Sansui G33000 ????????????

DVois

cwm2.gif

This is my first thread, I have been reading these things for about a month now and let me tell you what a wealth of information. I have always own a pair of klipsch in one way or another. I now am a proud owner of a pair of Cornwalls 1 & also a pair of Heresys and in the process of looking for another pair of Cornwalls or LaScala's. The question I am asking is that I may have a chance to purchase a Sansui G33000 from a friend that really doesn't want to part with it but would possibly let me buy it from him with the understanding of giving him 1st refusal if for some stupid reason I would ever want to sell it again. But I don't really know what this is worth, does anyone have a clue. Thanks a bunch

The Sansui G-33000 receiver was Sansui's most powerful and expensive receiver in that era. It was made from 1978-81 and retailed for $1900.00 (adjust for inflation). The amp section was rated 300 watts RMS, which paired with Cornwall's would allow you to vaporize your furniture in most rooms. I've seen them go on Ebay for $1100.00 to around $2000.00 due to their rarity, if you can get it from your friend for a good price it's a great investment and an attention-getting component. Just make sure you've got a reinforced shelf to put it on, if I remember right the two sections combined weigh around 120 lbs. It probably wouldn't be the best pairing with Cornwall's since they're so efficient and need clean power in the lower wattage range but if you're looking for overkill that will qualify. Kinda like driving an Indy car on the street. You won't find consumer level components built like the G series any more unless you throw out the cash for the likes of Krell, Levinson, etc. I've still got my old Sansui G-8000 receiver, its "only" 120 watts RMS but I really like the aesthetics, impressive with all that aluminum and backlighting. Good luck!

I'm familiar with that unit. Doesn't it have something crazy like 300 watts per channel.

You didn't say how much he wants for it. It would also be nice to know what kind of music you like and how loud you like to listen.

You need to remember that all watts are not created equal. Besides power there is also sound quality to consider.

It's only a good deal if you are picking it up for very few dollars.

------------------

deanG

"The amp section was rated 300 watts RMS, which paired with Cornwall's would allow you to vaporize your furniture in most rooms."

Now this should tell you this is probably the KING of 2 channel recievers.I saw this huge reciever and it was used with VOT's! cwm3.gif The guy was using an EQ to boost the LF on the VOT's,the power is quite awesome for a reciver.This thing cleans the Denon 5800 in two channel mode.Most of the time well under a watt were used.

If you get it for a good price ~500 and the controls are not used and abused you have a rare deal.

I would say otherwise paired with the CornBreadWallz this reciever can vaporise the voice coils. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I have an Hitachi SR2004 from the same era. It is rated at 200/w/ch RMS in class A mode but can flip into Class G mode when needed and provide 400 w/ch. I used to listen to it at high volume which probably explains why I only produced one child -( she was concieved before my wife allowed me to buy the Hitachi).

I'm going to put it on Ebay soon unless someone makes me an interesting offer - I'd be happy to trade it for a decent tube powered phono amp or preamp.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)