Got Tomatoes?

Tarheel

checking out the farmers market tomorrow- hoping to score some of the purple hierlooms- still a little early.

cant grow bleep around here- critters eat them first- tried some porch tomatos and something got them 2 years in a row.

if i planted a garden the homeowners association would send a swat team or call in an air strike-

My father in law just loves growing tomatoes every year, mainly to make sauce for the pasta (absolutely yummie) and diced tomatoes for salads.. Though the weather in Australia during the months to grow tomatoes over the past years are making his efforts less rewarding.. very little rain and then the extreme hot days burn the plants.. He just absolutely loves his little Italy (little Italy is what I call his impressive veggie patch) he has created in his backyard..

[Y] to you Dad

To the first time growers, home growen tomatoes that you grow yourself is the best you'll ever eat.

This statement is so true for my wife and I. We won't even purchase ANY tomatoes in the store, as NONE of them taste anything like a true homegrown, I will say that Roma's come pretty close.

Has anyone tried that TBL Panzenella that I posted earlier. If not, your really missing out on a delicious dish.

• Moderators

Your right nothing I have ever grown was even close to what you get in the store. homegrown is always much better. I think most of it is they pick well before ripe to get it shipped, also I think they may also grow varieties which produce more or more resistant to bugs or watering, that is just a guess ?

I think I would be scared of a tiller like that ! [:|]

• Moderators

NPR said just a few weeks ago that the payback on $100 invested in "victory garden" is $1K!

See also: http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/06/29/bia.urban.farming/index.html

Your right we have only spent maby $20 and that's because we bought plants instead of seeds ( except for the snap beans). I was a little late and didn't have time so I just bought some plants. We have already got our moneys worth and have not even picked 10% of the tomatoes and about half of the eggplant.

I remember the first time I was exposed to ss crabs was at the Dockside restaurant at Wrightsville Beach about 22 years ago. They served ss crab on hamburger buns with home made tartar sauce. It was a little wierd seeing those appendages hanging out of the buns. They also served a mean bologna sandwich with mustard and chili on hamburger rolls.

The wife and I were tooling around in the boat last week and decided to eat lunch there. Enjoyed a nice grilled tuna sandwich and scallop burger..oh, and crab dip. It was a good day on the water.

Carl

Being the naive farmer that I am can someone tell me how big these plants can get? They are growing like 1 to 2 inches per day, sometimes MORE. Already they're topping out a 42" support cone. Should I be planning on more support rigging? My neighbor who is a science instructor is very impressed with them. He says the growth rate is because I have them in a quasi greenhouse environment. They are on a glass paneled open deck and get excellent sunlight for at least 10 hours a day. No wind or bugs (yet). I'm not worried. I just like to plan ahead.

Depends on variety, I have had a sweet 100 cherry plant reach 7 ft and probably had about 200 tomatos on it. If you are going to get out of a large basket, get a long support pole at Lowes or HD (or if you happen to have a chunk of rebar laying around like I do, works just as well) Once they get to that point I usually tie the plant to the rebar loosly with some surveyors plastic tape to keep it from tipping.

Wow- scored some 7 count shrimp this morning- 2lbs= 14 shrimp = 5" long monsters-heads on- almost no dark spots from being out of the water- these were swimming a few hours ago.

steamed with Phillips seafood seasoning- red pepper- vinegar-salt - pepper- beer- garlic powder- paprika

best I have ever had- rare inland in this condition- Eat your heart out tarheel.

Tomatoes here still suck- maybe next week- bought bacon in anticipation.

Wow- scored some 7 count shrimp this morning- 2lbs= 14 shrimp = 5" long monsters-heads on- almost no dark spots from being out of the water- these were swimming a few hours ago.

steamed with Phillips seafood seasoning- red pepper- vinegar-salt - pepper- beer- garlic powder- paprika

best I have ever had- rare inland in this condition- Eat your heart out tarheel.

Tomatoes here still suck- maybe next week- bought bacon in anticipation.

You must have had to wrestle those monsters to get them in the pot[:)]

A racoon or possum has been stealing my tomatoes.....gonna have to get my fly swatter out.

This weather has my garden in the crapper! The thing I can't figure is a house I drive by on the other side of the lake has a garden that looks like it has had sun everyday. None ever seems to be there to ask what they are doing. My cabbage looks really good, so good the deer aet half of it.

Garden is bumming me out, bring on the sun.

I love me some spider rolls, never seen a soft crab for sale to cook at home though.

It's not raining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well at least not right now.

• Moderators

We got 3/4" of rain a week ago and it is raining to day, this is the only rain we have had in a month with temps from 95-100 for the month.

I just finished blanching and putting 3, 1 gallon freezer bags of tomatoes to freeze, plenty more to come from the way it looks. Also breaded some sliced green tomatoes last night with some more eggplant to go with some grilled chicken. [:P] The snap beans have almost come to an end, but still making flowers so we will see.