OT: GPS system with 'survey grid' ??

Coytee

Long story short, I'm trying to find SOMETHING and I dont really care what it might be called...

My functional driveway is a gravel road in front of my house. My LEGAL driveway is a 2,000 foot long, 25' swath through the woods and we don't use it. I have some kind of survey plot in my hands and on this survey are numbers like below (sort of like a numerator/denominator)

S 10 ? 42'00" E

128.05'

All I'm trying to do is find my two lines in the woods so I can dig a trench in between them (staying on my land) and bury a geothermal line.

I've called some surveyors and they can do it for me in a day however, it will cost me about $700 for them to do. The net result of what they are doing is NOT surveying anything for change of ownership... they are simply going to spray paint a line on each side of my line.

I'm thinking $700 for two sprayed lines... I might buy something myself even if it costs that much so I could find it in the future again without another $700.

Anyone know of anything that will read what Garmin called "survey grids"?? (I called Garmin and he said their stuff wouldn't give me this kind of information)

Yes it was surveyed maybe 11 years ago. I've called the original guy and he's not returned my calls. According to the plot map I have, there ARE locations marked with "IPN" or "IPO" kind of thing. Those translate to Iron Pipe New or Iron Pipe Old...

There ARE several locations on this map that are indicated with the IPN. The problem is, regarding the driveway area, there is a SINGLE pin marking the area where you leave my house and in essence, turn a hard left to go up the driveway into the woods. That is the only pin that is marked on the map. If others exist, they're not shown on the map to have been installed.

If the map is 100% accurate, then no other pins were added down the length of the 2,000' driveway, only measurements relative to this pin.

Not being sure where the driveway even begins, I'm trying to find someone local who has a metal detector so I can hopefully find it easier and have a known starting point.

I don't really want to pay them over $100 hour to find this and then take a machette along their way to cut their path. If I had a clue as to the basic direction of this, I could easily take the tractor back there and cut it down for them. I COULD cut the entire area down but... sheesh... we're talking acres and acres.

I'm beginning to think I'm just going to have to fork out the dough to have two lines painted onto the dirt.

Maybe they'll surprise me and will have installed markers at the turns (gentle turns, not sharp ones) but I'm not expecting it.

Oh...and I just got a quote on my geothermal proposal... just under $19,000 for total replacement of 2 units in house. Includes the 1,000 feet of underground pipe I would need however, doesn't include the digging for the pipe (which is where I come in with my backhoe). In the grand scheme of things, it's not much more to the cost howevever... it's still $500/700 (surveyors estimate on what it would cost)