PC World: Top 10 HT movies & scenes

kelA

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movies

Don’t know about Baraka, and I can’t disagree with gorgeous characters and set of The Fifth Element, or the soundtrack that comes to mind when people even mention Indiana Jones. Yet movies that show off your home theater must have incredible pictures and sound tracks. Therefore, modern musicals are the first to come to mind:

1 - My first nominee: Chicago. Bob Fosse’s Broadway titillating hit about love, betrayal and exploitation (theirs and ours) is brought to 2002 celluloid with surprisingly good song and dance performances by Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renée Zellweger, John C. Reilly, Queen Latifah and Richard Gere. Stylish set with interesting plot and delightful sound keep this moving and entertaining. Bound to be an enduring classic. His All That Jazz is wonderful also. 2 - Then Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGrehor in Moulin Rouge. A cacophony of sound and sight. 3 - John Cameron built a special limitless horizon studio and combined Robert Ballard’s actual deep sea submersible footage for Titanic. Then it won the Academy Award for sound in 1997. 4 – Jamie Foxx in Ray (Charles, 2004). Great acting. Great music.

5 - Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Oddessy. Now we all know Antonio Lucio Vivaldi.

6 – And of course, George Lucas’ Star Wars. John Williams' scores for the double trilogy count among the most widely-known and popular contributions to modern film music.”

7 – Then of course, movies with some of the deepest, baddest bass: depth charges dropped on the otherwise horrible Matthew McConaughey and the always great Harvey Keitel in U-571.

8 - Steven Speilberg’s Saving Private Ryan, puts you in each scene as the first major motion picture using hand held video with bullets whipping from front to side.

9 – The use of spot color in Speilberg’s powerful Schindler’s List, with Liam Neesom.

10 – I personally like Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, both of which were nominated in 2003. And Russell Crowe again, in Gladiator. Yet, I end this list with the amazingly 5-Hz footsteps and close-up dinosaur breath of Jurassic Park. Does Spielberg know how to combine tales of peril with music or what? These are all awesome movies, worth of watching again and again. The music makes them classics. The screens are alive with the sound of music!

personal favorite....THX demo disk with Star Wars Phantom Menance Pod Race. Done.

keep in mind, you can't go get the movie and think it's going to sound the same. i've tried it, and the demo disk is "ramped up" or on "steroids" if you like.

well for me its (im guessing everyone has heard this a million times but anyway), ....... yep Transformers, when the transformer shoots his cannons into the ground to jump over the girl and the sub HZ goes down to crazy [:|] single didgits. WOW!

when people mention transformers, i always think of the AC-130. it's only the baddest aircraft made, just slightly above the A-10. which is in the movie also. i think i am going to rewatch transformers just to hear that AC-130 fire those 105 rounds!

GO PUFF GO!

House of Flying Daggers - Scene 3, The Echo Game, has really great surround percussion sounds, and there are lots of arrows and spears whizzing past your ears later in the movie. The scenery is really nice, too. Oh, and Zhang Ziyi is in it.

Here she is in a Visa commercial: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2979463889543012518

• Moderators

well for me its (im guessing everyone has heard this a million times but anyway), ....... yep Transformers, when the transformer shoots his cannons into the ground to jump over the girl and the sub HZ goes down to crazy Indifferent single didgits. WOW!

Yes, that's a great scene. Someone here referrred to it as the Ironhide Flip Scene. You gotta love the girl screaming in slo moe. Too funny. Lots of great LFE in that entire ending sequence.

I use several scenes from Transformers to demo as well as the Tai Lung Escape Scene in Kung Fu Panda.

Opening scene in the Dark Knight is good too.

• Moderators

There is a good scene in Hero with Jet Li. It is the one where he stomps the floor, the cup rises, he flies around the room cutting the cords to the scrolls, lands, catches the cup and the scrolls fall to the floor. I thought my ears were going to bleed it was so crisp and sharp as he is cutting the cords.

Tai Lung Escape Scene in Kung Fu Panda.

Opening scene in the Dark Knight is good too.

going to have to check out the panda i have not seen it yet, i know what you mean by opening dark night scene i like when the 2 guys slide down the rope to the roof top great LFE sounds

what do you guys think of WallE? is it worth getting on blu ray?

Hey Bailz - IMO walle is a must on Bluray - i have it. great visually and audio and plenty of lfe

One of my many favs scenes for HT is the last 20 minutes of I Robot - just brilliant i think.

• Moderators

going to have to check out the panda i have not seen it yet,

Great movie both visually and sonically

i like when the 2 guys slide down the rope to the roof top great LFE sounds

That's it. When they go over the edge it's awesome. Even when they first shoot out the window, Boooosh!!!

IMO walle is a must on Bluray - i have it. great visually and audio and plenty of lfe

well DU i took your advise and purchased walle today, my wife and i just finished watching it, its fantastic 10/10 we both really enjoyed it great visuals and some killer LFE parts, thanks for the recomendation.