Best blueray player as cd player

I like my Panasonic BR player as well as my old Pansonic RP-91s ( I have two) for DVD A. Sound quality is nice although a step behind my multi box aproach to RB CD.

Trying to make one box do all well is genrally where I lead myself to disapointment. Multi format is tough to do even for the 4 dollar figure players

As to "Hopefully, the price will recede..." I say "Hope is not a method." OPPO isn't much at lowering prices. I'd hoped this might be just about the difference in the BluRay mechanism (say, 100.00) from the current models, which are total bargains. However, they've either really put the petal to the metal in the lab to build a "one more penny spent is a waste" class killing machine or just decided it's time to increase their profit margin.

Oppo's original models, the 970 and 981, were priced very low ($169?), but their later flagship model, the DV-983H was $400 and was a more advanced design, with improved performance. The new BDP-83 player seems to be part of that higher range and looks the part. Everyone who has bought one seems to think it's worth the price.

I've had the BDP-83 for 3 weeks now.

I'm very happy with the unit. It plays everything.

I ordered mine directly from OPPO. $518 delivered. Ordered on Tuesday afternoon,

arrived Thursday morning.

jerol

p.s. Yes, I played Moody Blues.

I've had the BDP-83 for 3 weeks now.

I'm very happy with the unit. It plays everything.

Jerol, I'm curious how you find the drawer opening response when playing and exchanging CDs? If I purchase this, it will be to replace my Samsung BDP and Oppo DVD players and will be the sole player for CDs, so I'm curious if there is a slow response time when wanting to quickly exchange CDs. My current BluRay player is very slow to open from when I press the button, and even my Oppo DVD player is a bit slow compared to most CD players I've owned. Just curious what your observations have been. Thanks.

Phunny you mention tray response...

I've had my BDP-83 for some time now as I was part of the Beta Bunch and the latest 'approved' firmware update (I should check the site again) actually slowed the drawer down some. It's amazing what they can tweak in software these days. Anyway, not sure why they did it, but I'm pretty sure they even mentioned it in the version notes - I can look.

Personally, I love mine, though I'm not a hard-core user with decades of previous player experience. The only gripe I have about it, when I'm playing audio CDs and want to FF or REV through a track, it's choppy and not very linear. I believe they're working on this for future updates.

For what it's worth, I just took delivery of a Firestone Audio Spitfire DAC along with their Supplier power supply (to replace the standard weakling-wall-wart) and so far, the Oppo spanks it. I haven't listened to many discs in comparison to their Apple Lossless file counterparts yet, but... oddly enough, I ESPECIALLY noticed a difference on Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy (1973!)

Not sure if Oppo offers a refund policy if you buy from them (Amazon does, IF they are the ACTUAL seller) but if you don't like the BDP-83 for whatever reason I'm sure you'll have no issue selling it for a minor loss.

Thanks for the thorough response AnalogWave! I've read elsewhere about the FF and REV acting choppy, but that is a non-issue for me. Sad to hear the tray response has slowed, but maybe a future update will speed it up again... we can hope anyway. I'll probably hold off on this purchase because my Samsung is just fine for the very few times I use it (for BluRay only). But when I eventually have room for a dedicated HT, I'll be looking to Oppo to consolidate my system to a single player as the Samsung is just awful for DVD playback... especially compared to my Oppo DV-980h.

Sure thing.

I snagglepussed the following from Oppo's site...

Release Notes:

The major changes included in this version are:

1. Further improvement to DVD-Audio disc compatibility and navigation.

2. Adjustment to the BD loader for smoother operation and less vibration than the previous versions.

3. Complete fix for the CD track looping problem.

4. Support for the optional RS232 wired remote control port.

5. Other general disc compatibility and performance improvements.

All
features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in
this version. Bitstream output for HDCD is still a work in progress,
and should be fully supported with the next firmware update.

I misread the notes - they're talking about once the player captures a disc and begins spinning it up to pull data.

I just now fired mine up and drawer opening after pushing the button (response time) is rapid, but this is where I THINK I now perceive a difference from the previous firmware. The drawer opens quickly at first only to slow in speed as it reaches full extension. Closing, it's the same rapid speed inward.

In an effort at full disclosure, I have been building models lately, so that could just be the glue talkin'.

• 3 months later...

After all had been said and done, I opted for the Pioneer BDP-51FD player. I managed to pick up one in excellent condition-used on amazon.com for $288 shipped.[Y] Mine has the latest firmware update (1.37) and so far, works flawlessly. The two-channel audio output is perfect for my tube amp, and the unit plays all my cds and cdr's without a hitch. The load times for bluray are somewhat slow, but that is normal. This is a great addition to my system for a very good price![;)]

Funny thing, I purchased a copy of "Transformers" on dvd at Marshalls the other day, dropped it in and tah-dah!...nothing. "Unknown disc" displays on the panel, humm, look at the box again, and realise that this is an HDDVD version. Oh well, I should have known for $5.99 something was wrong.

Thanks for the thorough response AnalogWave! I've read elsewhere about the FF and REV acting choppy, but that is a non-issue for me. Sad to hear the tray response has slowed, but maybe a future update will speed it up again... we can hope anyway. I'll probably hold off on this purchase because my Samsung is just fine for the very few times I use it (for BluRay only). But when I eventually have room for a dedicated HT, I'll be looking to Oppo to consolidate my system to a single player as the Samsung is just awful for DVD playback... especially compared to my Oppo DV-980h.

Which Samsung BD player do you have?

I'm glad I found this thread because this issue has been plagueing my thoughts lateley. What am I missing using my BD player as a CD player. I'd assume since its all digital it shouldn't matter but then why do people buy the crazy expensive CD only units?

I've got a Samsung BD-P1600 that I use for blu ray, dvd, cd, Pandora and Netflix.

I'm not sure what I think of the DVD playback quality. I put my old Yamaha DV-S6160 back in my rack to try and compare dvd upscaling. It always seemed to look pretty good even though it was only 1080i even via HDMI. I'll probably go rent a DVD that I already own and then I can change inputs and toggle between the two to really see if the Samsung is the same, better, or worse.

As far as CD playback I'm not sure about the Samsung or the Yamaha since they are both cheaper. I've always wondered what I was missing when I saw the really expensive CD only units but in truth I'm tight and have a lot of things I could do to make my room sound better before I go and spend more money on equipement.

My old DVD player:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=558760

My current BD player:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/blu-ray/blu-ray-players/BD-P1600/XAA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

Are there certain things in the specifications I should be looking for to know what would be better as a CD player?