Changing from Sattellite back to Cable.....

SWL

I use THIS antenna on about a 12 foot pole behind my house. You can find them cheaper elsewhere however. I can pick up Lake Charles, which is about 60 miles away. The only amplifier I have is one that the cable company put in my attic. It's right where the main cable line comes in. It amplifies and splits the signal for all my drops. I put my signal switch for the antenna/cable line before the splitter.

We use the same ole antenna that we used for analog. Picks up the OTA HD channels fine with NO amplifier. We are located at least 35miles+ from the towers. I did have to move the antenna from the attic to a pole outside to get ABC but its much farther away.

Check these guys out for antenna requirements. http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

I use this antenna for HDTV http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=AD-DB4 (also have a RatShack VHF for FM reception diplexed in) and this amplifier http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=ANC7777 . I picked up a short mast and bracket at the HomeDepot and mounted to my chimney. I have around 130 - 150 bucks in it including the FM section.

We have been paying Dish for about 10 years. Cable is not an option where we live, nor is high speed internet of any kind other than that Hughes net Sat internet which costs WAY WAY WAY too much for what you get in service.

As to rain and .... ur , um (what is snow anyway?) we only had problems a few times but one day we stopped receiving any service at all. We called up Dish and the next day they had a tech out and re-installed our dish as the first company did a really HOKEY job of it. Since then, we have had no problems and that was about 4 years ago. I like the HD selections available and after looking at the bill we had, I discovered that if I paid only $5 more per month, we could have EVERYTHING (except the latin channels which we would never watch anyway). We might pay for a pay for view once a year but if it was more than that I would be very supprised. We have upgraded our equipment for free or had it replaced when there werer problems with the receiver something like 3 times and the process was always fast and easy with them sending us new units first by next day mail and then we returned the old units in the same boxes with shipping pre paid by them.

Yes it is expensive and there are LOTS of program channels that we just do not watch let alone the "music" channels which we NEVER listen to.