bypassing tone control potentiometers

The Dude

So I have this Dynaco pat-4 that's bone stock all original, which my only attentions were to use this for the chassis for another preamp diy kit. But for know I need it to work its best until I save up some dough. I believe the treble Potentiometer has gone bad cause after about half way it goes to 1 . on my ohm meter, but any who what I am trying to do is set bass/treble to flat so I can get an Idea how this will somewhat sound when I do the diy kit which has no tone controls on it. So if any of this is making any since what I want to do is take out the potentiometer and put in a resistor to basically make it a flat signal, all the time. I have a wiring diagram if that helps.

thanks any help appreciated

duder

thanks for the reply, but one of the problems is I dont have knobs for the bass, and treble and since they are split between left and right its hard to turn both at the same time. Also I plan on up grading to a pre amp in mind that dosent come with tone conrtols so I wanted to get an idea how it sounds flat.

thanks

nick

I just tried to tug the knobs off to let you know where the flat sides of the stem is but they don't want to budge.

Good Luck, maybe someone knows how you could set them to flat without the knobs.

Usually, aren't the tone controls considered flat at the exact middle position?

Dean or Mark.........Do you guy's have any idea? [:D]

I keep editing this post. How about posting this question in the technical section?

I think its a 40k pot so 20k would be the center but soon as I get to 19.7 something it goes out. but I just replaced the 3 wires from the pot to board and that took care of one of my problems with some static. So I will get the ohm meter back out tomorrow and recheck to try and set to flat.

thanks for your help if i still cant get it I will hit the technical section, just thought that was for speaker to amp comparison but now I know.

once again I greatly appreciate your help.

nick

for know I will critic my work and have a little listening r and r

I'm not the most knowledgale but the carbon could have worn off one part of the pot. Or it's just very,very dirty. Get some cleaner form/lubricant at your local ratshack and give those pots some thorough spraying and twist them back and forth 30 or 40 times.

Also for $3 a pop you could get some 50k pots from Rat Shack to use in the interim.