Movies for music night

Colin

Don’t know if anybody will see it here, but the Tampa Live Music Meetup group is having a movie night. So the question is; which musical movie should we watch (need two). Suggestions are:

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Monty Python's the Holy Grail and/or Life of Brian

Wizard of Oz/ with Pink Floyds

Dark Side of the Moon

Rocky Horror

Yellow Submarine

Blue Brothers

Heavy Metal

Blue Brothers

Cadillac Records

Black Snake Moan

Any other suggestions?

As far as movies with a great soundtrack .

Blow

Goodfella's

Forest Gump

Why not a concert blu-ray/DVD ?

I just got the Return To Forever Returns Live At Montreux 2008 blu-ray and it is a very high quality presentation . The first half is electric the second is acoustic . My only gripe would be some shotty camera work here and there but the audio is excellent .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If it's real music you want in the context of a movie, I'd go for The Wall or Tommy, possibly Quadraphenia if they're very artsy.

If the guys are into the recording process and making of an album, The Making of Dark Side of the Moon is fantastic.

Also from Pink Floyd is Live from Pompeii which features early tracks recorded live in a ruins along with bits of the guys recording DSOTM.

Yellow Submarine got a great remake a few years back into 5.1 and they cleaned up the cels too. It features a lot of classic Beatles tunes from the psychedelic era (actually from two LP's) but remember that the spoken words are NOT recordings of the Fab Four.

Monty Python, while fun and backed by a lot of British pop stars of the day, is not really terribly musical.

The Blu-ray disc of Chris Botti in Boston (Sony, B001R60ESE) is nothing short of remarkable. Smooth jazz trumpeter Chris Botti performs at the Boston Symphony Hall with the Boston Pops orchestra and Yo-Yo Ma and John Mayer.

Steven Tyler suddenly appears with his trade mark microphone stand draped with scarves, to wail the Aero smith classic “I was cryin' when I met you, Now I'm tryin' to forget you” and the audience is surprised at his powerful and smooth vocals. When Tyler croons Nat “King” Cole’s classic, “Smile,” the disc takes on a whole new meaning. “Smile though your heart is aching,” Tyler tells his father in the audience, “smile even though its breaking,” Then Sting appears to sing and play several of his songs. Together, the guest appearances transform Botti’s disc into a stunning recording of a spectacular night.

The Blu-ray disc of Chris Botti in Boston (Sony, B001R60ESE) is nothing short of remarkable.

I have 3 of his disc, one very good sounding SACD and once I can get a Blue Ray DVD player this sounds like a good concert to get.

Thanks for the review.