Center Channel - Why not add "something" to the new Heritage line?

fleshx

it doesn't really make sense to have a speaker with a 12-15" woofer in the center when you will never really utilize the 12-15" woofer the way it was intended to be used. Seems like a bit of a waste to me.

The Heresy and La Scala have low frequency extension that is just about perfect for crossing over to a sub at the standard 80 Hz. No waste there.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never owned a heritage speaker, although I hope to some day, so this may sound like pure idiocy. But I would imagine saving the money on a center speaker and putting it towards better mains would be a more than viable solution? Example would be a La Scala Left/Center/Right vs Klipschorn Left/Right. I'd imagine the Klipschorns would have no problem sharing the duties of a center channel

• Moderators

In a really wide room your right 3 LaScalas would be better, either way is good on a smaller room, being the only difference would be the bass, with the top horns being the same on both models.

I have to say when I first started reading here everyone back then was saying use identical speakers across the front, like many things I have learned here it was great advice, it makes a big difference. imo

I currently us a Crites CS-1.5 with a horizontal horn & a horizonal cabinet as a center for my HT the mains are CornScala

one of the older designs with a stock driver & the PH800 horn . I'm up-grading the CornScalas to a 2 way set-up

using the Elip-Trac 400 & I plan on building a center using the same drivers/horn as the mains

That CS-1.5 is good but I feel it can't keep up with mains

When listen to my live recordings I select all channel stereo & like that the center has impact just as the mains have

I usually am moving around the the room doing things ,working on the PC listening so I'm not in the sweet spot all the time so having a center that matchs the mains is high on my list

The "horizontal" center channel that Klipsch was going to come out with for the Heritage lineup was just going to be a Heresy with the HF/MF section rotated 90 degrees so that it could be placed on its side. It doesn't sound like you would be interested in that.

I would, I have actually been thinking of building one to see how I like it. I would just want to find the exact k-77 tweeter as my Cornwalls. Piece of mind.

I use a Lascalla turned on it's side.

Posted Image

It sounds fine, but I hate the looks. Even after I refinish, it will still have the doghouse cover/bottom showing and will look wrong to my picky eyes. I also really want to use the pair in my bar and hate to tie them up for the HT center.

A split Lascalla would work for me and I have considered cutting the top off of mine but it would look out of balance. I am limited to about 24" of center speaker height and there is no way around this for me. I want my screen the size it is, and I want it at the height it is.

I would love to try a vertical Cornwall. I would probably buy one new at retail if Klipsch made them. I have some 74 Cornwall cabinets that I plan to have rebuilt with vertical motorboards one of these days. I would really like to fit a trachorn in there but I doubt it would fit in the vertical configuration.

I have been eying this

http://www.klipsch.com/product/75768.25724.84524.0.0/1012642/_/KPT-4350-MS

It seems like it may be just what I have been looking for I just wish I could hear it in my room before writing the check.

Anyway, put me down as one who would like to see klipsch sell a large heritage center.

A split Lascalla would work for me and I have considered cutting the top off of mine but it would look out of balance. I am limited to about 24" of center speaker height and there is no way around this for me. I want my screen the size it is, and I want it at the height it is.

Think acoustically transparent screen.

dsc_0703cr.jpg

dsc_11335cr3.jpg

DSC_0019-2.jpg

Is that the KPT-12-VB or the KPT-1201 as side surround? Which are you using as rears? (Nice!)

EDIT: Found the info in your profile: KPT12-VB Sides, KPT1201 Rears. Satisfied? There's also the KPT-250 to consider, sort of a ported Heresy.

Think acoustically transparent screen.

dsc_0703cr.jpg

dsc_11335cr3.jpg

Not going to happen. My screen and the wall behind it stays. I know it is unbelievable that I don't want a lascala built in to my wall even if it was possible (it isn't). I want the speakers in the room. . My point was only that there is a market for at least one vertical cornwall or similar heritage matching center speaker.

The speaker can be in the room... Just install the screen two feet into the room! Devil

In your shoes, I would split the La Scala and maybe make an active two-way out of it (JubScala with the small horn).

The thought has crossed my mind. I actually ran enough speaker wire to run all three front speakers active three way.