Alarming statistic - Marines & motorcycles

Tom Adams

This is from an e-Newsletter from Lee Parks. For those not in the know, Lee was a top-level professional motorcycle roadracer who now does roadracing schools as well as motorcycle skills training. He's also got a web-based motorcycle stuff business. Anyhow, here is a quote from his recent newlsetter:

Just when it seemed we couldn't get any busier I am proud to announce that the United States Marine Corps hired Total Control Training to coach 400 marines in California as a test for bringing the program national. With more marines being killed in motorcycle accidents coming back from Iraq than killed in combat in Iraq, the importance of this decision could not have been more timely. And the results have been nothing short of spectacular. After Action Reports have consistently rated Total Control as the best motorcycle training course the riders have ever participated in and we have even begun training some of them to become instructors.

I have to assume that is true for Lee is a very reputable guy. Man - that is a very scarey statistic.

Tom

Lee is a good guy and pretty knowledgeable. I met him and rode with him at the Sportbike Rally in Parry Sound, Ontario, back in the mid-90s, when I was still riding. He's fast and skilled.

Traffic is pretty scary in a lot of less-developed countries. In India, it's said that you need three things to be safe on the roads: good horn, good brakes, good luck... Baghdad seems to be pretty crowded. Throw in daily military and terrorist action, and why would you want to risk riding a bike there at all? But then I've never been there. Maybe someone who has can update us.

Tom, that statistic is surprisingly low, in my book. We live on the main drag three blocks away from the second largest national military cemetary in the country. On weekends, we have more motorcycles than cars going past the house.

One of the rights of passage for many military types is owning a set of wheels - it is noncomformist, open roads, and freedom - everything the military is not. At the same time, the young kids have seen the elephant and are not scared of death. It is a deadly mixture.

As of Jan. this year just over 800 Marines had been killed in Iraq. Very hard to imagine that many have died in motorcycle wrecks.

Here is the story. Its referring to the last 12 months, not totals over years of time.. 25 by motorcycle and 20 in Iraq. Disturbing stats regardless.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/30/marine.motorcycles/index.html

This may be nothing new. Buddy of mine long ago was a Marine chopper pilot in Viet Nam.

He told me that at a U.S. base -- probably California -- the base commander banned motorcycles. Too many soldiers were getting killed. The fellow mentioned "tunnelling" which he described as driving between lanes of cars as one of the problems.

There were not Ninga in those days. Is it not correct that the Honda 750s were just coming on line? Another buddy described his first experience. He opened up the throttle and . . . . later he said "I scared myself."

Yet another friend was at Kings Point in those days. He describes many violations of the traffic code in NYC with bikes.

From the story, it seems fairly clear these deaths are not overseas and I'm not sure it is people returning.

Wm McD

Yep, bikes are indeed dangerous. I do ride and you need to beleave that EVERYONE is out to get you, as in kill you. Even riding myself and being very aware of bikes, there have been times while in my truck or car that I have not seen a bike even while watching for them.

I have never heard of "tunneling" but we do indeed split lanes (same thing) and it is perfectly legal. I have been down on a bike several times in the dirt, all in my younger days, several times at over 60 mph but never on the street. It has a lot to do with the young and nothing is going to hurt me attitude, yep been there, done that and have the T shirt.

I am not supprised at the death rate of stateside bikers being higher than combat deaths, in fact I would expect it, having been there myself (well not the dead part!)

"and it is perfectly legal"

Come on now.

From my understanding - yes. In California and several other states, "lane splitting" is legal. The trouble is: a) not many automobile drivers know this and respect the law, B) car drivers don't pay attention to the fact that a motorcyclist might be lane-splitting, c) some motorcyclists tend to lane-split at a speed that is too fast which leads to d) automobile drivers perceiving that the motorcyclist is doing something illegal and moving over on him/her. CRUNCH!

I've split lanes a few times and while it's a great way to move through grid-locked traffic, it can be quite nerve-racking for you're constantly scanning up ahead and looking for tell-tail signs of someone changing lanes or moving over on you. And I know that there are those out there that get mad as he!! when they see some motorcyclist come by them and they're sitting still in traffic. And for the life of me, I don't understand it for the last time I looked, the motorcycle dealer I got my bike from would've taken their money just as easily as they did mine. [;)]

BTW - I was talking to a friend of mine this past weekend about this article. He works as a civilian on Fort Stewart (home of the 3rd I.D.) and said that he knew that there was one or two MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) courses taught a week on base. For those in the know - that's a lot.

Tom

YEP, in CA it is 100% legal!

But as Tom said, it does tend to get the pucker factor up a little bit! You are only supposed to do it in traffic that is less than 35 mph, between lane 1 and lane 2 and move no faster than 10 mph above the speed of traffic. Sadly there are a lot of folks that take "liberties" with the rules.

I have found the best way to split lanes is behind a CHP (Cal Highway Patrol officer) who is doing the same thing, somehow people tend to see them![;)]

Yes, lane splitting is legal in California and several other states. It's also encouraged at stoplights in Japan, so the motorcycles can go to the front and be more visible. They even have a separate stop line for motorcycles there. A very interesting attitude in Japan is that if a motorist hits a motorcycle and claims he didn't see him, he'll likely lose his licence for life. The judge takes the position that anyone who'll swear in court that they are unable to see other road users should not be on the road.

Lane splitting may look dangerous at first glance, but it's actually safer than being behind and in front of cars. Think of it: rear-end collisions are very common in stop-and-go traffic, while side-swipes rarely occur, since drivers can usually keep their car in its lane, even if they don't always notice that the car in front of them has stopped.

Any time a car hits a motorcycle, there's great potential for injury or death, so it's best to be in the place where you're less likely to be hit. Having said all that, lane splitting still calls for good judgement and should be done at low speeds on straight roads, while not travelling much faster than the cars you're passing. Moving between lanes at highway speed, especially on a curving section of road, is a pretty chancy thing to do.

I have been street-riding for decades, but in the past several years my riding has all but stopped. It's just become too dangerous. Granted, part of it is that I've become more aware of my own mortality as I've gotten older, but mostly it's the Suburban Assault Vehicle attitude of the drivers. As cars and SUVs have become safer and larger and more heavily-armored, the drivers have become more reckless and downright antagonistic. I don't even feel safe in my car any more, let alone on my motorcycle. The joy of riding is gone.

To make matters worse, I'm a bicyclist, too. Talk about feeling vulnerable ...

To make matters worse, I'm a bicyclist, too. Talk about feeling vulnerable ...

I gave up the bicycle for that reason. When I am in the car and I meet a bike, what ever I do, I'm in the right. When I'm on my bicycle, I also feel I am in the right then too. Unfortunatly most people are like me. If I am gonna be on the wrong side of an incident, give me 3000 plus pounds of plastic and steel with airbags. Its crazy out there. Not gonna buy a handgun yet though.

This last weekend the Republic Of Texas biker rally was held and lots of bikes everywhere always great to watch all the different bikes and people.

Unfortunely sometimes people in cars and bikes drive like they are trying to die.