HELP Identify a tone arm

HarryO

I've got a nice tonearm with an Infinity marking that says made in Japan on the base.

Graphite arm and a nice solid arm. I'm not sure what it is. Any help identifying this is appreciated.

I've got a half dozen photos I'll post.

Thank you,

Harry

post-24628-1381947570926_thumb.jpg

If you balck widow has the fluid tray (just behanind the pivot poin) and you add the right fluid,

you can use many more modern cartridges. My orig owners manual shows a moving coil cart installed in the pics.

Yes, it looks like his has one. Interesting. I didn't know they made any that way. I had a Black Widow on a Luxman direct drive TT. My Black Widow didn't have the fluid damper tray. It sucked with the direct drive TT. And I could only use light weight high compliance pickups. The setup would feedback with no trouble at all.

This one has the fluid tray ( I guess that's what it is anyway).

What type of fluid is used in these?

There's so many options any more in this hobby it's unreal. Everyday I'm picking up something new I've never seen before.

Thanks guys for the info on this arm. I'll probably sell it or trade it off as I don't have any need for an extra tone arm forseen.

Harry

I haven't seen one in YEARS, but like the others said, it sounds like a Black Widow. The BW had/has the lowest effective mass of any tone arm made, 4g! You should use very high compliance cartridges with it. I have a Decca London arm. At 5g, it is second. With a Sonus Blue Label cartridge, it is the only arm-cartridge I've ever seen that would track the cannon blasts in Telarc's 1812 Ovature. Alas, Sonus has been out of business so long no one has ever heard of them.

I am sucessfully using an Audio Technica OC-9 with mine. I calculated the resonant frequency at 7.5 Hz, a little high I'm told.

What type of fluid is used in these?

Harry

Try www.turntablebasics.com

They have several different viscosity of silicone fluid and lots of other goodies you will need in the vinyl universe