) Don't know if it's on Blu-Ray, but very good flick for all ages.. I still like to watch it.. I've seen it three times..

-fab5

• Moderators

We had a great time tonight. One family brought over chicken lasagna, another brought carrot cake and a chocolate dessert. I fixed fresh corn on the cob, bread and drinks. We had dinner together, then headed to the theater room.

The Mummy was excellent! Fun plot, several great LFE scenes and smoothe sound effects throughout the movie. It looked and sounded great. I have not seen any of the Mummy movies so I'll have to go back and watch 1 and 2 sometime...then it will give me an excuse to watch 3 again.

One scene I remember, it was a very subtle, quiet scene, then BOOM! Explosion that shook the entire room. Now that's what I'm talking about! Definitely not a kid movie (at least for my 3, 6, 8 and 10 yr old). Probably would give them nightmares. Very little language throughout (which is good).

The disk has a cool feature that I've yet to see called U Control. Very cool interactive. When turned on, a small U icon is down in the right corner. When a scene has interactive content (directors commentary, PIP, Trivia etc), additional icons appear above the U. If you select one, the movie volume reduces and the interactive content happens while the movie continues. There is one scene where the armies arise from the ground and begin to form to attack. One of the U Controls allows you to switch between 4 camera options (Storyboard Drawings, Raw Footage, CGI Renderings and the Finished Composite). Pretty sweet. I'll have to check out the features later tonight or tomorow.

To be honest, I wasn't sure I would like it but I was thoroughly impressed with it. Highly recommend it. [Y] [Y]

Best part was seeing the smiling faces on my guests as they walked out of the theater room having enjoyed themselves.