War Movies

Colin

Don't forget the Civil War movies. Glory and Gettysburg are two of my favorites. The cannon barrage before Pickets Charge in Gettysburg is a great work out for the sub!

YES to those cannons, I've witnessed a few reenactments and that is a feeling you don't forget. The horror of close quarters combat with pretty arcane weapons during the civil war is accurately represented here.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By virtue of an invitation to audition the new Klipsch flagship, the Palladium home theater, I recently had an opportunity to re-visit one of my all time favorite movies, Master & Commander, with Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany.

I love this 2003 movie because it is a sailing movie, with a great actor, wonderful dialogue and plot twists. It has incredible hand to hand, canon to canon battle scenes, set in 1805. The raw violence is juxtapositioned with the English Captain (Crowe) maneuvering his ship like a chess piece to outfox his rarely seen French opponent, while he and doctor spend their evenings playing the violin and cello music of Mozart and J.S. Bach.

Master was filmed with full scale replicas. It was nominated for Best: Art Direction-Set Decoration, Costume Design, Director, Editing, Makeup, Picture, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects. It won Oscars for Best Cinematography and Sound Editing. Crowe did most of the violin playing on camera, but the cello playing is Yo Yo Ma’s work. The soundtrack is available from Decca (ASIN: B0000DG07D).

Bettany is best known as the sick Silas in The Da Vinci Code and the charming Chaucer, with Heath Ledger in A Knight's Tale.

Master was directed by Petter Weir, who has remarkabl;e writing and directing credits: The Truman Show, Dead Poets Society, Witness, The Year of Living Dangerously and Gallipoli (another great war movie).

While watching Black Hawk Down

on DVD few days ago, I noticed there was a high-pitched helicopter

turbine whine sound during shots that took place in or near

helicopters. It sounded ear piercing (I was listening at 5 dB below

reference). I just want to know if it was meant to be that way.

The Thin Red Line

From a title, that comes from a poem by Rudyard Kipling, to the opening voice-over to the all-star cast, the poetic and philosophical nature of The Thin Red Line clearly sets it apart from other war moves.

The closing lines carry the essence of this gritty conflict: “This great evil. Where does it come from? How'd it steal into the world? What seed, what root did it grow from? Who's doin' this? Who's killin' us? Robbing us of life and light. Mockin' us with the sight of what we might've known. Does our ruin benefit the earth? Does it help the grass to grow, the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you, too? Have you passed to this night?”

Brief appearances by an all-star cast mark this movie as something special. Adrien Brody, George Clooney, John Cusack, Woody Harrelson, Elias Koteas, Tim Blake Nelson, Nick Nolte, Sean Penn, John C. Reilly and John Travolta all make brief appearances.

Though Woody Harrelson and Nick Nolte give powerful performances, to see James Caviezel’s incredible angelic demeanor is know why he was cast as Jesus in Mel Gobson’s The Passion of the Christ.

Yet this story is not a WWII Pulp Fiction. It is more Apocalypse Now meets Flags of Our Fathers. As such, its dreary poetic nature is likely to remain with the viewer long after its green on green jungle fighting scenes.

Saving Private Ryan is a brilliant movie, maybe the best war movie ever made, but it's so brutal that it was tough to watch once, and when an old girlfriend wanted me to watch it with her (first time for her, second time for me), I had to look away during the hand-to-hand combat scene where the American soldier is gently but unstoppably stabbed to death. The landing on the beach is also especially hard to sit through more than once.

As for The Thin Red Line, the accents, at least to my ears, make it hard to take seriously, with the philosophising crackers ruminating on the realities and implications of war. Other than that, it was pretty good.

Enemy at the Gates is really good, and based on the true story of the Russian sniper Vasily Zaytsev . I've seen it a number of times. Ed Harris and Jude Law are really good, and Bob Hoskins plays a pretty good Krushchev. Vasily's story here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Zaytsev

Michael Collins was really good, with Liam Neeson in the title role. After Ireland's War of Independence (1919-21), negotiations with the British resulted in the partition of the country into the Irish Free State and Northern Ireland, which remained under British control, and still is today. That was probably the best agreement that could have been obtained at that time, but many in Ireland felt betrayed by the agreement, and started the Irish Civil War (1922-23), a very bitter combat that sometimes had brother fighting brother, as in the American Civil War.

Michael Collins, made in 1996, covers this period, as does The Wind That Shakes the Barley, made in 2006. Both are very good movies.

The most exciting war movie of late is Rambo --

Yeah, its Sly, but he's good in this one, and the effects and visuals are incredible. The featurette on the DVD explained that the producers wanted to show what really happens to a human body when its hit by a large bullet or shell, and they succeeded. The mayhem and battle scenes feel realistic, and sometimes even hard to watch -- riveting.

• 1 month later...

I highly recomend the movie 'Das Boot", other wise known as The Boot. It is a move about a German Uboat crew, and for all intensive purpouses it is a very good movie.

That would be "The Boat" in English. It was a really good movie, and at least to me, who's never been to war, it did seem pretty realistic.