Headphones

PhilMays

Hi guys, it's been awhile. Mostly Facebook anymore, but I have a question that only you guys can answer :)

I now mow about 12 acres each week in our new home. This has become my "listening stage" as I've become so danged busy anymore. I've been through several cheap sets, and the mower noise is tremendous.

The best set of head phones I've gotten so far is the Bose pair, non-noise cancelling, set at Target for something like $130.

Before the suggestion is made, I can't do "earbuds" It freaks me out having something in my ears. I'm old school and like the comfort of headphones on my ears, plus, they do cancel out noise from mowers better.

My question is this. Has anyone A/B the bose headphones with their noise cancelling set? Any other reccomendations? I'm looking for a nice set of headphones that I can enjoy my music (really enjoy) without cranking up the player so loud to drown out the mower.

BTW, the Bose headphones are excellent, but I have VERY limited experience in such things :)

Thanks for any advise

I also am one of those people who can't take stuff in my ears. I also can't take something on my ears for long. I have owned Bose QC2 (around ear) and QC3 (on ear) both do a great job of drowning out airplane noise for me. I still have the QC2's because although the padded area does touch my ear, they don't put pressure on the ear lobes. I can wear them for about an hour at a time, which is longer than I can take any other earphone or headphone.

This won't be of any help since it involves earbuds, but it works and others may benefit.

Buy a good pair of noise attenuators like those made by David Clark. Then use your earbuds underneath them. The Dave Clarks really do a great job of cutting down on noise, and are relatively cheap especially when compared to something active like the bose. Plus, they are beaters so you don't have to worry about them. I used to wear them when I did fiberglass work and they'd get beat to hell and take it.

Each year I use an electric buffer and renew the gel coat on my boat using this technique. I slip my ipod in my pocket and have at it. Takes the better part of two days and it really keeps the monotony and noise to a minimum.

The ear cups on the Clarks are big enough that perhaps you could whack the headband of a pair of inexpensive and small headphones. Then stuff them inside the hearing protectors ???

• 2 weeks later...