Truck for my son trailblazer/envoy vs silverado pickup

I have been a Chevy buyer since my first a 1966 Biscayne then a 1969 Z-28 off the lot, have owned Blazers and Silverados since '88. No to the first two, yes to the Silverado but after doing this a couple of times, I have to ask, why MUST it be a 4WD.

Off road = truck chassis...in your case go with the truck. The Envoy is very nice, I have driven one for a few weeks...I think some of them had a Saab designed engine in them, very nice powerplant. But if there if there is off road activity, I would go with something with a truck chassis...if not an actual truck, maybe a Yukon ect.

I have an 04 2WD Silverado LT with a rear locker and tow package. I love this truck. Gets about 18.5 mpg average. Hauls anything I need to haul. It can tow if I need it to. 98.5K miles still have original brake pads and rotors. The rotors have not needed to be turned yet. The seats are the biggest issue I have. They are electric w/memory and the motor on the lower portion has worn out twice on the driver seat but under warranty. I would recommend replacing the stock tires with BFG's or Bridgestones load rating E though. I've been a Chevy/GM guy all my life though.

Just saw you were looking for an 07/08. On these trucks the brakes were changed to rear drums. My brother has an 08 GMC Sierra 4WD and loves it. Both our trucks are half tons.

I have towed my fair share of envoy / trailblazers, between fragged transmissions and head gaskets puking out ( I towed one that had 17,000kms on it...?!!! ) as well as fullsize GM / Chevrolet pickups with leaking allison transmissions, apparently they have issues with something flying apart in the rear of the transmission case, and causing a crack in the case.

In that instance, that loud bang you heard and fluid loss between transmission and transfer case will cost you in the neighborhood of $ 7000 CDN installed for a new transmission. After warranty assistance? Never. It's an epidemic problem, but they won't admit it.

Trailblazer / Envoy:

If you live in a snowbelt, ice will accumulate in between the rear deflector over the rear door and roof, when opened, you break off the deflector, nothing a trip to the bodyshop and a few hundred will cure, as it breaks off all the stud mounts, and usually will result in the wires to the third brake light ( high voltage ) getting pulled out of the connector, as well as the grommet out of the body. ( they are engineered to JUST reach )

RUN, don't walk away. I tow less ford products nowadays. Kia and GM keep me employed.

Oh, and I was a hardcore GM guy as well, I have had 3 GM products, each with their own miseries, but had fairly reliable service out of them.

Trucks schmucks!

True story: Years ago I had a Miata. A lowly little rear wheel drive Mazda Miata. Winter time I'm 25 miles from home at work. Wife calls, seems a snow storm is brewing "and you better hurry home". I decided not to worry, after all, I'm from Ohio...I'm used to snow... [^o)]

Calls me back at 1:00 "the roads and ground here (home) are all covered...you better go NOW" to which of course, I said [N]

Come along 4:00, I finally head for home. I even stopped by the grocery to get some things. I noticed most of the shelves were empty from the locals panicking and thinking they were going to be snowbound for 43 months.

I drive a 2 lane curvy hilly road 90% of the way home and when I get to my neighborhood it actually drops down to a 1 1/2 lane unpainted road.

Don't you know that we were covered in snow. As I drove home I must have passed maybe 20 different trucks, many 4wd variety dumped onto the ditch on the side of the road! [:o] I passed trucks and cars. I looked like some Green Giant had simply taken his toy vehicles and strewn them carelessly. I mean to say, some of these vehicles were nose down in a ditch where the rear wheels were in the air not touching the ground, this was not simply pulled to side of road...they went OFF the road hard.

I, in my Miata, simply puttered past them...wanting to toot my horn to these mighty fallen 4wd trucks as I not only traveled to their point of demise but continued on even past the point where their mighty vehicles could make it.

I drove ALL the way home seeing this carnage on the sides of the road all the way there. All the while I kept muttering "these idiots simply have no idea how to drive in snow... they think because they have a 4wd they can drive like normal"

Don't you know that I got to the end of my road, where it turns into a gravel driveway and.... I got stuck! [:$]

Yes, I drove through the valley of death, shunning these vehicles stuck ever which way and when I got home I could not make it up my driveway. I was going to take my backhoe down there and pull my car up the driveway...then I realized... I'm at the dead end of a 2 mile road, I'm on my driveway, no one is going anywhere in this 'panic'... so I simply left it there overnight and the next day when the sun came out, melting the snow... I drove it up the driveway.

Sometimes when someone has a 4wd vehicle they will do something a bit more near the limits than they might do if they only had a mortal vehicle.

I do agree though that 4wd is great to have. I just thought it was cool how I smoked all these trucks on my way home with many of them looking at me with astonishment as I passed them by.

Think about it though... is it REALLY 4wd or is it more like 2wd (1 front 1 back) without a limited slip differential? Concurrently, isn't a normal car actually ONE wheel drive unless it too has a limited slip?

So, do some of these newer truck designs have a front AND rear limited slip differential giving a true power to all 4 wheels?

In most of those cases it is a not a question of being able to GO in the snow- It's a question of being able to STOP in the snow. These inexpierenced 4x4 nimrods think that they are Ted Nugent and typically over drive the conditions finding out quickly that a 4000 lb + truck will not stop on a slick road.The locker 2 wds will do amazing things for a 2wd. Unfortunately our red clay mud and steep angles on slick surfaces in the mountains make the 2wd a fair weather prospect for off road activities. Funny story on the Miata- bet Coytee had a k horn tied to the back for ballast.

I have been running the chevy k Blazer- Yukon- Tahoe platform since 1988 and have been well satisfied except for some transmission issues during the late 80s. Very satisfied.

Unless I can find a minty FJ cruiser( I love these) for around 20 k it looks like the Silverado gets the nod.

We do have an old beater- 88 4x4 1500 Chevy- 90k. The truck has been wrecked 3 times- rolled- abused in the woods and the mud big time.Hunting/fishing/4 weeeling- firewood hauling. It is truly amazing that this thing is still running at all. The engine and the tranny are fine but its 400 or 500 or 800 dollars ever time we turn around for leaking seals or electrical work or something. Time to let somebody else enjoy this one.The concept of a beater truck is something I have always wanted but this one has turned into a money pit. Replacing it with a Honda ATV this fall.

2WD vs. 4WD? Nah, neither one for me, I'll use my Silverado SS's full time AWD. It's neat all the people you see at the gas pumps that you visit so often where you are most likely the only one paying for premium.