What is the Best Product to split the signal for Biamping? Bryston 10b, Dbx 223, other

BE36

Considering Biamping 88 La Scalas, SS for Low End, MC-240 for Mids & Highs. Is a Dbx 223 transparent enough? Do most Poeple use kits? Bryston 10b? Marchand?

Only major requirement is that do to budget concerns - need to use RCAs out of Pre-amp and into all Amps.

Guest David H

For a while I was using the Behringer Ultracurve, really a great sounding unit for low $$$. I think the model # is DCX-2496.

"Does the Tubed Cross over Still suffer "Loose Bass?" - Not that I have heard. I've used a Marchand XM26 for a few years and it (like most of Phil's offerings) seems to step out of the way.

After trying several approaches to mixing SET and digital amps, I'd suggest an active xover if you're going to bi-amp. A Marchand XM9 2-way xover will do nicely in your setup. The xover is very quiet, adds little or nothing to the sound and allows you to adjust the damping factor which is very handy when you're trying to mix n' match amplifiers - especially SS and tubed. You can get the kits for @$500 or they show up every so often on A'gon for $300-350 and the modules cost $25/set. Have fun.

Prices dropping. A set of Heathkit X0-1s just sold for a little over $300 on the bay. A year ago I saw a set fetch 1K. I use a set of the Heathkits on my Altec 846Bs and am very pleased. Working on a three way version tube crossover for my LS. Film at eleven.

• 11 years later...
On 6/2/2009 at 2:06 PM, JBryan said:

"Does the Tubed Cross over Still suffer "Loose Bass?" - Not that I have heard. I've used a Marchand XM26 for a few years and it (like most of Phil's offerings) seems to step out of the way.

After trying several approaches to mixing SET and digital amps, I'd suggest an active xover if you're going to bi-amp. A Marchand XM9 2-way xover will do nicely in your setup. The xover is very quiet, adds little or nothing to the sound and allows you to adjust the damping factor which is very handy when you're trying to mix n' match amplifiers - especially SS and tubed. You can get the kits for @$500 or they show up every so often on A'gon for $300-350 and the modules cost $25/set. Have fun.

Bryan, i have a xm26 full modified, dact, duelund, etc. Which xover do you have now?

I also have Oris with Aer bd3 with ripoles. Ss for ripoles and 2a3 fot horns.thanks

Welcome to the forum - talk about pulling up an 'ancient' thread! I'm still using the XM26 w/45SET monos powering the Oris/AER horns and various digital amps on the bass bins. Honestly, aside from a few tweaks over the years, my main system is the same as it was 10-15 years ago. If I want to 'play', I have a vintage system where I change components every few months and a set up in the living room that's seemingly in constant flux. Hope you're safe and having fun!