Should I upgrade my KG-3's to KG-4's?

erdric

I may have the opportunity to pick up a pair of kg-4's for cheap money. I have seen a number of posts in the past saying if you have the chance to pick them up you should. I currently have the kg-3's and I love/worship them. Is it worth it to upgrade? I can't see myself using the kg-3's as rear surrounds. I currently have ss-1's and while they are not as good a speaker as the kg-3 they are far easier to fit into my HT room. However, with all the new multi speaker formats on the horizon (6.1, 7.1, etc.) I don't know what to do.

Any opinions?

I have a pair of KG3 and KG4 (and the SS-1). Love them all. The KG4 has more "umph" than the 3's and the low end is more pronounced. If the price is right, get 'em. Use the KG3s for rear channel on 5 channel stereo and the SS-1 for rear channel on HT (if you can fit the 3's into your HT room and if your receiver supports 5 ch stereo). Or, use the KG3s as remote speakers in another room, driven as "spkr b" off your receiver or with their own receiver/amp. But don't sell them unless you have to. There's always a place for Klipsch in the house!!

P.S. You can edit your posts by clicking on the little icon with a picture of a paper and pencil... smile.gif

RossVTaylor,

Thanks for the heads-up on the wantadvertiser. I got a hold of the guy Wednesday, demo'd the speakers Saturday, and I am now the proud owner of a pair of Kg-4's. I couldn't believe that he was willing to sell them for $150 and throw in the amp to boot. I know that some other people contacted him after I did and I think that the seller was beginning to realize that he could have got more money for them.

I've got the Kg-3's in the back now and they sound great. I have to admit that I was a little unsure about switching out the Kg-3's. I love the way they sound and I couldn't believe that anything would sound better. I was wrong. The kg-4's sound richer than I expected.

Now I just need to get a hold of that academy...

erdric,I got stupid some years back and parted with our 4's.Kept our 3's,wish I had also kept the 4's.

Wait and keep looking for that Academy,you will be happy you did.To me it is the perfect center match,right Mystery Guest?

She didn't tell me that she loved the KG-4's untill after they were gone and I didn't really get her approval on the sale.

Thanks guys! I feel really lucky that I was able to get these speakers, especially at that price. And yes Steve, I am going to hold out for the academy.

Steve, I little while ago I posted a request for the specs on the Kg-3's. You provided those for me as well as a copy of a test report. Do you happen to have any information on the Kg-4's? I know that you got rid of them but I thought that I would ask. I did a search but none of the links that came up work.

I have kg4 brochure from 1986 that I can fax/mail to you if needed.

quote:

Originally posted by erdric:

Thanks guys! I feel really lucky that I was able to get these speakers, especially at that price. And yes Steve, I am going to hold out for the academy.

Steve, I little while ago I posted a request for the specs on the Kg-3's. You provided those for me as well as a copy of a test report. Do you happen to have any information on the Kg-4's? I know that you got rid of them but I thought that I would ask. I did a search but none of the links that came up work.