Center Channel - Why not add "something" to the new Heritage line?

fleshx

Doesn't setting these speakers on the side direct the
high-end(most of the media's speech audio) to one side of the listening area?

No, it just makes the sweet spot a bit narrower, plus you might get a bit more reflection from the floor, but the main speakers will overlap the centre's area, so it won't be as noticeable as it would be if you were using only a single centre speaker lying on its side in a mono setup.

The little bit that the drivers are away from dead centre will not really be noticeable from more than a few feet away.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So for the split La Scala do you use the bass bin?

Yes it is below his tv and the HF section is above it.

With m set up I have the HF section centered below the tv and the LF section turned on it's side right next to the HF section.

• 3 years later...

Here we are 3 years later, Klipsch is still selling the Heritage line w/o any sign of a
comparable Academy replacement(aka better version). Most people buying Heritage old/new are setting up awesome
home theaters, with no options for a center channel that'll match their setups(timbre) like the Academy
attempted, w/o placing an over-size speaker in the middle, or fashioning some substitute.
Very disappointing.

• Moderators

The big problem is size, to match perfectly with heritage it has to be big enough to sound like a match. When you put a Heritage model on it's side the only difference is the direction of the horns, nothing else can be changed to match the sound. I have seen some being designed and the only real difference was the orientation of the horns, the overall size was almost the same, very little was actually gained.

I use forte ll's for HT, I looked at a Academy, it did not make sense to me, it's only a little smaller than a forte ll on it's side and does not perform like a F ll and cost twice as much, and was not a perfect match, why bother ?

If a real Heritage center turns out to be 90% the size of the mains, does this really help, it can not be made like the RF centers by design, the sound would never match.

There is no reason to think a center is only a center if it's shaped like the industry standard, Heritage is not industry standard shape and can not be made to fit that standard and still sound like Heritage.

I use a Fll on it's side for a center, pointing straight ahead from the tv, the horns are now vertical which is the only difference, I would bet you blindfolded you could NOT hear the difference sitting anywhere on the 6' sofa 18' away.

Think of the dispersion angle of the horns, measure back to the sitting area and you are easily still in the coverage angle of the horns. Me or anyone who has ever listened here could not hear the difference, if you were to sit far of to the side wall you may hear the difference, but you would hear that difference how ever the center was positioned.

The Heritage line center channel speaker would be another Heritage speaker.

For instance I had 3 La Scalas up front. I could have done a Heresy, Cornwall, Belle also. The best way is to match all 3 Heritage speakers up front.

From the pic I saw of the Academy there is no mid horn just a high freq horn so the Academy does not seem a good choice for the Heritage line.

Also the Heritage line has always been marketed as a 2 channel stereo speakers that customers have used for home theater. Klipsch probably figured if the customer wanted the Heritage line for home theater they would just use another Heritage speaker for the center and rears.

Now you could contact Bob Crites or others on the forum and order the parts for a Heritage speaker and build a center chanel speaker. I have seen some on the upgrades and Mods section of the forum.

Here we are 3 years later, Klipsch is still selling the Heritage line w/o any sign of a

comparable Academy replacement(aka better version). Most people buying Heritage old/new are setting up awesome

home theaters, with no options for a center channel that'll match their setups(timbre) like the Academy

attempted, w/o placing an over-size speaker in the middle, or fashioning some substitute.

Very disappointing.

And you are still whining about it in your first post in three years while the rest of us have moved on and are sincerely enjoying our creative solutions instead of "trolling" to create a tempest in a teapot? Forum members posted some great solutions for you three years ago, and there are many more amazing solutions in the HT thread for a great center to Heritage fronts--but none seem to work for you. I have a pair of K-horns as fronts in the HT and a pair of La Scalas as fronts in the home office. My solution? A great excuse to buy a second set of Belles, but this time to use as centers! In the HT, have a 65" plasma sitting on a center Belle. In the home office, have a 50" plasma sitting on a center Belle. Not only are the Belles as centers a perfect sonic match to both K-horns and La Scalas, but they are gorgeous . . . And Belles make great TV stands too! (I got the second set of Belles for less than the cost of two tv stands for the plasmas!) And to my eye, I could never imagine a two-woofer with a tweeter traditional looking center even vaguely approaching the beauty of a Belle! You might want to go Paradigm . . . Their little rectangular box center is matched to their front speakers. If you want to sell your La Scalas because Klipsch is not making a dedicated Heritage center to your liking, just post your La Scalas in the garage sale section . . . Somebody will be happy to buy them . . . And then split them up and use them as centers. Thanks for stopping by . . . We'll see you in another three years when you revive your dead thread. I wonder what that post will be about? Now, I am going to turn up the volume on the front stage of my HT and let the voices coming out of the center Belle drown out your voice on this thread, so I can hear about other amazing solutions forum members have come up with during your three-year absence. See you in 2015.

Very disappointing.

Over-sized? No, exactly-right-sized. A small speaker between Jubs, KHorns or La Scala won't ever cut it.

I use a wall-inset La Scala as center between KHorns and down an acoustically transparent screen on front of it for movies. Much much better than using an Academy-like center!

The LaScala is the Heritage center channel to go inbetween a pair of Khorns. The Heresy goes inbetween a pair of Cornwalls.

Exactly. With those choices already, why would Klipsch produce one of those 2-woofers, one-at-each-end "centre speakers" that go against audio engineering theory for the sake of use of space?>

Because it doesn't really make sense to have a speaker with a 12-15" woofer in the center when you will never really utilize the 12-15" woofer the way it was intended to be used. Seems like a bit of a waste to me.

• Moderators

Because it doesn't really make sense to have a speaker with a 12-15" woofer in the center when you will never really utilize the 12-15" woofer the way it was intended to be used. Seems like a bit of a waste to me.

Waste [:o] such a dirty word, overkill is much better, something almost everyone here knows about. [:$]

Anyway I use every inch of my 12'' woofer in my center. [:P][;)] I don't waste the 15'' woofer in each of the 4 bass bins for just 2 CH either..I can hear them now.....[8] [:P]

But there can be some compromises, but to me, not if it affects the sound. But I am old and hard headed, ask my wife. [:S]

I'm speaking in terms of how a movie is mixed. Low notes just don't go to the center channel. Even if you have the center as full or large, that doesn't mean that anything extra is going to go to the speaker. The vocals are still the main thing that will come out of the center. This is why I say that it seems pointless to have something large like that in the center, and not very cost/space effective for most people in their setups. What's wrong with someone wishing there was a lascala center option for them? I would say it's not outside of the realm of possibilities.

• Moderators

Nothing wrong with wishing, I always thought a Heritage center was a good idea and shouldn't have been a big deal considering Heritage is for the most part made to order anyway.

But it would still be if nothing else a really deep speaker for the horns, especially if is to match a LaScala or Khorn. The other possible option would be like the 510 horn klipsch uses, it's not as deep, if it matches ?

Even set to small a fair amount of voice and effects do come from the woofer so it would have to be a decent size to match. Another thing they may consider is many with Heritage for HT buy used, except for a very few and those were either all Heresy or Cornwall lll with a Heresy lll for a center, same horns in both, a perfect match.

I still think they should make something for a center, at the least, vertical models, that is easy, turn the horns.

I do have to say with 3 identical speakers across the front it is better than any center designed to match the mains.