Chorus II Love...

Just picked up a nice pair of Oak Oiled Chorus IIs from Jason STR in the garage sale section...listening to Diana Krall sing right now...yum...

S'Funny...I had heard Chorus II lacked bass...that the midsection might not be nice...that they were bright[*-)]...that they need lotsa power...hmmm...

As a big fan of Klipsch Heritage I have enjoyed my Heresys and Klipscorns...never really warmed to Cornwalls...oh they had bass but I felt the mids were lacking...

I have enjoyed Reference and KGs...the Reference are nice but for me...three way is where it's at...KGs are nice too even closer to Heritage I think but again...I like the three way (fini...insert funny here...)...

I like the extended Heritage...after thinking since the mid '80s that these models with the passive radiator wouldn't sound good (without ever hearing them mind you) I scored a great pair of Quartets...really like them...never heard Forte'/Forte' II but wanted to after my positive Quartet experience...just never found a pair near me (I won't do shipping anymore) so...

There are some Klipsch speakers that I just have an itch to try and the used market sometimes allows me to scratch that occasional itch...I must mention here...There was a time when I was fine with one Receiver, CD player, Turntable and a pair of Klipsch speakers until I ran into this Forum years ago...you know the rest...you're infected too...[;)]

Enter a nearby (relatively) pair of Chorus IIs for a decent price, from a Forum member who agrees to take a Sub I have for sale as partial payment...I think to myself...this is the only way I'll ever get to hear Chorus II speakers...go for it...

We meet up halfway...about an hours drive for each of us (Colter is LAUGHING in my general direction at my road trip!) and make the exchange...I come home...give 'em a quick wash and oil...carry these 100 lb brutes upstairs (they have added bucking magnets on all the drivers)...I decided to demo them with my EICO HF-81 (NOSValves/Dr. Bill/Daddy Dee) and Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v2...14 watts per channel of Tube power...

Still early in the demo but these sound wonderful...already better than my Quartets and I didn't think that would be easily done as I have no complaints with that speaker...

Lack of bass???...don't think so...midsection weak???..quite the contrary...quite articulate...bright???...nope...need lotsa power to make 'em work???...did I say that the EICO is 14 watts???...these are really nice speakers and Jason STR is a nice guy...I realize I am suffering under the placebo effect right now and "wow" is often overused but...it seems to fit pretty well here...

I am listening to them nearfield (close up?) in a smaller bedroom but I gotta say...WOW!

Bill

I know a guy that has Chorus IIs with a very nice tube system and they sound great!!

I have a pair of Fortes and they really sound great also!!

Both the Fortes(1 or 2) and the Chorus(1 or 2) are outstanding speakers that are very good for people who don't have the room for the big Heritage speakers.

I find that alot more of my cds sound better on my Fortes than on the La Scals I had.

What I mean by that is the La Scalas sounded outstanding on 10% of my cd and very good on another 10%, but about 60% of my cds sounded okay as long as I did not turn them up too much. The La Scalas were just toooo revealing of bad or okay recordings.

The Fortes just sound soo much better on soo much more cds than the La Scalas did I'll never get another pair of La Scalas or KHorns.

Don't get me wrong when you have outstanding and very good recordings the LS and KHorns are incredible!!

I have found I am enjoying more music now with my Fortes than I did with La Scalas.

Enjoy the Chorus II great speaker!!

Congratulations on the newest additions to the family Silversport! The Chorus II's were the first pair of Klipsch speakers I puchased and still love the sound they produce. Since joining the forum here, I always thought the Chorus did not get the love and respect that other speakers in the Heritage lineup were accorded. Maybe that is a misconception on my part, (Younger brother syndrome), as owners of the Chorus always seem to be very happy with them. I have always thought that the Chorus handle a wide range of musical styles with equal grace, which helps when you have eclectic taste in music.

Play some music that you know by heart and see what subtle nuances are revealed to you by the Chorus, that will be confirmation of how great a speaker they are. Enjoy.

Congrats on the Chorus II.thumbsup.gif

I've been saying it for 19 years now. The Chorus II is one heck of a speaker. I tried the Cornwalls in my room for a couple of months just to say I gave them a fair chance with my gear. They were descent but they were no Chorus II. I love the voicing of these speakers. I've got this Marantz vintage seperates set up that is just awesome with these speakers. And let me tell ya, if you want to add some serious slam throw a QSC pro amp into the mix. I've put many jaws on the floor.

Again great pick up. I couldn't live without mine.

A little further critique of my new Chorus IIs...help me out with the audiophile terms here (should I use any terms it is just coincidence [;)] )...

I have a few CDs into these speakers now...work and chores have gotten in the way of a long listening session...equipment used right now:

EICO HF-81 (NOSValves) Integrated Tube Amplifier...14wpc Stereo...Cambridge Audio Azur 640c V2...

First CD...Diana Krall The Look of Love...I am very familiar with this CD and it has always sounded great...no surprises here, it still does but it sounded more open and articulate than with the same set up and Quartets...the bass might have less thump than the Quartets but you feel the bass more perhaps...

Eagles Hell Freezes Over...also very familiar...sounded very nice...no real surpises...again sounded very nice...

Older CD Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Greatest Hits...needed a bit more volume (is it the older CD or just that Stevie needs more volume?)...this is the case with this CD on any of my systems...Little Wing is a favorite and I love the humm of the guitar amp coming through the Chorus IIs...perhaps a bit more detail or more separation in the instruments through the Chorus IIs...

Listening right now to Dave Matthews Band Everyday...newer CD that doesn't seem to require as much volume...certainly not the same setting as Stevie Ray...nice...articulate...open and airy...feel the bass...nice speakers these Chorus II...

I like these speakers much better than I thought I would...using only what I had gained knowledgewise and based on my Quartet experience...these are great speakers...I like them better than I did Cornwalls (Cornwall IIIs and my own "enahanced IIIs") and from what I could learn on the errornet...much better than I should have expected...seems many don't agree with my findings...but that's okay...I only have to listen to me...[;)]

Thanks everyone!

Bill

seems many don't agree with my findings...but that's okay...I only have to listen to me...Wink

BINGO - we have a winner!

I think the Chorus II is a super speaker system; just for fun someday - really crank them up with some sweet vintage (BIG) Solid State watts and hold on to your socks.

lol - gotta love it...

Noah

I'll get hit for this, but I think the Chorus IIs sound better than the Corns, and they fit into rooms a LOT better. The bass seems tighter, and the overall presentation is great.

I think the Chorus II has gotten silent recognition by not seeing any for sale ! I looked for 18 months to buy a set and couldnt find any. Just recently when times got tough have I seen them for sale. I found 3 sets in 2 weeks and bought all 3 sets. Nothing better than a pair of Chorus II,s and a Sansui 9090db. imho !

Congrats on the new addition to the family!!! I got my Chorus II's about 3 weeks ago. So, I too am new to the fantastic sound of the Chorus II. I have wanted a set of these since I first heard them some 20 years ago in the local showroom. But, wasn't till 3 weeks ago I found a pair locally, that where in really good shape. I have not regretted spending the money on them. I do find that I don't have enough time just to sit and listen to them. I have setup some CD's in the player turned it up a bit and went down stairs, they even sound great down stairs. Load or soft, they sound great!!! I power these with a Marantz 2325 for serious listening or a Denon AVR 2308CI for the front channels of my home theater. Of course the Marantz puts the Denon to shame, but thats another stroy. Enjoy them! Roadbike

Congrats on the Chorus II.thumbsup.gif

I've been saying it for 19 years now. The Chorus II is one heck of a speaker. I tried the Cornwalls in my room for a couple of months just to say I gave them a fair chance with my gear. They were descent but they were no Chorus II. I love the voicing of these speakers. I've got this Marantz vintage seperates set up that is just awesome with these speakers. And let me tell ya, if you want to add some serious slam throw a QSC pro amp into the mix. I've put many jaws on the floor.

Again great pick up. I couldn't live without mine.

I never got the Cornwall sound so to speak.

Chorus IIs?

I would buy another pair in a heartbeat.

I may never have the Palladiums, RF-7 or K Horns but I have a pretty good taste of what PWK aspired to create in music reproduction.

Those little Palladium bookshelves would be awfully fun to have in the house though.

seems many don't agree with my findings...but that's okay...I only have to listen to me...Wink

BINGO - we have a winner!

I think the Chorus II is a super speaker system; just for fun someday - really crank them up with some sweet vintage (BIG) Solid State watts and hold on to your socks.

lol - gotta love it...

Noah

Can't speak for the Chorus II's, but I've owned the original's since new in 1989, still use them EVERY DAY, still LOVE them, been looking for another to make a perfect center channel (already have the bucking magnets for a center), seriously considering parting with my Academy to get one, Anyone?

Fact is, I've loved mine with 100wpc amp. Now that I'm using 450wpc, I'm addicted to them, nearly everything else sounds sub-standard. Even at low volumes, you'll feel the power that these can work at. I'd compare them to the Anni K's that I heard in indy a couple of years ago, with a 80wpc tube amp.

I haven't heard mine on tubes yet, and I hear that the Chorus II is even better in the bass department than the I's. I wish I knew of someone in the STL area to do A/B on them to see.

Good luck with them.

I haven't heard mine on tubes yet, and I hear that the Chorus II is even better in the bass department than the I's. I wish I knew of someone in the STL area to do A/B on them to see.

I dont have tubes but I do have Chorus I,s and Chorus II,s and I think the II,s have much better bass. I swap out between a Pioneer SX-1250 and a Sansui 990db. They both have alot of muscle down low !!