Best blueray player as cd player

I thirdiate (or whatever) the OPPO. I see no reason why the audio section will be any worse than it's predecessors, which means it will work for me.

Come soon now...the hardware is set in stone and they are just working out a few issues and kinks with the firmware.

Dave

I currently have a Denon dvd-1600, it has served me well for over five years. The "audio only" option has been a great feature, and I have never had any problems with the player. Blueray is the up and coming format, but the best ones are rather pricey. My Denon was originally about $500, but I bought it on sale for $350 back in late 2003. Finding something comparable in that price range is challenging.[G]

The reason I asked is because most bluray systems that are affordable lack some playback scenarios...

this onkyo sp506 unit is an 1080 upscaling dvd player and has Substantially higher capabilities than your denon.

• Plays DVD Video, Super Audio CD, DVD Audio, Audio CD, CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL*1
  • HDMI Digital Interface (Version 1.2a)
  • 5.1-Channel PCM Audio Output and Direct Stream Digital (DSD) via HDMI
  • Simultaneous Output from All Video Connections
  • Three Burr-Brown (PC1796) 192 kHz/24-Bit Audio DACs

I bought this for $150 (list is over $300) and I only use it as a compressed format(eg CD, SACD, DVDA, HDCD etc) audio player and have my ps3 for my Bluray playback.
are you bent on finding an all in one unit?

...ideally, I don't want to have a seperate cd player only. I have an Xbox 360, so the PS3 idea is not gonna fly, although if this Xbox (my 2nd), goes RROD I might just go for a PS3...providing FF13 releases for playstation and not just Xbox..how ironic is that!

You may be slightly dissapointed in PS3 audio despite it being able to process uncompressed audio on bluray disk. The highest sample rate that I have seen for PS3 as far as audio is only 44hz, thats why I went with a stand alone unit. All this even though I can play back sacd and dvda.

I think if all you are concerned with is playing back teh compact disc fromat any bluray playe is as good as another... if you want advance AUDIO format support or sound processing, you may run into a short fall in when it comes to audio playback on the cheap bluray players.

Actually the normal output for the PS3 with CD audio is 48kHz but it can be set to output up to 176.4kHz.

I used my PS3 as a CD player for a very long time and never found it lacking in CD performance. I have the audio going through HDMI to my receiver. I only recently started using a separate player for CDs since its more convenient than using the PS3 and doesn't have the fan noise of the PS3.

Actually the normal output for the PS3 with CD audio is 48kHz but it can be set to output up to 176.4kHz.

I used my PS3 as a CD player for a very long time and never found it lacking in CD performance. I have the audio going through HDMI to my receiver. I only recently started using a separate player for CDs since its more convenient than using the PS3 and doesn't have the fan noise of the PS3.

my bad... that is true 48hz.

I found that if I try and use the higher sample rates of 176hz(2 channel mode) I get a lot of noise for some reason(yes HDMI). Frankly, I couldn't be more happy with a seperate playback (onkyo sp5006) unit that also plays some of the more advanced formats.

• 4 weeks later...

OPPO BDP-83

B002EEP3MK-bluray-logo.jpgSupport for Audio-Only Formats Will Thrill Sound Lovers
Sound lovers will be elated by the BDP-83, thanks to its support for both DVD-Audio and SACD, two audio-only formats that provide stereo and multi-channel audio. These formats provide sound quality that is far superior to that of CDs, and they have greater sound depth and higher sound resolution. And with a dedicated two-channel analog audio output with optimized DACs and output driving stage, sound lovers will be sure they're getting the best audio they can.[:D]

I had been considering many different players before I even started this thread, and the first few replys mentioned the Oppo player. The Oppo has just released on Amazon.com, and it sure fits the bill in every way, although the price is pushing my fiscal limit. Hopefully the price will recede a little in the coming weeks. There would be many more options if I could use the HDMI output, but with a 1964 H/K A700 tube amp, that ain't gonna happen.[:(]

OPPO BDP-83

B002EEP3MK-bluray-logo.jpgSupport for Audio-Only Formats Will Thrill Sound Lovers
Sound lovers will be elated by the BDP-83, thanks to its support for both DVD-Audio and SACD, two audio-only formats that provide stereo and multi-channel audio. These formats provide sound quality that is far superior to that of CDs, and they have greater sound depth and higher sound resolution. And with a dedicated two-channel analog audio output with optimized DACs and output driving stage, sound lovers will be sure they're getting the best audio they can.Big Smile

I had been considering many different players before I even started this thread, and the first few replys mentioned the Oppo player. The Oppo has just released on Amazon.com, and it sure fits the bill in every way, although the price is pushing my fiscal limit. Hopefully the price will recede a little in the coming weeks. There would be many more options if I could use the HDMI output, but with a 1964 H/K A700 tube amp, that ain't gonna happen.Sad

Patience, my friend. I can't afford it at the moment either. So I'll wait til' I can. I'll never be happy otherwise.

As to "Hopefully, the price will recede..." I say "Hope is not a method." OPPO isn't much at lowering prices. I'd hoped this might be just about the difference in the BluRay mechanism (say, 100.00) from the current models, which are total bargains. However, they've either really put the petal to the metal in the lab to build a "one more penny spent is a waste" class killing machine or just decided it's time to increase their profit margin.

I must, however grudgingly, say that even at that price nothing else comes close in features, and though I've not heard/seen one, my previous experience with their products suggests it will be equal or superior to anything at any price.

Hold your fire! It'll be worth it.

Dave