Theater Locator

JohnA

I tried the theater locator tonight and got nothing, even for zip codes I thought had returned a location before.

Is it still functioning? I'm in San Antonio, TX and want to see Transformers, ROTF on Klipsch,if possible.

Well, we lucked out. I picked a Regal Cinema in Lake Charles, LA (SAT was sold out Th night and we had to leave) and it had a Klipsch System.

I need more subwoofers! That movie literally shook the seats bolted to a concrete floor. Watch for the EMP about 3/4 of the way through the movie, when The Fallen raises his staff to activate some sort of weapon in the last (!) battle, and something weird in the opening credits. Other than that, every footstep and fall thumps.

If you see this movie and are not overwhelmed at least those 3 times with low bass, the theater is just big and loud.

How I wish I could hear a Klipsch Commercial Theatre in Ontario, I went an seen Pelham 123 last nigh and they have a crappy JBL system which there was next to no bass, if there was, they had a phase problem, and they had this really annoying 4kHz screetch when it could happen, the horn that is sounded throughout the first part of the movie was unpleasent to hear. I love my Klipsch Home Theatre, I don't go to the theatre much anymore, but I go to get a reality check of what a bad system sounds like.

I intend to see Tranformers at a Harkins Theater located here in OKC, OK. They have Klipsch sound systems that never fail to please me. I tried another theather locally that is newer. I don't remember the name, but I was disatisfied with the sound system. The theater locator is a handy tool for any Movie enthusiast and especially Klipsch enthusiasts.

Daniel

"That movie literally shook the seats bolted to a concrete floor."
John,
The odd thing about concrete mounted theater seats is that as far back as 1959/1960, in the 70 mm, 6 channel magnetic sound release of Ben-Hur, the simulated earthquake sound during the crucifixion scene shook the floor mightily. I made a point of examining the floor to make sure it was not wood and it appeared to be solid concrete. Also, the thunder claps created a breeze that could be strongly felt in the 11th row from the screen where we were sitting. We were told that the speakers in that theater were custom JBLs in gigantic horns, made for and installed by Ampex, under contract to Todd-AO, and were put in for the earlier Todd-AO films starting with Oklahoma! in 1955. Ben-Hur was in a competing but similar process -- MGM Camera 65 -- made for them by Panavision, but used the same Todd-AO 6 track magnetic playback head and an almost identical mag sound recording system. The speakers were only rated to go down to 40 Hz (then "cps"), but were "usable" much lower.
The suggestion of an earthquake in Ben-Hur in that theater was more believable, less hokey, albeit a bit more subtle, than in the film Earthquake in the '70s in Sensearound, with it's big bass horns that traveled from theater to theater.