DIY Audio Rack

fwphoto

Hi All,

Well, I'm finally getting my system together & am in need of a rack to put it all on. Right now its set up on an old TV cart.

Anyway, does anyone know where I might find some plans/instructions for a DIY Audio Rack? Pictures & descriptions would be very cool, too!

Here's what I'll be putting on the rack:

- Titanium 800 GHz Powerbook (on iCurve if possible)

- (2) Portable Hard Drives for file storage

- Portable CD/DVD Burner

- Turntable (TBD)

- Marantz 1152DC Integrated Amp

- Marantz 2100 Tuner

- Keces DA-151 DAC

- CDP (Future Addition)

- Accessories

- Maybe Selected CDs & LPs

Right now my listening room has pretty solid floors (no bounce) under carpet. Spikes perhaps?

So, what am I forgetting?

Frank

I built mine in a custom size for my smaller equipment. You could use the same idea for any size and number of shelves. Used 1 1/2" mdf shelves, steel thread rod and brass nuts and bolts, brass and neoprene washers. There are three spikes under each shelf made of brass screws I ground down and mounted in threaded collars. I used brass tubing but I saw that some one here used pvc and spray painted it. That would have saved me money. Good luck.

3/4" MDF & threaded rod, total cost >$30 at your local homestore. 3 legs is easier to balance & I recommend avoiding a leg at the rear as it makes connections more difficult Shelves are 16.75" x 23.25" which is either some kind of magic divisible number that gives low resonance or I forgot my meds that day!

DSCF3866.jpg

I've built one. Cheap and easy. I did find it best to tape all the shelves together and drill out all the holes at once. I built a 4 legger because off stability concerns. Use a simple level to fine tune each shelf when you've go the spacing you want between components or your table will end up looking lopsided.

One word of caution. I haven't found this table to be that great for a turntable given the plywood floors I have.

3/4" MDF & threaded rod, total cost >$30 at your local homestore. 3 legs is easier to balance & I recommend avoiding a leg at the rear as it makes connections more difficult Shelves are 16.75" x 23.25" which is either some kind of magic divisible number that gives low resonance or I forgot my meds that day!

I think that's the Golden Ratio or some such thing.

I see you have wood floors & a turntable up top. Any problems with that setup? (per thebes)

Frank

I think that's the Golden Ratio or some such thing.

I see you have wood floors & a turntable up top. Any problems with that setup?

I knew there was a reason for that, I think I did the math in mm too. I put the whole thing together in less than 3 hours from driving to Home Depot to gear wired, I just couldn't see spending big $ on a rack that could be spent on glowing toys!

The floor is typical Texas, parquet floor on concrete slab, pretty solid stuff in other words, so no problems even once the dance party & air guitar wars start.