klipsch rf-7 question

fredrik

i know, it wasn't what i expected either. i installed the foam before i did the crossover mod. that's when i had the non klipsch friend over. when i listened to both speakers i heard a difference. i thought for sure my mind was playing tricks on me. when i invited my friend over, i didn't even tell him what i did, just asked if he could hear a difference. i was very happy to find out, that immeditaly he could tell the speakers apart.

like i said i got the idea in a indirect way from Al, i just ran with it with the rf-7. had plenty of foam laying around so it was no big deal, it was sacrificed for the good :)!

hopefully Falcon will add some comments, i don't think i am using the right word with "muddy." it was neat/weird to run them together and what we heard was the upgraded crossover took over the nonupgrade. infact, i couldn't even hear the other speaker until a "high" portion of the cd would play and then the no foam would over take the foamed speaker. in a nut shell, from no foam, to .25, to .5, the highes would roll off at different points. it's hard for me to put into words, but you could hear it at different points, while running them at the same time.

the foam is attached directly to the horn itself. i'll attach a pic in a few minutes.

dean,

i wasn't trying to "one up you." like i said, Al gave me the idea, i did the foam before the crossover, and both falcon and i decided if i added the resistor and the foam, it would lower that harshness too much. at least that's the conclusion we came to with out actually soldering it in.

i felt installing the foam would be a quick cheap way of getting rid of some of the harshness with out spending the money to do a complete crossover upgrade.

post-23806-13819486423798_thumb.jpg

oh dean,

had a direct question to you about crossover upgrade resistors.

falcon brought over his rc-7 with your upgraded crossover. that crossover didn't have the extra 10 olm resistor in it. is that how the rc-7 is suppose to be? we did compare my rc-7 vs yours, and was curious because neither of us know how it was suppose to be done. i believe the rc-7 was Arkys old rc-7.

I parallel the 10 up with the 2 on the RC-7 too. I'm sure Arky's (John's) has it.

'"i wasn't trying to "one up you."'

I didn't think that at all. No worries. You did state that "an upgraded crossover blows the heck out of a brand new crossover" -- which shows that it's not just the resistor mod that's accounting for the subjectively better sound.

I found DJK's bulb solution kind of interesting too.

falcon and i couldn't find it on the crossover. we wanted to call you and ask and see if it was one your first crossovers.

so it's interesting to know that falcon and westcott did a A/B comparasion between your crossover with out the 10olm resistor and a rc-64. they found that those two were so close in sound. so that's good news. i guess the only advantage of the 64 is that it's sealed.

I parallel the 10 up with the 2 on the RC-7 too. I'm sure Arky's (John's) has it.

You guys are talking over my head but yes that speaker was mine. When I got it back from Dean the improvement was significant. Carry on.

inventor -- early on, I would source 1.75 ohms Mills resistors from Percy Audio. In all liklihood, that's what that particular RC-7 has. I probably would have kept using them except for the painfully slow or no response from Michael Percy. It was only .09 ohms difference than paralleling the 2 and the 10, and a bit less trouble to put in.