Am building my first theater room ever

chrisgood

have a 22'x22' room wi 21' ceilings, a 52" sony LCD... need to buy speakers, a blueray/dvd player and a reciever. Am leaning toward buying the Klipsch cinema 10 package which consists of 4 rsx-5 book shelf speakers a rcx-4 center and a rw10-d sub woofer... my question is... do you guys think these will be enough to fill my room? Speaker size is a consideration (wife input) because the room is not a dedicated media room.... i just built the house and pre-wired all the speaker locations on the walls. Also... which reciever would you reccomend if this system is indeed adequate. I could spend up to 1300 or so for the receiver... my budget for the the whole package is $3500...

Hi Chris,

Welcome aboard...Great idea to build a theater room.

That is a pretty large room for a Cinema 10. I would recommend buying bigger L/R/C speakers at a minimum. That way you won't outgrow it. Unless you hang around here. [:)] The C10 is a good system but that room may be too big if you want to play it real loud. The Wife Acceptane Factor (WAF) is always an issue so you may not have a choice.

The room size by the way is a real problem because all the dimensions are the same. This means you are going to have some problem frequecies in the room. Can you alter walls at all to change the dimensions?

Well i actually kind of rounded the measurements... the room is a "great room" the exterior wall is a curved wall with a two story bank of windows.... the space is actually about 17.5' by 22' but it is connected to the 2 story foyer which is about 12'x12' so i kind of rounded the space to guestimate how much cubic space there was for the sound to dissapate into.... the way the viewing area is set up it is probably more like 17'x19' the rest of the space is more to the side... the speakers will not be aimed that direction.

Acoustically, the whole space acts as one, so you in effect don't have the "square" issues that it seemed from your first post. Although, the space is actually larger than you're quoting, to the speakers anyway. But why am I chiming in? You're getting it right from a speaker designer. :)

Those speakers just aren't designed to fill that space. I'm thinking I would balance your budget more towards speakers and less on the receiver. Maybe even start off with a used receiver. You could get a nice used receiver that didn't have the latest of sound processing and spend a few hundred dollars.

I've been trying to post pics of the room... cannot seem to figure out how to do it.... :P speaker size is more the concern than $$... there is really no room at the front of the room for floor standers... I don't know... am getting discouraged... I know this is blasphemy on this site.... but is there any company anywhere that makes a wall mounted speaker that would do the job?? I wouldn't mind a larger wall mounted speaker... say 12"x18"...... but what I use really does have to be wall mounted... floor standers are not an option. I appreciate all your advice.... I wish I could use the floor standers but between the wife and the way the room is laid out... it really is nigh impossibe (at least if you take aesthetics into consideration at all)

The Ultra2 LCR's would work great in this application. To fit in your budget, you could go with a cheap used sub and surrounds for the time being. (That's exactly what I'm doing...) At least this way, when the upgrade bug bites you then you don't have to replace LCR's just build on what you have. :) A little more up front, but savings in the long run.

And don't be scared off by the high retail numbers on those. They can be had much cheaper. I see lots of posts about how they sound great and all, but geez look at the price! In actuallity, they can be had for not much more than a Reference system.

• Moderators

Whoops, I found the ultra2 was under kl-525-thx LCR on the klipsch site.... now we are getting somewhere :)

[Y] Now that would blow the set you were thinking about off the wall ! Much better choice.

Although that line of subs are expensive they are very good also I have heard them in two different home theaters. One of the homes I heard them at was Colterphoto's I was sitting about 8' from his dual THX sub's and it blew a napkin off my lap, I kept looking at the ceiling to see if there was an AC vent or something and DrWho sitting next to me started laughing at my surprise. [Y] Not that that is a goal but when you hear people saying they can feel a breeze from a sub, well now I know what they are talking about !

Yeah... I'm learning.... and it's also a whole new price point.... this slippery slope of no return.... :P But... I'm already sliding so I may as well give in and enjoy the ride :) If I use these for R and L what should I use for center, surround sound, and Bass??? I am trying to figure out if I could somehow find a way to mount the same speaker for my center... though could be challenging a long flat one would work better for under my flatscreen

• Moderators

It is more $ but I would guess if you went with your original idea you would change it out in time which cost much more in the long run. I would at least keep the front 3 the same that is very important, I would also stick with 5.1 to keep the cost down, not much recorded in 6.1 or 7.1 and you could always add later.

If nothing else get a couple at a time and you will end up MUCH better off in the long run. Almost everyone here has moved on over the years to bigger and better, costing much more in the end.

There are many opinions here but overall no one will steer you wrong, listen to all of it and go from there, you will save in the long run, and end up with a killer setup ! [Y]

That's exactly how I'm doing it. I'm only buying the front three right now. Next time I'll get the surrounds and the Third chunk will get me the subs. Probably a two year process for me. In the meantime I'm using surrounds and subs from my old system which do a reasonable job.

I only mentioned the option because they met your criteria, not because everyone MUST HAVE the biggest baddest, etc.

If you go this route, you really need to get a 650 for the center as well.