So whatcha doin this weekend?

J.4knee

Aside from our traditional 4th of July BBQ (smoking baby back ribs n cookin corn on the cob on the grill) I'll be brewing at least once and maybe twice. For sure I will brew an American Amber Ale but possibly an Imperial Stout as well. How bout you folks whatcha doin this weekend???

Aside from our traditional 4th of July BBQ (smoking baby back ribs n cookin corn on the cob on the grill) I'll be brewing at least once and maybe twice. For sure I will brew an American Amber Ale but possibly an Imperial Stout as well. How bout you folks whatcha doin this weekend???

Jay,

You are doing home brew brewskies? Sounds good with the ribs and corn.

Our church has a cookout early in the evening. Then we take lawn chair out to the parking lot. We're located just up the hill from the city park where the fireworks are launched. Best seat in town.

Putting together another Klipsch system for a jazz fest/ice cream social downtown tonight. About 200 peeps in attendance, light jazz music mostly solo piano/vocals or guitar/vocals.

Tomorrow, hopefully fireworks but Indy is slated for thunderstorms. That's ok, my new grass could use it. Probably need to rest from all the landscaping work I've done this week.

M

Putting together another Klipsch system for a jazz fest/ice cream social downtown tonight. About 200 peeps in attendance, light jazz music mostly solo piano/vocals or guitar/vocals. 

Tomorrow, hopefully fireworks but Indy is slated for thunderstorms. That's ok, my new grass could use it. Probably need to rest from all the landscaping work I've done this week.

M

Sounds like a good fun weekend. We could really use the rain as we are on water rationing for things like landscape watering total of about 20 minutes/week.

Jay,

You are doing home brew brewskies? Sounds good with the ribs and corn.

Our church has a cookout early in the evening. Then we take lawn chair out to the parking lot. We're located just up the hill from the city park where the fireworks are launched. Best seat in town.

Yep I do the home brew thing. My timing is a bit askew as I'll run out of my ESB before I get the new brews out of secondary fermentation and kegged.

R/Jim

- Family outings planned with steaks and baby backs. I brewed for several years. Contintental Pilsner loded with Sasz?? hops and some kind of Russian 12% black ale that would kick your @--.Problem was that I ended up being the Beer Santa claus for the whole neighborhood. My real Job started taking too much time so I sold my stuff. Still really miss those hoppy pilsners. better than store bought anyday. had the temp controlled brewing fridge and the whole 9 yards. Pilsner needs to fermit at 55 degrees.Dont miss cleaning all those bottles.

Soooooo.....The baby backs were mmmm soooooo goood, fresh corn on the cob, the yeast starter will be ready in the AM, watched the local fireworks for my front porch w/ a 15 Y/O Balvenie Single Barrel and an Onyx Reserve.......twas a good day.

ps...beer santa = bad ...that is why I do not bottle!!! don;t mind sharing but have no intention of being the local neighborhood distributer.

THE Balvenie-15 yr. This is the single malt that taught me to apprciate good scotch. I keep a bottle of this as well as Doublewood at all times. No proper liquior cabinet is complete without it.My 10 year old Springbank has disappaered from the shelves. Rumor has it that the distilers are pulling it back and re- oaking it for 4-5 years so they can charge a fortune.??? This came from the guy at the liquior store. WIth that in mind -Doublewood has become my volume scotch for daily and guests. 1st place in my bang for the buck award.

maybe we need a scotch thread????

THE Balvenie-15 yr. This is the single malt that taught me to apprciate good scotch. I keep a bottle of this as well as Doublewood at all times. No proper liquior cabinet is complete without it.My 10 year old Springbank has disappaered from the shelves. Rumor has it that the distilers are pulling it back and re- oaking it for 4-5 years so they can charge a fortune.??? This came from the guy at the liquior store.  WIth that in mind -Doublewood has become my  volume scotch for daily and guests. 1st place in my bang for the buck award.

maybe we need a scotch thread????

Oh I whole heartedly agree. I too use the DoubelWood as my "daily" , I used to use The Glenlivet 12 Y/O as my definition for a good pedestrian scotch, which I guess it can still fit that role as it is a scotch you should not go less than IMO. But The Balvenie just makes me grin and relax, the DoubleWood is just a nicer fuller bodied scotch with a notably smoother finish, and the Single Barrel just takes it to another level. Yeah a scotch thread would be a good idea.

OK so I only got around to brewing one batch, an imperial stout, it is in the fermenter now and the yeast is pitched. It was hot today had trouble getting the wort down to 70 to pitch, I was even using a wort chiller it was hard I could not get it below 80 so I wound up setting the boil pot on ice and added some very cold water. I am hoping this does not skunk due to the heat issues today. That would be a major bummer.

I sat inside while the family played. I managed to catch Poison Ivy and I had to stay in the AC because it was on my face and close to getting in my eyes and the sun made it itch that much more. I couldn't sleep due to the steroids. Went to watch the fireworks and it rained. Let's just say I've had better days but I've had worse by far.

I sat inside while the family played. I managed to catch Poison Ivy and I had to stay in the AC because it was on my face and close to getting in my eyes and the sun made it itch that much more. I couldn't sleep due to the steroids. Went to watch the fireworks and it rained. Let's just say I've had better days but I've had worse by far.

......OK so maybe I don't feel so bad about my troubles and tribulations with my brewing escapades yesterday.[;)] Wow what a crappy day. Hope the poson ivy thing passes soon.

The wife's family came out for the weekend so we had 11 for dinner on Friday, 10 on Saturday and 6 yesterday. Did up some steaks and teriyaki salmon on Friday with tomato, mozzerella with fresh basil and corn. On Saturday we had a lobster boil with little neck clams, shrimp, new potatoes, and grilled keilbasa. Sunday we kept it simple with some burgers and dogs and corn, I mean it was the 4th of July weekend after all. [:)] Everyone behaved themselves and my wine collection took a bit of a beating, but not too bad. Lots of G&T's, Sea Breezes, and cold brews.

I even got a round of golf in on Saturday, only my second round of the year, what a crappy spring here in NY. Nicest weekend of the year by far.