Got Tomatoes?

Tarheel

My wife makes a killer tomato salad.  She cuts up those small mozzarella balls, adds onions, salt pepper, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and who knows what else.  I could make a meal out of it.  We've never had left overs as many times as she's made it. Sometimes she'll slice up some cucumbers and add to it as well.

• Like 3

Our corn is coming on. Not a single worm in the ears.... yet. Too much rain even for bugs. Green beans are growing crazy. We ate our first few tomato's this week, best I had all year. Had to dig up potato's early or they would rot in the ground. Onions did rot in the ground. The thing I like about home grown vegys is if you make a some type of vegy salad, each vegy has a flavor that stands out.  I love to watch my wife work in the garden. That's my farm report.

• Like 2

Farmers market is good. When I was a kid there was always old pick up trucks on the side of the road selling their goods. They were so sure of their watermelons that they would cut a tri angle out of if( called plugging) and let you try it out before you bought it. They had a bunch of kids that would stare at use as we stared at them. And an old tired dog that never moved. Those days are gone.

• Like 1

I'm with Tarheel on this one. Merita white bread, Dukes mayo and fresh ripe tomatoes w/S and P and a tall glass of southern iced tea. Dad and I doin a garden this year. Grape tomatoes for salads, Romas for sauce and Better Boys for sandwiches. One slice covers a piece of bread. If you like Grilled cheese, try a thin slice of tomatoe and a thin slice of onion on it, prepare as usual. UUMMM hard to beat.

Big D

• Like 3

Well I got a lead on some tomatoes and fairly close by.  Will see how it pans out.

Big D......that sounds tasty.  Vidalia onion, bleu cheese, and bacon on a slab of Better Boy sounding good about now.

There is also an onion called Mattamuskeet Sweet grown up in the eastern part of the state.  As good as Vidalia to me.

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 1

If it grows, the ONE thing the wife and i will never need to worry about, eating.

Knowing the farmer(s) the last time i ask my Bud if he had any tomatos, he told me to swing by another guys farm on the way to his, when i did two 5 Gal buckets fresh picked waiting for me.

I watch what i say around these guys :o

Fresh Corn was waiting for me kast week, rice harvest is coming soon, Walnut/Almonds also.

• Like 2