RIPPED OFF!!!!!!!!... beware of the TSA when traveling

This post is not directed toward any member of this forum who is a TSA employee or any family member. I have heard stories of the TSA or the airline baggage people stealing atricles from CHECKED baggage. I know several friends who have lost digital cameras-expensive bottles of scotch- cigar travel humidors- an expensive graphite breakdown travel fly rod-a pair of expensive shoes- ect. So I stopped checking my luggage when I travel unless absolutely necessary.I was flying out of Charlotte last Tuesday when I was stopped at the security check. Allegedly there was an issue with the size off my ziplock with liquids. The guy was a complete low level jerk and I threw away a couple bottles of shampoo to please this @ss and go about my business. While this was going on my larger carry on roller was taken to an area just off to the side and opened amd searched. The bag was quickly returned to the conveyor so no big deal. I had my usual bag of cigars along with a cutter tucked back into a little side pocket along with a small leather bag containing an extra tie and an extra belt- gator belt and ferragamo tie- several hundred dollars. The cigars were unbanded so ther was no cuban cigar issue. Nobody said one word to me about the big bag.When I arrived In Canada the smoking situation was not favorable so i never went for my smokes- nor did i need the leather bag so I never looked in that section of the suitcase until I returned. I never let cleaning people into my room when I travel and the bag was not searched on the return trip. When I got back and started unpacking the cigars and the leather bag were missing. Thinking back- I am convinced that the 2 guys were working together. One "bag check" guy distracts you while the other'bag searcher" steals your stuff if anything good shows up on the scanner.These were a couple of dirty sleazy looking characters and they seem to be friends so the pieces of the puzzle fall into place. I am sure that I have no recourse. Be extra careful around these people when you travel .It appears that they will hire just about anybody. This is he first time that I have head of them stealing from carry on bags. Pretty brazen.Totally unsupervised. Your tax dollars at work. Typical govt deal.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aChris, I understand your feelings. After traveling several million miles on business I have had lots of experiences. Now I am retired i do not miss the hassel, if you have any medical problems and carry medication with you, good luck. Last year i almost got thrown off an island because I am diabetic and had needles and insulan. To make a long story short, I do not care if I ever have to go to an airpot again.

CB

The TSA has had some big issues IMHO...Not only have they had to react quickly since 911, they have had to gut the airport security system with there new procedures and standards. I don't think they have done a good job because there are huge inconsistancies from city to city. Chicago Ohare is terrible for one. The TSA is rude to the point of being selfish asses. I avoid that airport at all costs. This is a sign of the times. There is a bigger issue with the morality of Americans in general. People don't take care of each other as much as they used to.

I have lost prototype headphone is security areas in Asia (PEK) also.

I have a system I use which seems to help me. I have levels of security with my baggage. First of every thing is on wheels or shoulder straps. So I can carry on as much as possible. Anything checked I consider a potential donation for theft. Anything of value I keep on me. This wouldn't have help Winchester's situation but the idea is to create a heiarchy to your valuables and relate it to the bagage. Man bags or backpacks are a must. Money and Passports are top priority along with any prototypes that are invaluable for your job. These are kept on my suite jacket or man bag. There are also sub bags which can move quickly from one bag to another to redistribute as you travel and your needs change for the items. I always know where my man bag is when being scanned. I keep my eye on it as much as possible. I also split money into two or three wallets. Foreign in one and US currency in another. One is in the coat and one on the bag. If you do loose one to theft or mugging you still have some cash to convert for immediate use.

When preparing to go through the line, pull off all essentials...watch, phones, Blackberry, translators etc and put them in the coat or bag. Then when you get to TSA you only worry about shoes, PC's, tickets and passports, while you are keeping an eye on your bag going through the radar scan. If you are pulled aside during the search try to still watch the bag. Also don't rush. People have to wait on you, too bad.

When I check through local airports use your drivers license. You get searched more often if you use your passport here because you don't blend in. Also try to be friendly, it helps.

You will want to make sure that you haven't carried firearms or other nitro related items that day also. If you have wash your hands well and hope your shoes don't go off in the sniffer.

There is nothing lugurious about flying anymore. You just have to put your mind into the mode of meditation and bring lots of music for your 20-30 hours of travel. It helps.

Sorry you had issues Win... I don't think there is much you can do when dealing with crooked people in places of security. Same with the gov't. Maybe you should file a complaint with TSA.

Last year i almost got thrown off an island because I am diabetic and had needles and insulan.

Bum,

Can I ask what happened with the meds in the end? I am also Diabetic (Type I) and have never flown to where I need/want to go, but who knows what will happen in the future with work related possible needs to travel.

Prof- I have a similar system using a Briggs and Riley laptop case as a 2nd carry on. The bag is black soft leather has a ton of compartments fits a older/ smaller laptop-obsolete- has a lifetime warranty- and doubles as a very expensive looking briefcase for your business calls. you can find these on e-bay for nothing- paid like 80.00 for mine.400-500 when current. I do not carry a laptop so the bag is perfect as a second carryon. Also difficult to search. I credit my system to limiting this loss.

My radar kind of went up and I should have stopped and opened my big bag and checked before I left the security area- but I was in a hurry and ignored my funny feelings. I plan to call my congresswoman's office and also to file a complaint with TSA but I hold little hope of any response.

The alligator belt belonged to a deceased friend which really sucks.

They have got you coming and going. It is easy to distract you when you are asked to move all your valuables is a short amount of time. Let alone the fact that people can be intimidated by their authority. Can you imagine how much wealth is left at the ATA counter? Just from pocket knives alone.

One time in Germany I tried to fly out with my micro tool kit. This is basically dental picks, pliers, Xacto knives, hypos, adhesive. It is certainly enough for security to say WTF when it pops up on Xray? I was certainly searched after that. They were nice enough to let me put it in a plastic bag and put a luggage tag on it. I didn't expect to see it but it made it to the Peking airport.

The crappy thing is that these theives are lazy. If you do quetion where your cigar stash is they can just play ignorant. "Oh did I leave that out?" They probably had a cigar party on their lunch break and some extra cash to buy lotto tickets.

The sad reality is that this great nation is paying a big price for air and ground safety due to a small group of radicals during the 911 incident. They did steal part of our freedom with razor blades.

Severals years ago a friend of mine and I were sitting at a cigar bar pufffing away on a couple of Cohiba robustos- the real ones. A guy struck up a converstaion with us who was also smoking a cuban. He was the manager of a local well known gentlemens club- had a business card to indicate it. he said that his brother was a US customs manager at a major airport- one of the big ones. He told us that any type of Cuban cigar- any brand or shape was readily available for sale. Just come by and make a phone call. We hauled @ss out of the place and never came back.

Like you were saying..... apparently stealing from travelers is a perk. The booty gets sold or consumed.

I lost a benchmade knife a few years back- my mistake- I am sure it got sold or used.

Theft at airports is not limited to the US, it happens everywhere. For example, London's Heathrow Airport has the nickname "Thiefrow", so that should give you an idea how bad that place is. I used to know a Commissionaire (retired Forces type who do security work) who worked at Toronto's Pearson Airport. He told me of ongoing stories of disappearing luggage or luggage contents. I'm sure it's the same at all airports, although I've been lucky so far myself.

Carry-on luggage should be the safest, but you still have to keep your eye on it as best you can. Toolkits are an issue, as are knives. When I was diving, I always made sure that my dive knives and pocket knives were in the checked luggage, but even a simple Allen key set in your carry-on can hold you up at security.

In general, it's best not to travel with anything that you'd really hate to lose...

Yeah forget trying to file a complaint. That whole form and process is an utter joke. I fly occasionally for work and when I do I have to check three tool cases (forget the fact that it costs more for my luggage than my actual seat). On one of the cases, the latches always open during flight and my test equipment is essentially loose "all over" the plane. I was sure it was due to the fact that the TSA was not latching the case back up after their initial inspection. I once had a heated arguement with a less dimwitted TSA (supervisor) who suggested I buy a TSA approved lock to put on my case. NEVER NEVER fall for that trick, I did. Apparently it is too much for the TSA to make sure and put the lock back on your luggage after they inspect it. That was the whole idea behind the TSA approved locks. It is a padlock where you can set the code, but on the bottom it is also keyed for the TSA, so they dont have to cut off the lock. Well I bought 2 of these @ $21.00 and thought I was good to go. That was until my next flight, and my destination. Here I am waiting for my "case" to come across the bag conveyor, and I see my DVM, then my temp/pressure meter along with all my hand tools, INDIVIDUALLY. It was then that I found out that the complaint form/department is pretty much non-existant. The whole lot of em are USELESS.

Thump, they did steal our freedom on that day, but unfortunately left us with another Govt entity that just doesnt give a @@@@.

Well, after about 4 hours I did get everything back. That's not to say what you have to go through, I checked with the airline prior to vacation and they gave me a list of things I needed to do: For every perscription; a original perscription for each medication from your Dr, can't be a copy, the original, All medication must be in there original container, if you take shots make sure you have the perscription for all the needles and injection pens. If you think these idiots who are checking this stuff know what they are doing.

Bottom line I was treated like some drug addict scumbag, and almost strip scearched. Iwrote a very nasty letter to the airline, a lota good that did, but I felt better.

All I can say is be prepared for the worst. Again, I do nopt care if I every get on a plane again

CB

For every perscription; a original perscription for each medication from your Dr, can't be a copy, the original, All medication must be in there original container,

Good luck with that. Here at least, when you take your prescription to the drugstore, the pharmacist takes it and fills out your order. You never see that piece of paper again, but it is kept on file if it has repeats. You only have the original prescription until you get it filled. If you kept it, you could go to drugstores all over town and get as much drugs as you felt like.

Even so, it could be worse. I've read that in places like Dubai and Qatar, where they have zero-tolerance drug policies, you can be thrown in jail for having prescription medicines that are on their illegal list, even if they're legal in most other countries and you have the container with your name and your doctor's name on it.

Yeah, most recent immigrants here in FL....if you want to get really mad, their kids will have free medical care and college educations while you will just get taxed more...but I will get to smoke your cigars for a buck cheaper....sad fact is that a real terrorist could cause more damage and dislocation on the land side in most airports with explosives than on a given flight, so who the hell are we protecting?

I appreciate you guys sharing about TSA. I haven't flown in some years, so haven't run across this.

It's a shame that this is happening in the US. It is the sort of thing you'd expect in a banana republic.

Amtrack is sounding better and better, Michael.

I remember flying into Belfast, N Ireland, in the late '70s, at the height of the Troubles. Every single traveller had to open every single bag for inspection on long tables. Nobody grumbled. Actually, everyone was cheerful.

At Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam in the '80s, I was told by a security man with a submachine gun and an unfriendly attitude that if I wouldn't permit my rolls of film to be X-rayed, I wouldn't be allowed to board, so I told him to go ahead, then got on my flight.

I can only guess how high security is when getting on an El Al flight, and they've been very security-conscious for decades.

This is the state of the world today. It's not the fault of whoever's in the White House, and the federal government isn't trying to piss you off to show their power. Petty security people everywhere in the world can be very annoying, like when Customs in eastern Europe holds someone up at the border for 12 hours because they haven't realized a bribe is in order.

Norman Rockwell painted fantasies. America, and the world, never really was like his paintings. It may be time to admit that and get on with things.

This post is not directed toward any member of this forum who is a TSA employee or any family member. I have heard stories of the TSA or the airline baggage people stealing atricles from CHECKED baggage. I know several friends who have lost digital cameras-expensive bottles of scotch- cigar travel humidors- an expensive graphite breakdown travel fly rod-a pair of expensive shoes- ect. So I stopped checking my luggage when I travel unless absolutely necessary.I was flying out of Charlotte last Tuesday when I was stopped at the security check. Allegedly there was an issue with the size off my ziplock with liquids. The guy was a complete low level jerk and I threw away a couple bottles of shampoo to please this @ss and go about my business. While this was going on my larger carry on roller was taken to an area just off to the side and opened amd searched. The bag was quickly returned to the conveyor so no big deal. I had my usual bag of cigars along with a cutter tucked back into a little side pocket along with a small leather bag containing an extra tie and an extra belt- gator belt and ferragamo tie- several hundred dollars. The cigars were unbanded so ther was no cuban cigar issue. Nobody said one word to me about the big bag.When I arrived In Canada the smoking situation was not favorable so i never went for my smokes- nor did i need the leather bag so I never looked in that section of the suitcase until I returned. I never let cleaning people into my room when I travel and the bag was not searched on the return trip. When I got back and started unpacking the cigars and the leather bag were missing. Thinking back- I am convinced that the 2 guys were working together. One "bag check" guy distracts you while the other'bag searcher" steals your stuff if anything good shows up on the scanner.These were a couple of dirty sleazy looking characters and they seem to be friends so the pieces of the puzzle fall into place. I am sure that I have no recourse. Be extra careful around these people when you travel .It appears that they will hire just about anybody. This is he first time that I have head of them stealing from carry on bags. Pretty brazen.Totally unsupervised. Your tax dollars at work. Typical govt deal.

The TSA or someone handling my luggage lifted my favorite $400 Chris Reeves pocket knife a few years back. I raised hell at the airport, even filled out a stolen article form from AA. Never got back that pocket knife, but did recieve an official appology on TSA letterhead. Don't expect much, and never forget to take out your pocket knife before leaving the car at airport parking.

My fancy digital camera ALWAYS travel with me, and if I feel like dozing I wrap the strap securely around a wrist or ankle so they'd have to CUT it off me to get it, having no knives kinda makes that difficult. I've gone so far as to carry a padlock and lock the thing to the base of my seat if I go to the restroom.