have you found your taste in music changing ?????????

as for me i have found that as i get older my music taste has changed considerably,i would bet 95 percent of my music never leaves the shelf now......and that has me wandering why i have 1000 cd's hanging on the wall...................anyone else asking this question of themselves ???????

Joe

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not me Joe, for me my music transports me to past places and times. Most of my friends play music for their particular mood however I play mine to change or enhance my mood.

I would get rid of all my gear before my music collection because it is all about the music. A great example is when I hear Pecy Faith's "Theme from a summer's place" I have one of those Ratatouille moments after his (The Critics) first bite! I remember it (zoom back) coming on while my mom had me sitting with my nose in the corner for some minor infraction I'm sure[6] LOL

My taste have broadened but I still love music from the first stuff I bought to the last. I'm very eclectic in my musical taste but as long as it's performed well I give it a chance[;)]

Joe,

No, no way, it's the old stuff I crave. Along the way, I bought some music that I wouldn't normally buy because it was recorded particularly well, but mostly I'm playing the same tunes (60s,70s,80s rock). I'm curious, what did you use to listen to and what do you listen to now?

Thanx, Russ

i still like what i always have just not in the same way, for instance if i am driving down the road and a good old ac / dc, or foghat tune come on i automatically reach for the volume knob ( i can still remember my older sister riding with me once and telling me "one of these days you will quit listening to music that loud" thats been 20 years ago) but when i am here at home listening to the system i never pull out the classic rock. i will always be a fan of classic rock ( i grew up on the stuff ) and when an old favorite comes on i still rock out / sing along / tap the foot, etc...but now i seem to be drawn more and more to good acoustic music that is much more mellow i really tend to gravitate to the lyrics ( if they make me feel something ) then i investigate that artist in much more detail...............nothing like listening to something new or old and getting that old chill up the spine or hair on the arm standing up. doesnt happen much anymore but occasionally it finds me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ok enough sounding like a big fairy)[^o)]

i will probably never sell the collection, but with the avability to download all the discs to my hard drive it does beg the question why drag the actual discs around ( nostalgia i guess )

Joe

Fortunately I'm finding more music in the genres I've always liked. I'm liking genres I didn't get into before like early electronic like Moog and Raymond Scott. This led me to more of the offbeat big band music and world music. Fortunately there is lots of music left to be discovered. Cab is still king and radio still sucks.

Kinda funny, I was thinking on the similar lines recently. I've always liked MOST types of music (still can't wrap my ears around opra, rap, or the new thing called "Screaming"). I'm usually too lazy to get up and put a CD on. I have become a huge fan of XM/Sirrious. I'd rather let someone els choose what I listen to, you also get to hear things you never have before this way, with certain stations. I purposely hunt them out.

What I find funny is. I will only listen to music on one of my own stereo's. I can't stand car stereo's, small radios, and such. I find that I'm missing so much through other forms of music reproduction items, that I find myself listening to AM talk radio. So much so that it Peeves off my whole family[:|]

I've always had a pretty diverse spectrum of genres that I listen to. The percentage of each genre changes from time to time but that is about it. I agree with KSS my music means more to me than my equipment. With that said I ain't givin up the equipment but it is the music that got me into this hobby the equipment just gives me a better medium through which to enjoy it. Right now I am digging my portable rig more and more. I cannot wait to get a Ray Samuels amp for my iPod and C3’s. Also lookin to get a set of X5/10 too.

I recently too am going through this, like I've said in past post I am a metal head at heart grew up on slayer, pantera,etc.. but wouldn't be there if never introduced to bands like black sabbath, ac/dc, etc... only thing is I lately have problems listening to any ac/dc with brain johnson. But back to the subject I have gotten on this kick of what sounds good on vinyl and let me tell you i enjoy sitting back and relaxing with some soothing jazz and a good ale alot lately at night. seems to calm me down a bit before bed.

duder

vinyl is vinyl, I don't care how much spaghetti sauce you put on it.

Most days in the shop I just let my iPod go round and round on a DeepPurpleALL or LedZepALL playlist. Works for me.

michael: dont you find that you can no longer listen to those tracks seriously, and they are now relegated to background music ?????

i try not to use any one track that i really like for continuos listening, seems i grow tired of hearing them and can no longer listen tho them in a session where i will set down and turn on the stereo ( i dont like to turn on the stereo unless i can get at least 1 hour of un-interrupted listening in) and on tunes i am familiar with i find myself getting a little bored..............i get a huge kick outta hearing new things in what i think of as old familiar tunes, but if i play them too much i am too bored to listen enough to hear anything, infact i tend to nod off if i get bored enough

Joe

as for me i have found that as i get older my music taste has changed considerably,i would bet 95 percent of my music never leaves the shelf now......and that has me wandering why i have 1000 cd's hanging on the wall...................anyone else asking this question of themselves ???????

Joe

It's just a phase your going though, i'm sure.

Seriously, yes, my tastes have changed. Now, I'll listen to (and enjoy) pretty much anything if it's recorded well. A lot of my collection is from the ice age and it obviously is not well recorded. I don't listen to those recordings as often..but I will pull them out when I change a piece of equipment...EUREKA, that's it!

My taste hasn't really changed, but it has broadened.

That's a very good way to put it for me as well.

Same here. I'm always adding new music to my collection, so it's usually in my player, but I still put my old stuff in at times. I like all kinds of music and I'm discovering new stuff that I like all the time and that will never end, because there's so much good music in the world to discover. No one can ever hear it all. I am leaning more toward jazz type music as I get older, because it sounds better than most rock, but I definitely still like to rock at times and always will. I think most of us listened to the music we first got in our collections a lot and so we pull for more recent more often.

i guess i should have worded my initial thought better (guess i was having an anal moment, seems to happen more as we get older) i do still like the older stuff just dont ever listen to it at home, and i lean more to newer styles of music for me, i listen to a little jazz myself now a days, as well as alot of acoustic stuff, although i did give my cd collection a good look and i will be paring it down to about 1/2 of its size ido have some stuff i know i will not want to listen to

Joe

It kills me to think of all the great rigs that you have gotten to build Joe and you don't put your classic rock on them to see what can be pulled off that media[:o]

I have been quite envious of some of the killer gears that have come through your house, I wish I had a spare 10K just to do what you do but with that said I'm quite happy with both my rigs vintage and new albiet my BAT/B&W/EAD rig is going over 10 years now also!

As I was telling Dennie over in "Right this minute" I still play plenty of classic rock on vinyl, I told him how much better Mick Fleetwood's kick drum is on World Turning vinyl than CD and he said he had to check it out and found the same result. I think you owe it to yourself to put some of that classic stuff on for that un-interrupted hour of play[;)]

Now if a recording is pristine I can listen to just about anything but my heart lies in classic rock mostly for trips back down memory lane[O]

Michael, you get tired of the MMF5 just pack it in as I know you already have my addy[:|] LOL

J4 I know what you mean about the old portable rig as I've got 3 iPods now and my main portable rig these days is the Ray Samuel's Tomahawk strapped to my 30GB U2Pod with Ety 6i's and with loseless files i have been very impressed and what better personal DJ than 7500 of your favorite songs running on random[<:o)]

Nothing like going from some old Graham Parson's to Moby[8]