acoustically transparent screens

garyrc

Who has an acoustically transparent screen?
What model?
How do you like it?
I have heard contradictory advice ... some say the speaker should be pushed right up against the screen, and others that it must be at least 1 foot back. Does this depend on the type of acoustically transparent fabric?
What do you do for EQ to compensate for treble loss due to the fabric?

Who has an acoustically transparent screen?
I do.
What model?
Seymour AV DIY - http://www.seymourav.com/ - Call and talk to Chris Seymour
How do you like it?
Love it!!
I have heard contradictory advice ... some say the speaker should be pushed right up against the screen, and others that it must be at least 1 foot back. Does this depend on the type of acoustically transparent fabric?
Don't know. I have mine pushed up to the fabric, but the driver is over a foot back into the horn.
What do you do for EQ to compensate for treble loss due to the fabric?
No EQ is required with this material. It measures acoustically nearly transparent.

Bill,
Thanks for the info.
How close does the audience sit to your screen?
Do you see the holes in the screen when the camera pans a bright sky, or a white object? If you can see them at all, do you see them when running every movie, or more rarely?

• Moderators

Now you've got me thinking...

My RC-64 is in the top center area of my false wall (about 7ft - 8ft) and angled downward towards the listening area. Dialog is anchored pretty well to the screen but I'm wondering how much different it would sound if I brought it down behind an AT Screen. I might just have to climb up in the false wall and haul it down and temporarily set it in front of my screen to see how she sounds. A DIY Seymore screen would cost under $300 so that would be sweet if it improves the sound significantly. Not sure if it will though.

post-27215-13819487390134_thumb.jpg

I would have absolutely no concern about the sound coming through the AT screen. If you were using measuring devices there may be a difference, but my ears sure can't hear it!

I noticed a significant improvement in the "anchoring" of dialogue when the center was put behind the screen. Curious to see what you think.

Tony