I recently got a Mac

wheelman

I remember babbling on ages ago about how I may get a Mac. I finally did, and I like it. I honestly can't see myself going back. You Apple users weren't insane after all ranting on an on about how good life was. Seriously though it is much more stress free, and WOW what do you do on a computer? I was so used to fixing them I didn't know you could be creative. I still got to work on that. To top it all off this old hick has DSL up in the house. It's been a long long time coming. Well I am not here to sell Apple computers so thats about it. I hope everyone is doing well.

welcome aboard

windows machines are for folks who like to tinker and have a lot of time on their hand and who enjoy talking to other windows users about windows problems and the bright ideas they discovered to work around them.

mac users on the other hand are busy living life and need a reliable computer to use in the sense they need telephones...when they activate the tool...they expect that it should work.

I know where your coming from I was one of those tinkers. That is kind of cool tinkering around with a home build pc still is I would imagine, but that's where it ends for me. I may get into supin' up my mac down the road but not by much. I like how quiet it is, and reliable so it seems. Nice not having to wait for anti virus scans all day long, and randomly bogging your system down.

• 1 month later...

Congrats! I've been a Mac user since the days when people who had computers were the exception rather than the rule. As such, in my encounters with PCs, especially Vista, I can't understand how people get anything done! For me, Macs= stress free computing.

Thanks and welcome to the forum. Yeah much less stress no doubt about it.

Did you get a Macbook or an IMac ?

No I got the new mini, but went all out got a wireless apple keyboard, and mouse. I also scored a 20" cinema monitor on ebay that really makes it even sweeter. For my needs this monitor is perfect damn near perfect color where ever you view it. I did run the mini with my old monitor for a bit though and it was cool too. The hardrive is a tad slower than I was used to but its worth it to me. Its just so quiet I don't think I would want to speed it up for a noisier one. Plus the thing barely even uses power it's less than most 40 watt light bulbs when pushed.

I haven't been using computers since the slide ruler, matter of fact, I'm just a retired sailor, I teach people how to defend themselves for a living, so my computer work is minimal. I use a Linux server for all video storage and streaming and Vista and Windows 7 clients, funny thing is it all works. All of the file shares are broadcast in SMB/CIFS, not Appletalk. Funny thing about standards, they may not be the best but they exist.

I remember the intro of OSX, looked a lot like Open Darwin, except for the proprietary part, not as fast as Gnome, but ok. I remember BSD, another non proprietary architechture, which became in the OSX form became all about the APL (Apple Public License). Not like I'm a big fan of open source or closed source, I just like stuff to work, easily and cheaply. M$ very courtesly decided to give me an upgrade from Vista Ultimate 64 to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit for $10.00. I have seen Apple charge far more for OSX releases that were really just updates. I think the definition of stess free is whatever makes you happy.

I won't even get into the hardware issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congradulations on the choice. Now you are free from pc viruses, and all kinds of weird problems associated with PC's. I have made a living fixing Window's probems, and MAC is my personal preferance, however Microsoft has forced me to use a PC to fix the problems that they create.

When I got my iMac one of the first things I looked for was virus protection . There is none . The thing just works , weird ...

I hear you there, every machine in the house has a blu-ray disc reader and my main machine has a blu-ray burner. Personally I run Vista Ultimate 64 Bit, W7 and for my pet server Ubuntu. One day I went across the street to the apple store, to replace my favorite desktop (blu-ray/DVD burner, hot graphics card 1024 MB of graphics memory with DVI, HDMI and svideo output, AMD X2 processor, 4 GB of RAM, 1 GB of HD space Hauppauge TV card, Soundblaster Extreme Audio and a Creative IO Module so I could run a spdif cable into my receiver.In the pc world, this technical miracle was a mere bag of shells compared to the cost of getting a mac that would do some of the same tricks.

My Mac would be a Mac Pro for $5500...not exactly how I would spend my money, I saw this really cool horn project, and as long as my syphillitic, poorly designed PC continues to work, and of course the other AMD server , Using Ubuntu. machine broadcasting SMB shares and acting as a file serrver. Funny thing is that OSX is designed to meet the SMB/CIFS standards for authentication and mounting, these standards are Microsoft standards. Funny thing is that I spend about $25 a year of virus protection and not caught a PTSTD yet.

I think what I am trying to say is that some folks like chocolate and some like vanilla, there is no real superiorty, only the performance to the task the machine is to be used for. Tht alone is hard enough, OS irrespective.

I'm an agnostic, if it works I'm good with it, if it doesn't well it doesn't