Subwoofer 60 feet from receiver issue.

joestar777

Hi,

My 400 sq ft open room [20x20x9 = 3600 cubic feet] is a combination of a 200 sq ft [1800 cubic feet] dining room and a 200 sq ft living room [where I will be listening to my system]. To put the subwoofer in the corner, the wiring I would be about 60 feet from my receiver [up and down the 9 foot walls, etc]. What kind of wiring would work? Is this worth the hassle or should I just put the subwoofer next to the revceiver? Don't need to rock the walls, but do want quality.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,

I would think that 14 gauge zip strip (2-strand indoor power cable) --the cheapest thing you can find-- will work. However the cheapest insulation might deteriorate after 20-30 years.

If anyone tells you anything else--they want to spend your money...

"No kidding."

Chris

should I just put the subwoofer next to the revceiver?

That is something that you will have to determine. Each person puts it somewhere convenient or placed properly to sound the best in their room. If you don't feel like running the cable, then by all mean put it next to the receiver. One way to find the best location is to put the sub in your listen seat and walk around the room. Where ever it sounds the best is where you should put it, sometimes it just isn't a great place for a sub.

What kind of wiring would work?

You can take a look at MonoPrice for any wires that you might need. For 60 ft, man that is a long run, you can use two of these with and extender in-between. Also the RCA is rated for in wall use and all for about $20 with shipping.

James

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Although minute, using a cable length of 60' can cause a timing issue if your FR speakers are 6' or less.

Last time I looked, it's about a nanosecond per foot...is that significant enough to warrant concern?

Capacitance or inductance is another subject. However, the proposed power amplifier should be be able to handle this type of load without breaking a sweat.