So the almighty question now on speaker upgrades..

Mystian

I wanted to know what people thought about the paradigm studio 80/100's and the higher end Boston acoustics VR-M975? in comparison to the Klipsch Reference 7's across the board. Any feedback will do as I hope to upgrade within two weeks. I have to get away from my BOSE setup. Please lead the way to better sound everyone. My listening area is small, but I want to get the best speakers possible so I don't have to worry about the upgrade bug later Wink.gifThanks

You actually came to this board expecting someone to give advice other than 'buy Klipsch'?

The Boston's are a nice polite speaker. You'll enjoy being bored to death by them.

The Paradigm Studio's are a notch better in my book. You'll like them for 6 months - then want to upgrade.

The Klipsch RF7's crush just about everything up to $4K - $5K. Buy these and be happy for a long, long time.cwm35.gif

------------------

deanG

Get Klipsch.

In fact,if you can find them,buy a pair of KSP400's/KSP-C6 center/KSP-S6 surrounds for your HT use.No sub needed.I stupidly passed up a mint set-up recently as mentioned for $1000.cwm43.gif

Enjoy the search!

Keith

Comparing cone to horn to ribbon to panel speakers is like comparing apples to oranges to pears to bananas. They are all good fruit of the audio tree. Certainly they are good fruit at the $1000 price point.

In fact, the speaker market, at $1000 each, is as crowded as a Kmart store closing sale. Speakers at that retail price point begin to exhibit some true audiophile qualities. They have better high and low end frequency response, separation, tone, soundstage, imaging, cohesion, phase and time alignment and smooth mid-range.

Like most people, I have probably heard more speakers in dealer showrooms than anywhere else. I have heard only a half dozen speakers in my current living room with the amps that I have now. These ranged from a garage-sale $20 Infinity bookshelves to $6K industrial gray Vince Christians with their rich and full soundstage. Although my amps are 3.5 watt Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours, they drive most of the speakers with good, if not always great, sound. The sensitivity of the speakers makes a very big difference with such flea-powered amps. Many of them simply do not open up and sound free, clear or dynamic without a lot more power. I know.

Lately I have been borrowing a monster of an amp with gorgeous refinement, the Class A Pass Lab X250. Even then, while the speakers sound wonderful with excellent tone and details, they do not exhibit the clear mid-range or the wide, fast dynamics of my big old horns.

Because of this, although listening to what great cone speakers and great amps can discover about a recording is a smoothly satisfying experience, it does not approach the unfettered exuberance that the classic combination of horns and tubes brings to the listening experience. Although so very good at so many things, especially the specs, even the best cone and solid state amp combinations that I have listened to so far seem to leave some of the joy of the music behind. They are stinting with the emotions. They are as competently clinical as a nurse, but without the tender loving care of a good woman.

If your stereo system needs medical attention, you can get a quick fix like that of the nurse with off the shelf solid state receivers and cone speakers. In fact, at $500 to $1000 apiece, many conventional offerings are surprisingly good. But if you want the low cost TLC of music, you need to search for the loving combination of horns and tubes.

For a small space, seriously consider the RB5s and try to squeese in a very powerful sub, like the SVS ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 02-24-2002 at 11:55 AM

Colin said: "They are as competently clinical as a nurse, but without the tender loving care of a good woman."

That has got to be one of the most profound, accurate statements regarding solid state I have ever heard. I read that and immediately related to what you meant.

------------------

deanG

Mike, as a transplanted Texan of many years standing, I wish you no bum longHorn Stehr... so know that there is new hope in multi-channel from the antagonist of the sweet spot and champion of the world beyond ProLogic...

"Nowadays, the notion of using a lot of reflected sounds to 'aid surround sounds' is passing, since we now have five discrete channels (Dolby Surround/Pro-Logic had only a single channel for surround). Good movies and music recordings have (or should have) sufficient decorrelation in the surround channels to create a good sense of space, even from direct radiating loudspeakers. Increasing numbers of surround processors include six or even seven channels, adding speakers at the rear of the room driven by derived signals that are delayed and possibly spectrally shaped. The best of these systems, such as Lexicon's Logic 7, generate a remarkably seamless sense of space and envelopment using direct radiating speakers in rooms that are not overly live."

- A quote of International acoustics/psychoacoustics authority Floyd E. Toole, Ph.D.

Seek ye the way and allow thine ears to prosper! Get thee on a role... cwm12.gif lest ye become stereophonically moribund. HornEd

Of those listed, I just happened to have upgraded from RF3s to RF7s and the sound is fantastic and what a sound stage they produce! BUT beware, they be big! As my wife keeps reminding me, a foot wide, 46" tall and about 18" deep, and weigh in at almost 100 pounds each...hmm $10 a pound for sound?

I have to admit that while they kick HT butt, and sound great on music, would I be better off with something a bit smaller? more musically incline, and Paradigms have been highly regarded, Boston, not sure but those I've heard were low end, very low end and so I can't make a preference for or against them.

Trying out speakers in a demo room and bringing them home are two distinct things and they never seem to sound the same once they are home. But the RF7s are staying put for at least a year and then maybe I'll do some searching.

If you can fit them in, my vote is for the 7s, takes next to nothing to drive them, which is a plus!

Good listening!

G2