JubScalas who has them to ask questions

rmlowz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a little closer to getting my first set of 402's with drivers. I just refinished a set of la scalas in black. They turned out really nice. I used 5 coats of oil paint (takes 24 hours/coat to dry) and I think I have about 7 different types of wood filler laying around now. After I sell them, I should have enough extra cash to put in an order.

Richard, got your message and that would really help me, thanks for the generous offer.

I am bidding on one on eBay right now (stay away whoever you are) and if I don't win that one I could certainly put yours to good temporary use checking my system against the XTI for noise and giving a good solid listen to properly set up 402 vs 510 horns (I have both here).

Michael

I don't think a DX38 is going to do much good unless he gets it modified

Welllllllll, I got one of them too!

I've got two Dx's. One is totally stock. Other one had Mike (DocWho) go through it and do some kind of resistor swap to lower something or another. I'll have to let him give the details.

I don't know how many have done this. I could send the stock unit or the -6db unit

Yes

We did that mod at a Hope gathering. I have photos and am sure there is an explanation of it somewhere here. I think it's just a mod to ground on the input side???

M

• Moderators

I don't think a DX38 is going to do much good unless he gets it modified

Welllllllll, I got one of them too!

I've got two Dx's. One is totally stock. Other one had Mike (DocWho) go through it and do some kind of resistor swap to lower something or another. I'll have to let him give the details.

I don't know how many have done this. I could send the stock unit or the -6db unit

Yes

We did that mod at a Hope gathering. I have photos and am sure there is an explanation of it somewhere here. I think it's just a mod to ground on the input side???

M

If it's the mod that Drwho does it's way more than just the ground, he added or swapped out a handful of parts. He tried to explain it to me but all i got was it is to adjust for the difference in home audio levels and pro levels, to help with gain differences ?

Dtel's got ya.... it was something like 8 small resistors that were swapped out for slightly larger values. As I recall, the higher values lowered the output by a certain amount and this also lowered the noise (or something like that)

This was not the grounding wire issue.

Net result that I've noticed is when I use the DocWho modified unit, I need to turn my volume up a bit more. It's not as hyper as the stock unit. Then again, there are times that hyper is good! [A]

• 2 years later...

Generally, you take a La Scala or La Scala II and add a K402 or K510 horn (K-69 driver with either K402 or K510), add a pair of matching power amps and an EV Dx38 processor with the proper settings and you're good to go.

Some people have used Crown XTi power amps, which have built-in processors, so they don't need the Dx38.

Single used La Scalas can be hard to find. You could order a new single La Scala II from a dealer, or find a pair of used original LS or LSII and keep one for a spare.

Single used La Scalas can be hard to find.

You can also use a single Belle bass bin, which may be more available. The settings for either bass bin are very close and the FR of both bass bins are almost equivalent. The Belle is a bit wider but shallower in depth (15.5 inches vs. 24.5 inches for the La Scala).

Chris

I had to build one, PM me for the passive xover drawing if you don't already have it.

I have a mounting bracket for the 510 for sale , If anyone needs it.

Mounted a AL-3 passive in the bass bin. Just the woofer part.

Worked real nice.

post-29805-13819831914678_thumb.jpg

I am trying to get one of the jubscala's for my center channel. Do you know how I can get one? Are you selling any?

I have a lead on eight la scala PA speakers. I am thinking of doing the same thing you are. I am going to mate the bass bin with an Eliptrac 400 horn and Faital HF200 driver. That combination should be able to go low enough so I end up with a two way center channel that uses the same HF as my two channel speakers.

I have been told that the PA la scalas may not have any drivers ot may only have bass drivers, but if I can nail the seller down they may be very inexpensive and cosmetically a little rough. If the configuration works I will take a second bass bin and doll it up a bit and add an enclosure for the HF.

Now we're using 450hz so you would still have a hole from 400 to 450 if my thinking is right??

Trust me, it'll work -- with no hole.

Roy once told me the Khorn could be easily actively PEQ'd to do 500 hz.

oops, forgot to check the date on the original post. sorry.