War Movies

Colin

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After waiting for a couple years for the price to come down..... Finally got the full set of the BBC rpoduction of LeCarre's "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". Also got weak and got the follow on BBC production of "Smiley's People". Lotta' high quality "shakespearean" actors who give the great performances expected. Alec Guiness, et.al.

While not "war" per se... It is a "war" movie in the sense of the monumental "behind the scenes" espionage struggle that was the hallmark of the "Cold War" between the Soviet Union and the west.

If you want an intense "thinking man's" spy flick, then you will really like "Tinker, Tailor".

PS. If you have not read the books by LeCarre', you should do so if you get a chance.

I got to see "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" on PBS many years ago - great series (and great book.) Read but never saw "Smiley's People." Wow, on Amazon those are almost $50 each. I'm still going to get them but did you find a better deal? "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" was another (older) film adaptation of great LeCarre novel.

Twists and evil turns up to the end. A definite buy, and watch, and watch, and watch...

and then wonder why you are watching..

Hmm, that makes me think of Team America: World Police...

For espionage, The Tailor of Panama was pretty good, with Pierce Brosnan playing a British spy gone bad. I mentioned it to a buddy, though, and he replied that he'd rather see The Tailor of Pam Anderson. A lot of guys might like to see a movie like that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

watching HBO's "Band of Brothers," which is interesting, but this movie is not in the top notch league...

Really??? I'd be interested in your criteria. I think that the character development was excellent, the detailed look at particular situations such as the artillary barrage, and the unique film style of the action scenes all made for an excellent series.

I would argue that some of the 'war movies' mentioned are borderline as far as 'war' goes. But scifi action is very engaging and I guess does meet some minimum criteria. The OP inclusion of The Postman comes to mind. This is more a post apocalyptic movie. Spy movies are also somewhat borderline in my opinion. YMMV.

bob

maybe I should rethink Band of Brothers, because I don't find it particularly moving, it does meet my criteria:

"what we really want is the
pounding action and violence of a teeth-gritting war movie. We want
“can’t take your eyes away” portrayals of glory, courage, pain and gore.
We want sub-woofers to thump our chairs like mortar shells on Omaha
beach, shake our walls like a firing range. We want to watch war movies.
Here are my favorite, all-time best, “make no apologies, war is about
killing” movies"

"what we really want is the pounding action and violence of a teeth-gritting war movie. We want “can’t take your eyes away” portrayals of glory, courage, pain and gore. We want sub-woofers to thump our chairs like mortar shells on Omaha beach, shake our walls like a firing range. We want to watch war movies. Here are my favorite, all-time best, “make no apologies, war is about killing” movies"

Based on the OP quote, there are many movies suggested here that don't make that grade.

Anybody remember the short lived series "Space: Above and Beyond". Maybe it was mentioned. It was real graphic in the depiction of battlefield death and dying. I remember just having been married and both my new wife and her mother were appalled by how painful it was to watch. Pretty hard stuff for TV.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...