Zu Essence

Macallan

This is a good place to ask if you want votes to sway to the RF7's.

I have heard the Zu lineup and am impressed with them, especially in 2 channel listening. But if you want to compare the Essence to RF7's, that is not a fair comparrison. The Essence list for $5000.00 and RF7's list for $2200.00, if you pay full msrp.

But for me and my personal listening tastes, the RF7's are what I like.

This is a good place to ask if you want votes to sway to the RF7's.

I have heard the Zu lineup and am impressed with them, especially in 2 channel listening. But if you want to compare the Essence to RF7's, that is not a fair comparrison. The Essence list for $5000.00 and RF7's list for $2200.00, if you pay full msrp.

But for me and my personal listening tastes, the RF7's are what I like.

You're assuming cost has relevance to performance. I've not found this to be true in any sense. Cost has relevance to cost, that's all. Some engineers can achieve outstanding performance inexpensively, others are not good enough to do that and their products cost more.

The comparison is fair.

Dave

Dave it sounds like to me that woodsman is saying the rf-7's beat the zu's and also cost much less. He's saying it's not a fair comparison because the rf-7's kick their butt. Sort of like sonus faber grand piano homes aren't fair to forte II's, because they are about as good in some areas and not as good in others, yet cost a hell of a lot more.

I already own the RF-7s, have for 5 years. I am happy with the sound but always curious what else is out there. I want more midrange presence while still maintaing the dynamics of the RF-7s. The P-37Fs look interesting (not happy they are made in China) and the Zu Essence look like a potential. I have also read great things about the upcoming Gallo Acoustics Ref 3.5. I ask on the Klipsch forum because I know that Klipsch owners value the same type of sound that I do but I am open to trying other brands if the price/performance is there.

I am happy with the sound but always curious what else is out there. I want more midrange presence while still maintaing the dynamics of the RF-7s.

If you are willing to go $5K, there are some bargains out there right now. Check out B&W N802's and Revel Studio's (I's not the II's).

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1251681044

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1251927323&/B-W-Nautilus-802S-1-owner--Dar

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1250281700&/Revel-Ultima-Studio-

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1250274986&/Revel-Ultima-Studio-(High-Glos

• 3 weeks later...

The P-37Fs look interesting (not happy they are made in China)

I'm fairly certain that all of the Palladium series products are made in Hope, Arkansas. Can anyone confirm?

I believe Amy confirmed that only the 39's are made inthe US.

i just found a pair of zu def pro's as well and they are pretty nice (not sure how they compare to the essence) but for the money they are a fine speaker. the bass can be setup to an almost "oh my god" type of setup, the front (mids and highs) are right up there with some of the best single drivers i have heard soundstage is on par with most high quality speakers offered today..................they are a little tricky to get set-up properly (i am not there yet in my opinion) but they do give glimpses of what is possiable if you are close enough you are welcome to stop in for an audition........i can also state the guys at zu are wonderful to deal with i bought my speakers used and they had no problems helping me with set-up tips

Joe

Joe,

Congrats on the Def Pro's. I'm really loving mine! What amp are you using to drive the subwoofer array? I'm using a Behringer EP2500 which works amazingly, and for $250 for a new one shipped simply can't be beat.

The Rane EQ definitely takes time to get dialed in, but wow! These speakers sound so amazing! Absolutely the best "conventional" cone speaker for the price I have ever heard on the used market.

Now, I need to replace the fan on my EP2500. A replacement fan is $10 and about 30 minutes of time.

Dave

hello strummin

i have a crown K-2, but am thinking about behringer monos, a little more versatile i think. did you get a manual with yours ???? i contacted adam to get zu's base line starting point for the rane and that helped a little, so right now i have those settings on channel A, and am playing with X-Over points and settings on channel B (in 5 band) pretty cool that you can just flip the switches to compare the 2..............i am also using the template (downloadable from rane) to keep track of where i have been and where i am going...........................we need to get togeather and compare notes on this rane. also if you did get a manual that is of an consaquence i would love to get a copy either emailed or mailed i would pay for your trouble of course

Joe

• 1 month later...

I have been to Ogden a few times to ski. I wanted to try to get away to visit the local Zu showroom but the snow was to good. I heard a pair of the druids in New Hampshire at Fidelis in Derry, NH a while back. They sounded very good, but different to my tastes. Sme claim that klipsch horns color the sound. I do not hear this but I did notice a specific sound coloration from the Zus. But this one situation, one set up, on one day, in a show room. I do not know if they have since gotten any of the newer models. For what it is worth, I really enjoy my Zu 103 cartridige.