I could not believe it

gyoko

Hi Guys/Gals,

Thanks for the wonderful reception. I own a pair of K-horns that I use exclusively for listening to music. I use a dedicated center channel to complete the horn ensemble. The center channel is a horn-loaded loudspeaker built by a small company called CRH, which I live near. They actually matched the wood species, grain and finish to my K-horns so it would appear as a matched ensemble. This speaker, which they call the "Carlron", is the only loudspeaker that I would even consider using with my venerable K-horns. If anyone doesn't have corners and wants the FULL horn sound in a mid-wall posistion, I have heard the "Carlrons" in stereo pairs and all I can say is the sound is OVERWHELMING and UNBELIEVEABLE. In every respect the "Carlron" is a clear match for my K-horns and in some respects they clearly out perform them. Check out there web site www.crhloudspeaker.com , they are an obvious alternative.

So what sort of price are we talking about for these non-corner KHorn lookalikes???

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Nice looking speaker, but oy, is the writeup on 'mechanical advantage' a truckload of male bovine byproducts!

This 'ronnie' fella didn't invent *any* of this. He's riding the coattails of Paul Klipsch, Jim Lansing, William Hartsfield, et al.

It made me *sick* to read it, actually.

He prolly "realized that the ability to create massive wavefronts of sound was the secret to the sensory impact of a live musical performance" AFTER he'd heard a couple of Big Ole Horns, Klipsch or otherwise Biggrin.gif

Poser!

------------------

---

Klipsch SF2

Thorens TD145 / AT440ML turntable

Dynaco Stereo 70 power

Sansui CA-2000 pre

Pioneer RT707 tapedeck

Pioneer 4100 cd player

This message has been edited by Thoriated_Tiger on 02-25-2002 at 11:12 AM

gyoko,

Give me a break, P-L-E-A-S-E!

I suspect imitation is the highest form of flattery. Sounds like this company copied pretty much from a '70s Klipsch Loudspeaker Systems booklet. Klipsch already had the answer to a center channel for the Khorns with the Cornwall or Belles, even a Heresy. In fact, I have one of the booklets from the original owner of my Belles, with two Khorns and a Cornwall as center on the cover. All you had to do was purchase the Klipsch speaker designed for the task. They even ripped off the "floor as optical mirror" illustration used by Klipsch to describe how the Klipschorn handles 32-foot wave lengths. BTW, the Patent Notice can also be found on the last page of that booklet.

To each his own!

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 02-25-2002 at 03:28 PM

quote:

This speaker, which they call the "Carlron", is the only loudspeaker that I would even consider using with my venerable K-horns

What about a Belle?

Patent infringement and 'copycatting' notwithstanding, I am hard pressed to believe that no matter how fine a speaker, and these do look fine, the sonic and tonal and timbre qualities would be a 'match' since the 'internal mechanics' are quite different.

'OVERWHELMING'.....quite possible. 'UNBELIEVABLE'.....perhaps. 'MATCH'.....well......

------------------

Ed

A quick look at the back of this speaker reveals that the design is not a folded horn ala PWK. My bet is its more like a LaScala with the mouth exhausting to the back or a variant of an EV or Jensen design.

The web site is a turd, leaves the "Normals" in the dark and the rest of us speculating.

Regarding loosing your lunch over this-relax, the patent of the Klipschorn (which it isn't) long expired. Any half-wit with a tablesaw can go into business and make Klipschorn clones, just don't call them Klipschorns.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 02-26-2002 at 06:34 AM

I think you're right John. It looks to be a LaScala that is loaded to the rear wall... BIG SH*T. At best,the way this guy has structured the write-up, it looks as if he latched onto one foundation from his H.S. Statics class and was so impressed by "his discovery" it prevented him from accelerating to Dynamics. At worst, plagiarism. I'd be surprised if he didn't, sometime in the future, change his surname to Klipsche. Next up...You give the Carlrons a good lustre if you rub them often with snakeoil.

quote:

Originally posted by gyoko:

Hi Guys/Gals,

The center channel is a horn-loaded loudspeaker built by a small company called CRH, which I live near.

SOUNDJUNKIE, I think he was pretty upfront about that, no?

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

gyoko:

We appreciate your enthusiasm over an audio product, that is what we are all here for. But three different posts under three different threads DOES look like a way to obtain some free promotion for a company that is "soon to sell on the Internet." I ask that you keep your "enthusiasm" to one post only.

PhilH