Got birds of prey?

sputnik

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a shot of both parents shortly after the eggs hatched. We had tough weather this spring - late snow storms, high winds, and hail storms. We'd look outside during the harsh weather and see the mom hunkered down and protecting the nest with her wings (I assume it was the mom but I've heard that the male will also sit the nest while the female hunts.) But in the picture you can see how rough it was for the mom by comparison.

post-17394-13819486113394_thumb.jpg

Do Loons count, they prey on fish.

These guys have been hanging around my dock for a couple weeks you can see one of the babys on the moms back. The other baby is not in this photo.

Pics would be better if the sun would ever come back.

post-28352-13819486116458_thumb.jpg

awesome

during the colder months we have an owl that hangs out in the area and a falcon who makes meals out of the birds that show up to feed on the local bird feeders.

Our place has always been home to Turkey, Redtail Hawks and Barred Owls. But this year has been special. Saw a Bald Eagle and a Great Horned Owl on the driveway here so far this year.

Great Horned Owl

Very Nice.

We also sometimes get pileated woodpeckers.

Not a bird of prey but almost as big, and just as cool!

post-28352-13819486134622_thumb.jpg

Hobie, nice shot. Is that a sharp-shinned hawk? Looks like it let you get close. These red-tails are pretty wary.

Brac, No loons here but we get bald and golden eagles showing up in the fields around every fall. I never thought I'd say this on the internet but nice looking woodpecker there.

We have Hawks around here and an occasional bald eagle. We have tons of birds living in back of the house. For some reason we get lots of vultures in this area too. Its pretty creepy looking out and seeing 10 or so vultures hanging out on top of out silo's. Do bats count as bird's or prey?

post-16814-13819486198346_thumb.jpg