OT: Wives and idiot lights

oscarsear

"Honey what does this light mean?" As the Mrs. was ready to drive off to work this morning THAT was her 'oh-by-the-way' question. It was a run flat alarm light. How long has this been on, I asked? "Oh, i noticed it a couple of days ago." A quick inspection revealed a flat tire. A really, really, really flat tire. The vehicle is a Crossfire and the tires are low profile so she did not notice any change in how it drove.... for several days..... apparently. It would not even hold pressure as I tried to re-inflate it. The tires have less than 12K on them. Maybe repairable, most likely not. She is a home visiting nurse and drives a lot. How much for the one tire? $400.00 (installed, etc). Puuhleeeze pay attention to the little lights sweetie pie. Tell me as SOON as you see one that looks "funny" to you. Jeeesh!!!!

"Honey what does this light mean?" As the Mrs. was ready to drive off to work this morning THAT was her 'oh-by-the-way' question. It was a run flat alarm light. How long has this been on, I asked? "Oh, i noticed it a couple of days ago." A quick inspection revealed a flat tire. A really, really, really flat tire. The vehicle is a Crossfire and the tires are low profile so she did not notice any change in how it drove.... for several days..... apparently. It would not even hold pressure as I tried to re-inflate it. The tires have less than 12K on them. Maybe repairable, most likely not. She is a home visiting nurse and drives a lot. How much for the one tire? $400.00 (installed, etc). Puuhleeeze pay attention to the little lights sweetie pie. Tell me as SOON as you see one that looks "funny" to you. Jeeesh!!!!

At $35 a visit she grosses, tell her that will be 13 visits before taxes!! She'll change her tune real quick!!

Roger

Just be glad it wasn't an OIL light. Those usally mean a blown motor and an I meant to tell you there was a light on.

A friend of mines wife drove arround for a couple of days without the oil plug in the pan, until the engine seized. He asked her; "Couldn't you hear the engine sounding funny"? She stated "Yes, so I turned the radio up"! Ubelievable but true!!!!

Roger

• Moderators

I don't think I'm ever going to get one of those (the wife, not the crossfire)

Sure you can just go to a dating service and add that to you requirements " Crossfire driving female who is not afraid to live with big speakers " ! That might make it a little tougher but if your going that far might as well add Bikini model with her own $ ! Go full speed if your going to go. [:D]

Yep, the tire is shot. $340 to replace it. The Crossfire is a neat little car. We have the roadster. I barely fit into it and still wish for more leg room. We got it winter before last. Chrysler found a warehouse full of these from 2005 they had not sold. They had leased them to their employees and most just got put into storage. Paid under $20K for a vehicle with around 2000 miles on it and a full warranty. It was essentially new for less than half price. Recently there was an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern where he was in Puerto Rico. He was the guest of some gal who drove the exact same Crossfire as the Mrs. I can only hope she pays more attention to those various warning lights.

My friends sister's Jag died on her back in May cause she had not changed the oil for over a year[:S].

Had to buy a new engine.

She's a sweetheart and I love her like a sister but she gave me cannon fodder for the rest of our lives!!

NOT AT JOKE: Buddy of mine pulls the leaky radiator from his wifes car. Then goes in the house for a potty break. Meanwhile his wife comes out of the house, closes the hood, takes off for town. She was going interstate speeds when the motor seized. He is still not over it. Just bring it up again when talking.[6]

Sister changes her own oil, forgets to tighten the drain plug.

Plug falls out on the interstate, oil light come on.

She completes the drive home, about 15 minutes.

Puts a new plug in, fills the oil up, drives it for two more years.

Mercury Bobcat

Sister changes her own oil, forgets to tighten the drain plug.

Plug falls out on the interstate, oil light come on.

She completes the drive home, about 15 minutes.

Puts a new plug in, fills the oil up, drives it for two more years.

Mercury Bobcat

Bobcat,

It took my friends wife 2 or 3 days of driving without the oil plug in the pan before she seized the engine. If you remember there use to be a commercial where they filled two engines with two differant kinds of oil, then drained the pans and left both engines run wide open throttle until one seized to prove their oil offered superior protection. As long as the engine does not get hot enough to fry the film of oil or run high enough RPM to work that small film out, the engine can run for a long time before seizure occurs. Every time you start your cars engine, the oil has drained out of the system, and your bearring see a dry start, this is where most engines see most of their wear, unless you went for a super long time on extremely dirty, cooked, old oil.

Roger

sounds like you're still ahead of this deal, unlike the Range Rover.

Speaking of the Range Rover, we were driving it home from breakfast one icy, slushy morning this last winter. Roads had ice ruts about 8 inches deep and lots of slushy water. Were slurping through this mess and suddenly every idiot light it had and any audio alarms went berserk. We had failure lights for lights, hydraulics, hill descent control, you name it and it was lit. But it was running, steering and riding just fine (road conditions notwithstanding). So we nursed it home, let it dry off and everything was fine. Range Rover said we must have got something 'wet' or we had ice lodged inside a wheel widget of some sort. I reminded them that this was supposed to be some sort of off road durable vehicle and they reminded me that "it did not fail at all, it just thought it did".

Russ, The turbo would be the first thing to be damaged in that situation. Roger

The T-bird was supercharged, not turbocharged. Screw compressor type not exhuast driven turbo. I think it has low pressure bearing oil feed but I could be wrong about that. In her case the whole engine was toast, fully cooked! That's a shame it was a really nice car, best of the modern T-birds.

Thanx, Russ

Russ, The turbo would be the first thing to be damaged in that situation. Roger

The T-bird was supercharged, not turbocharged. Screw compressor type not exhuast driven turbo. I think it has low pressure bearing oil feed but I could be wrong about that. In her case the whole engine was toast, fully cooked! That's a shame it was a really nice car, best of the modern T-birds.

Thanx, Russ

Russ,

I am a gear head, and in paticular a Ford one. I have recently been doing research on modifications for a friend on the 4 cylinder Turbo Coupe engiines and SVO Mustangs as he has one putting out over 400HP in a totally custom Rock Crawler. The much lower production 6 cylinder Thunderbird SC never made it into my thought process!!

Roger