Best Buy selling new vinyl records

wilbucd

I am no expert, but would guess anything new is going to be digital at some point in the recording process these days. A lot of the vinyl reissues will say they have been done on all tube/analog equipment.

It's been my experience that the new vinyl is just vinyl CD, often worse sounding than CD. That's the way it is with the popular titles anyway, but the more underground stuff usually sounds good. For instance my Stephen Malkamus (ex-Pavement) record is the best recording I've ever heard. My Foo Fighters and Trail of Dead records are total garbage.

I never spend more than $15 for a new record, but I suspect those Best Buy ones are just $20+ vinyl CD garbage.

It's been my experience that the new vinyl is just vinyl CD, often worse sounding than CD.  That's the way it is with the popular titles anyway, but the more underground stuff usually sounds good.  For instance my Stephen Malkamus (ex-Pavement) record is the best recording I've ever heard.  My Foo Fighters and Trail of Dead records are total garbage. 

I never spend more than $15 for a new record, but I suspect those Best Buy ones are just $20+  vinyl CD garbage.

My experience is just the opposite. I find that new re- issued vinyl is in almost every instance vastly superior to the original vinyl and even more so when compared to the CD. In some cases that experience is with higher cost "audiophile" versions in other instances it's not.

JMHO

josh

It's been my experience that the new vinyl is just vinyl CD, often worse sounding than CD.  That's the way it is with the popular titles anyway, but the more underground stuff usually sounds good.  For instance my Stephen Malkamus (ex-Pavement) record is the best recording I've ever heard.  My Foo Fighters and Trail of Dead records are total garbage. 

I never spend more than $15 for a new record, but I suspect those Best Buy ones are just $20+  vinyl CD garbage.

My experience is just the opposite. I find that new re- issued vinyl is in almost every instance vastly superior to the original vinyl and even more so when compared to the CD. In some cases that experience is with higher cost "audiophile" versions in other instances it's not.

JMHO

josh

JMHO

josh

I don't have any experience with re-issued vinyl, I was talking about the popular music kids listen to that they put out as more of a novelty for them.

Sometimes you can tell it's going to be pretty good recording when it's on 180 gram vinyl. I still won't pay $25 for a record though, thats seems ridiculous to me. Most of the new stuff I get I order straight from the record labels at $8 - $15, usually $12.

I was talking about the popular music kids listen to that they put out as more of a novelty for them.

Some bands and artists seem to think of it as more than a novelty, for instance when Beck released Modern Guilt on vinyl with a certificate to allow downloading the album's tunes as MP3s. It was also released as a CD, but in this case the CD seemed to be the afterthought or novelty.