Help customizing a Pioneer SX-303R

HELP!!!

I managed to acquire a Pioneer SX-303R, that was said to power up, but no sound. I'm a electronics novice, but have fooled with some electronics in the past and made them work.

I read reviews on this unit and am not impressed, said to be VERY COLORED in output. This gives me an idea. I have a pair of the Klipsch 2.0 computer speakers that I was happy with, but with the volume pot issue, I'm ready to trash them.

I had a few DEEP thoughts:

I have a pair of Heresy II's that are currently unused, wouldn't they make great computer speakers. How do I power them. I have a pair of Orion 50X2 automotive amps. What if I come up with a AC/DC power converter and screw them to the back of my computer desk. I could bridge them into mono and wire them for left and right channels.

Since I acquired the unworking Pioneer Reciever, a new thought occurred. Since the amp section is terrible, what if I place the reciever on a shelf, under my computer moniter, with the amp section bypassed, and mount the Orion amps on top of the reciever, using the internal power transformer as the power section for the Orion amps.

Wouldn't that be Cool, for a DIY'er geek?

Questions:

Is the AC/DC converter in the Pioneer reciever 12V or more?

I plan on using the Tape Moniter RCA jacks as the mode of transfering signal from the receiver to the Orion amps. I know they would be full power all the time. I'd have to use the master volume in the computer, correct? Or, should I somehow tap off the volume pot to the Tape out Moniter RCA jacks to prevent power spikes to the Orion amps when powering up?

Also, does anyone have a schematic of this particular unit, to help me find the DC power out taps on the transformer, if this transformer is 12V?

If the transformer is not 12V, is there a way to change the value to be 12V?

Is this a viable DIY project, or am I wasting time and there is a cheap alternative to my end result?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I plan to include photographs of the build to post for other's to possibly duplicate If this is viable.

You could spend quite a bit of time and trouble trying to make that stuff work together, or you could just buy a used receiver for $100-200 to drive your Heresy IIs. If they're on or near your desk, you wouldn't need much power, just fairly clean sound. It would be simple and more likely to provide you with good sound than a mash-up of mismatched gear.

You've already said that the Pioneer was pretty bad even when it was working, which it isn't now. That really makes it sound like a boat anchor, not something to build a system around.

Islander, it's kinda funny that you posted what you did, as I spoke to my next door neighbor, whom is a bigger junk whorder than I am. He suggested the same thing, then went back of his shop and rummaged around and pulled out an old Sansui AU-D7 integrated amp. He told me to take it and use it, it's supposed to work. If it doesn't, pitch it.

I hooked it up to a CD player and test speaker that I have. Great news, it works, though a few adjusting pots need cleaning. I'm currently trying to hook up the amp to my computer, but cannot find a stereo mini-jack to RCA adapter in my box of extra wires. All I can find is a minijack with video/ RCA, and it doesn't work yet.

I'm going to do an internet search to find out a little about this amp section to see if it's worthwhile keeping.

I'm going to do an internet search to find out a little about this amp section to see if it's worthwhile keeping.

Never mind the Internet! If it sounds good to you in your room, it is good. The opinion of some guy with some other setup in some other room is barely relevant to your setup. Listen and see if you like it. Just my opinion...

Honestly, I'd be looking it up, too, but your own ears should be the judges. Try writing down your impressions before you look it up, then write them down after. If you read that it's great, or that it's terrible, your judgement will be swayed by that, and your listening pleasure will be increased or reduced accordingly.

Never mind the Internet! If it sounds good to you in your room, it is good. The opinion of some guy with some other setup in some other room is barely relevant to your setup. Listen and see if you like it. Just my opinion...

Honestly, I'd be looking it up, too, but your own ears should be the judges. Try writing down your impressions before you look it up, then write them down after. If you read that it's great, or that it's terrible, your judgement will be swayed by that, and your listening pleasure will be increased or reduced accordingly.
Well, after a run to rat shack for a stereo minijack to rca adapter, I've been able to get this rig working. So, far not so impressed. Probably due to the fact that there are hardwood floors, no drapes and no padded furniture, kinda gymnasium like sound. I'll have to play with this for a little while.

As far as looking up the Sansui on the internet. All I found out is it's a mid grade intigrated amp. 80WPC and made in 1981.

Stand by for further.

Well, I've had a while to play with the new "old school" Sansui. Got the scratchy pots cleaned up, and have done some tweeking.

At first I wasn't happy with the sound. Thought it was room nodes. Then I fooled with two goofy tone controls that this unit has. Superbass and Presence. I've always thought they were gimmick controls, but I must say adding about 30% superbass and 25% Presence has really made the Heresy II's respond.

I can only turn up the unit to moderate levels though, no more than 40% of volume as the amp starts to clip, and under heavy bass, a protection circuit kicks in and cuts power to the output for a short time. It's either getting weak or its detecting amp clipping (that's a good thing).

This unit will serve well for a while in the capacity as computer speakers, but it's really no match for Sunfire cinima Grand amp. I know "apples and oranges".

Man, this sucks.

I thought I had my amplifier problem fixed with the neighbor giving me a Sansui integrated amp. It worked for about a week.

Yesterday, while I was listening to some tunes (I had just hooked up my SW10II for a killer computer 2.1 setup), when Pop, and a flash of light came from inside the Sansui. I took the cover off the Amp and noticed that the fuse was blown. I removed it and could see that it was a 5amp, when the circuit board recommends a 6amp.

I tried to find another fuse, figuring that somehow that 5amp fuse blew due to it bein too small. But, all I had in stock was a 4amp fuse, that immediately popped. Back to the next door neighbor's. All he had in stock was a 5amp slow burn. I reluctantly installed it and now I have let the smoke out of the amplifier board.

Back to the drawing board.

I wish I could find a good tube amp at a reasonable price to try next, either that or I'm back to trying to cobble car amps into the existing home stuff.

Anyone got any ideas?

I could be biased by my desire to try one out, but I think with computer type of situation, a tripath amp of some sort would be a nice interesting combo, since you only need one input and would be a very small footprint on the desk. I think some of the nicer ones may have a sub out...thought I read that somewhere. Most computer rooms are not going to be perfect for a sound stage anyways, a clean couple of watts may work out great. ACE

This morning I hooked up my ADCOM GFA-6000 temporarily. This removes the sub amp for my living room HT, So right now now sub on either system. I can use the ADCOM as a sub amp (it's a 5 channel amp), but my passive subs do not have any type of Choke on them, so they would be recieving a full signal.

The more I think about it, I'm liking the idea of taking the two Orion 2X50 watt car amps and powering them with a converter power supply, bridged into mono for the Heresy II's. This way I could either mount them to the back of my computer desk, or lay them on a bottom shelf, out of the way.

Anyone know for sure if the output dc current is somewhere around 12V on most home audio receivers. I've got a pioneer and now this Sansui that I could cob the power supply from for a doner supply to the car amps?