Portal Panache "Integrated"

Deang

http://www.portalaudio.com/panache.html

I've had one of these in the system for a week now, and just wanted to report that I'm getting some great sound with it. I've been using it with a Music Hall cd25.2 with both my Definitive BP7001SCs and some cabinets loaded with Radian 5208C coaxials (96db/2.83v). I bought it primarily to get something with a reputation for high quality behind my Radian drivers for testing purposes -- and it didn't disappoint. Speculation around the net is that it's a Nelsen Pass design, and based on pics on Portal's web site -- I don't doubt it.

The actual sonic signature reminds me of Mark's modified Crown D45. It has a velvet midrange with a very relaxed top end -- not a hint of solid grate glare or stridency. One area where I thought the modified D45 fell short was in soundstaging. My experience with solid state over the years is that no matter how "good" the sound is, the soundstage is always flat as cardboard. The Panache caught me off-guard when I leaned on the attenuator a bit and everything lept forward. A little startling when it's the last thing you're expecting. Solid state that "sounds like tubes" never projects like tubes -- this is the first solid state amp I've heard that does. I don't know what causes that "effect", I just know tubes do it and solid state usually doesn't. It's not as immersive as some of the better tube amps I've heard, but it's close -- close enough that I can't tell I'm listening to transistors.

Like most high quality solid state, bass is tight and solid. The amp is also quiet. With my ear up to the Radians -- I hear nothing. Though bare bones in construction, I would have to rate the build quality as excellent.

The amp sells new for $1800, and Portal offers a 60 day return policy. I suspect they know that the longer you own and listen to it, the less likely you are to return it.

A big thumbs up for the Panache, which should be added to the list of recommended amplifiers for high quality non-fatiguing sound through low distortion/high efficiency loudspeakers.

Dean,

I researched integrateds and the Portal was high on my list of favorites. A year or so ago I was using one of their pictures for an avatar. You are so lucky!

I would love to know your thoughts about it if you get a chance to try it with the RF-7's

................Pat

Sounds cool. Glad your latest journey is panning out, and that's as it should be.

Perused their site and and it looks like a nice gizo. However, this sentence in the sales ptich rubbed me raw:

"Making the situation worse, is that the signal has to travel from preamp to amp over a length of reactive interconnect cable."

Reactive interconnect cable? Sounds like they've been smoking the cable crack.

What! Me? Sorry I couldn't resist.[*-)]

I would love to know your thoughts about it if you get a chance to try it with the RF-7's

No real chance of trying them with some RF-7's, but I can't imagine it not sounding real good. Like everything else, I will probably end up selling it to try something else, pad your checking account. :)

"Making the situation worse, is that the signal has to travel from preamp to amp over a length of reactive interconnect cable."

Hi Marty,

He's speaking in the context of passive linestages that have no gain stage(s). With a passive linestage, the interconnects induce some capacitance, which if too high, can effect the amp's output to the loudspeaker, resulting in rolled off highs.

"The more a s/s amp sounds like tubes the more I like it."

There's some things in the sound of solid state that I like better than tubes. I like the strong transients, which makes drums and cymbals sound more accurate, and I definitely prefer the solid tight bass of SS over tubes. I prefer the midrange presentation of good tube amps, but that's about it.